• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I absolutely hate one train operation unless it's quiet enough for some air gates to still be empty when the train comes back in. If it's that quiet at the moment (and I get the impression that it is) then that's fine by me.

One train was perfectly fine when I was there the other day. Nemesis and air both opened with one train, however I never did then again later so unsure if they added more, but queue boards had everything at 0 all day anyway. TH13TEEN was on two trains but they were only filling one, and even struggling to do that at points during the day!

uXPcIav.png

It was the same on Monday - everything was walk-on all day. I'd never seen the park so empty before.
People waiting until Scarefest, perhaps?

It's no surpise that the park is so dead at the moment. This is usually the quietest time of the year regardless and with the fallout from The Smiler incident and reduced guest numbers it must be almost empty!

:)

I think we all predicted September/early October would be dead It's that awkward middle bit between the summer holidays and Halloween/Fireworks/Christmas, no one wants to be visiting attractions this time of the year.

Who would pay when if you hold off a couple of weeks and get scarefest. That and the fact that kids are in school.

Have to admit, I have to admire Alton Towers for sticking to their originally advertised opening dates at the start of the season, and staying open every day.

Given the level of attendance, it would have made sense to close midweek for 2 or 3 days a week since the summer holidays ended, but I suppose they felt committed after publishing the dates already, especially with hotel bookings etc.

Some years ago under Tussauds I'm pretty sure we used to get midweek closures in April and September, but I might be mis-remembering.

Here is how wait times have shaped up this September:
egsW8hz.png

Shows average wait time across 6 main rollercoasters in minutes throughout the day.

The 21st, 28th and 29th, none of the main rollercoasters posted a wait of longer than 0 minutes all day. The same happened today (1st October) as well.

Last edited:
Some years ago under Tussauds I'm pretty sure we used to get midweek closures in April and September, but I might be mis-remembering.

Thorpe definitely used to have weekday closures in September around 10-15 years ago. I don't think Towers did, probably because of the hotel(s). Chessington also used to be zoo only on some September days.

I'm not sure whether Towers have had close days during open season but Thorpe has been open every day of open season, at least since 2006 when I started visiting regularly after a 5 year gap when I think it was weekends only from September before closing fully late October.

Chessington has only started remaining open every day of open season since 2011 and before hand would just open the zoo. There was in fact a time that the zoo at Chessington didn't even open at all and when the park during closed season would remain just closed.

Legoland on the other hand still implement closed days during open season where most Tuesday's & Wednesday's in March, April, September & October the park remains closed.

Towers went through a period of "reduced operations" in September in the late DIC era. It featured the joys of single trains on coasters and most flats not opening 'til the afternoon.

Hello,
long time lurker etc...
Thorpe is open the week after Fright Nights,
it's a Sun Readers week,
went last year, amazing day,
only queue was Colossus.
The closure rumour was on Thorpe Park Mania via another site.
Thorpe's website shows it is open that week.

Some news... Alton Towers website states that The Flume will be closed from 10th October, and won't operate for the rest of the season.

Well with the weather on the turn, I can see it having low use during this part of season.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.