• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I think The Smiler would have worked well with VR, it's a ride with a long length and the inversions mess with your mind. Obviously what with the crash that wouldn't be possible now.

I couldn't think of anything worse. The smiler makes me feel like I'm going to Vom half way corrected.

The one thing that strikes me is how precise the train speed has to be now to properly sync with the video. I was always under the impression that rides did vary their speed over a day. At least with my last visit to flamingo land that seemed pretty evident!

The one thing that strikes me is how precise the train speed has to be now to properly sync with the video. I was always under the impression that rides did vary their speed over a day. At least with my last visit to flamingo land that seemed pretty evident!

I think with VR you could stop and it would still be ok as its not a video you're watching, it's a realtime world. (Virtual Reality) it's pinpointing where you Really are and plotting you within the Virtual World. If that makes sense?!

Unless they have a way of changing the video time and position depending on the ride status, I'd imagine it's more of a start the video when the train goes?

Unless they have a way of changing the video time and position depending on the ride status, I'd imagine it's more of a start the video when the train goes?

That's not Virtual Reality though.

Virtual reality works when you tilt your head and look in different directions. What you're talking about is a set video synced with a ride... Would this be looking down or looking ahead?

That's not Virtual Reality though.

Virtual reality works when you tilt your head and look in different directions. What you're talking about is a set video synced with a ride... Would this be looking down or looking ahead?
My understanding is that it's going to be like these 360º videos that are appearing on youtube. Especially because it's using the Gear VR headsets I imagine it'll be exactly like that. It's going to be a video that you can also see different parts of by tilting your head around. My point is how will they make sure that each point in the video is perfectly synced with the position on the track. By the end of the ride a couple of seconds out could make people feel pretty ill.

My understanding is that it's going to be like these 360º videos that are appearing on youtube. Especially because it's using the Gear VR headsets I imagine it'll be exactly like that. It's going to be a video that you can also see different parts of by tilting your head around. My point is how will they make sure that each point in the video is perfectly synced with the position on the track. By the end of the ride a couple of seconds out could make people feel pretty ill.

That's my point exactly. What you're describing isn't Virtual Reality.

The headset will be synced up with whatever controls the video/VR world, I have heard that there may be sensors on the track but I can't say for sure.

EP's works with variable train speeds in a powered coaster though so it shouldn't be an issue.

:)

The headset will be synced up with whatever controls the video/VR world, I have heard that there may be sensors on the track but I can't say for sure.

EP's works with variable train speeds in a powered coaster though so it shouldn't be an issue.

:)
Perhaps it could work with existing track sensors? I guess we'll know more soon!

That's my point exactly. What you're describing isn't Virtual Reality.
VR is just a computer generated image that you can interact with, in this case that interaction is where you are looking. Yeah it's not full blown wondering around a virtual room, but this is after all being billed as a VR coaster.

Have none of you watched the video of the one they fitter in (I think) Germany to their version of the runaway mine train? Shows how it works. I'll look for it and post it again

Found it, now clearly galactica will have an evolved version of this but it shows you how the car positioning and speed works

Well maybe I'm wrong and all of the trains will have a little computer say in them. Interesting to see what happens regardless.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.