• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The secret is out guys, Air is being turned from a B&M into a Vekoma! It's on their marketing pics. Brand new coaster confirmed. ;)

Only just realised that portal concept art is at the bottom of the first drop! I assumed that was on the lift hill but the gate suggests otherwise... they haven't bothered photoshopping the on ride photos cameras out of it... it would be so awesome if the internals of that portal ring (ahem!) made the camera flashes lol

the ride's original name will still be shown, as it is on the front of the train in the publicity picture.

the ride's original name will still be shown, as it is on the front of the train in the publicity picture.
Actually, they say "air space travel" on the front. Not so much the rides original name. More likely a "space sounding word" or possibly a light reference.

Actually, they say "air space travel" on the front. Not so much the rides original name. More likely a "space sounding word" or possibly a light reference.

Sure I heard them say "air space technologies" as well, which I also think is a bit pants.

Seems to be trying "too hard" as it were to cram the two themes together, time will tell of course, but I don't understand why they didn't develop the air concept rather than squeezing it into a space one.

All based on current info of course, could work well, I just think it was the parks classiest idea and now it feels a bit... I dunno. Xbox.

^^yes, but it conta
yes, but it contains a reference to the ride's original name, "Air space travel"

I think it a nod to the past. We know all too well towers like to add little hidden nods. Like the washing machine on smilers screen

Sure I heard them say "air space technologies" as well, which I also think is a bit pants.

Seems to be trying "too hard" as it were to cram the two themes together, time will tell of course, but I don't understand why they didn't develop the air concept rather than squeezing it into a space one.

All based on current info of course, could work well, I just think it was the parks classiest idea and now it feels a bit... I dunno. Xbox.

Because star wars came out this year! And nobody is going to get the IP for that so this is the next best thing :)

Just read about this and I'm disappointed - apart from the concrete tunnel I think Air is perfect as it is, including the themeing and music etc. I don't want it to be a virtual reality rollercoaster. Does anyone else feel this way?

Will the VR be optional?

Yes i'm totally with you on this. I love Air, the music, those blue lights, and the floaty feeling it gives you. Instead of VR it would have been good to spend the money on actually putting some new themeing in place, such as the lakes and waterfalls you were supposed to fly over in the initial design spec. And of course, the tunnel!

However, one also has to accept that times change, and in order for a theme park and its rides to continue to pull in people, they need to modernise with the times, and with the introduction of VR on some coasters around Europe, it is inevitable it would have eventually come to Alton.

What other ride could they have chosen for the VR project? I dont know, RMT maybe, or a VR log flume/coaster type of ride in place of the Flume.... who knows. I guess Air fitted the bill for what they wanted to do this time around.

Yes i'm totally with you on this. I love Air, the music, those blue lights, and the floaty feeling it gives you. Instead of VR it would have been good to spend the money on actually putting some new themeing in place, such as the lakes and waterfalls you were supposed to fly over in the initial design spec. And of course, the tunnel!

However, one also has to accept that times change, and in order for a theme park and its rides to continue to pull in people, they need to modernise with the times, and with the introduction of VR on some coasters around Europe, it is inevitable it would have eventually come to Alton.

What other ride could they have chosen for the VR project? I dont know, RMT maybe, or a VR log flume/coaster type of ride in place of the Flume.... who knows. I guess Air fitted the bill for what they wanted to do this time around.

I don't know why thy couldn't have still introduced VR and kept the existing theme and name which everyone is familiar with.

There is nothing worse than rethemes of large high profile attractions because it's so obvious it's just the same ride in new packaging. It actually looks really unprofessional to erase and try to ignore the past incarnation of one of the parks headline concept rides.

Merlin don't innovate they just chase trends - sticking virtual reality on a coaster and cashing in on Star Wars.

Last edited:

yeah, the RMT would be interesting with VR, riders speeding around a disused mine, and crashing through safety barriers etc!

I think The Smiler would have worked well with VR, it's a ride with a long length and the inversions mess with your mind. Obviously what with the crash that wouldn't be possible now.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.