• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Does it matter that it's set in 3016?

"Well... This theme park isn't very realistic... I wanted something down to earth and grounded. Next time I'm at Disneyland I'm going to tell Micky Mouse about this absurd place, he will laugh"

Not a typo unless they've made the same mistake about 5 times ;) seen 3016 across the website, and the map, it says something along the lines of "spaceport set in 3016" not sure the theme will work for those without VR though, spaceport, concrete tunnel, and it's broken down.

Thats a point...

Whats gonna happen with the VR when the ride occasionally stops for a while on the lift hill? Either the movement in the video would need to stop, or a a screen showing "minor breakdown" or something would have to be shown on the screen, and lets be honest that'd freak a few people out.

Either that or the VR would just turn off, which is the logical option, but would really spoil the illusion.

:)

Last edited:
Thats a point...

Whats gonna happen with the VR when the ride occasionally stops for a while on the lift hill? Either the movement in the video would need to stop, or a a scree showing "minor breakdown" or something would have to be shown on the scree, and lets be honest that'd freak a few people out.

Either that or the VR would just turn off, which is the logical option, but would really spoil the illusion.

The VR world will be synced with the train's movements on the track, so it if you stop then you will just stop moving through the VR world. Same for when/if the lift slows down to allow the train in front to clear (although I doubt that will happen often with reduced throughputs).

So if you stop you'll still be able to look around at the world you are in, you just won't be moving through it!

Does it matter that it's set in 3016?

"Well... This theme park isn't very realistic... I wanted something down to earth and grounded. Next time I'm at Disneyland I'm going to tell Micky Mouse about this absurd place, he will laugh"
There is a difference between realism and a coherent story. Of course the nemesis story isn't realistic, but at least it fits in with the rest of the area. Galactica is saying that even though the area you can see just beyond you is set in the present, you are 1000 years in the future. Doesn't make sense really.

There is a difference between realism and a coherent story. Of course the nemesis story isn't realistic, but at least it fits in with the rest of the area. Galactica is saying that even though the area you can see just beyond you is set in the present, you are 1000 years in the future. Doesn't make sense really.
But... Once you enter the queue in theory you have entered the future. The air queue line is far enough away from the rest of FV to allow you to suspend the link between the two. Equally once you're on the ride you won't be able to see the area 'just beyond you' because of the VR

Yes it's a bit of a jump but it's not too ridiculous to imagine. Air has always been set a wee bit back from the rest of the Valley.

Are we talking about a coherent story or realism?

I thought your point was it being in the future not that it doesn't tie in with fv?

Air never fit in with forbidden valley.

And I remember Alton towers before Nemesis Leah, the area was made to fit around that not the other way around.

There was once a roller coaster where air now sits called the new beast, no theming and no relation to the area at all. And imo it was better than air.

I don't find time travel too hard of a theory to grasp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think the music is great. I liked the original Air track, but it was far too short a loop. This appears much longer.

:D

So, the "other" site has posted pics of the makeover so far.
still no evidence of the launch portal which I thought they would have been cracking on with by now, and the concrete tunnel is still there in all its glory o_O
what are they actually doing?! not a lot it would seem
I would post a link, but dont wanna get in trouble :) ... go find :p

Well considering it doesn't open until April. they've still got over six weeks for things to be done. The launch portal can be knocked together in a day or two, and the tunnel won't take any longer than a week.

Remember, everything always gets left to the last minute.

ahh good point, last minute...
what was I thinking :rolleyes:
A pit of plywood and a can of silver spray paint, job done.

bye the bye, I have to say Nemmy track painted in pristine white.. looks yummy and think they should keep it like that.

and yes I'm posting the pic,
Thanks to TT, even if I didnt ask them :)
7.jpg

bye the bye, I have to say Nemmy track painted in pristine white.. looks yummy and think they should keep it like that.

7.jpg

Is that primer and it will be painted or is that it?

Also going back to Air, sorry Galactica. Everything mainly the concrete is in desperate need of a pressure wash.

If they're seriously passing it off as a new ride it needs to look tip top.

That goes for the smiler too.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahh good point, last minute...
what was I thinking :rolleyes:
A pit of plywood and a can of silver spray paint, job done.

and yes I'm posting the pic,
Thanks to TT, even if I didnt ask them :)
7.jpg
Airs track looks good too. But looking away from it, look at the air shop. The "box" doesn't look too bad from this angle. It des look like something is being built on top of the RCR though. Looks like mutant racers and refresh @ ripsaw's fence is still there though, which suggests to me that the "air" in tiles will stay (still a while yet though, but I doubt they would get rid of it).

As for nemesis's track, th white actually looks good, but am I right by saying there is rust effect on the supports which does look quite good. Can't see the station in that photo, but judging be how the maintenance shipping container looks, not much has happened to the station.

I am hoping the portal is being made in sections off site. With weather durible materials so it still looks good in 6 years time

If the portal is still being created it will be like any other piece of theming that's made. They make it off site and take a few days to install it.

The Air track has just been given a clean, no repaint happening.

Looks like all of the work is being concentrated on the building right now. You can see they're covering up the queue in the station area. I agree that the concrete and external areas need to be cleaned. If it's being advertised as new it needs to look new.

TS Facebook are reporting that parts of the portal theming are sitting in the car park. (Don't know how to post pictures)

TS Facebook are reporting that parts of the portal theming are sitting in the car park. (Don't know how to post pictures)

Can't TS Facebook post it here for us lol?

For those who despise that heathenish pile of steaming turd.

(To clarify: Facebook, not Towers, can understand how one may misinterpret that)

Oh, OK then!

Looks fairly substantial!

It's not a satellite. Or a shipping container. Or fibreglass.

Aside from the fact I don't like the theme/music track/idea of riding it with glasses on, and the Argos style lunch bags strapped to the front of the chairs, the restaurant building doesn't look as bad as I thought (though it substantial viewing space away - not that it was ever busy) and the areas definitely getting a fair bit of attention.

My dislike of it is a matter of taste, clearly effort is being put in.

Promising, but we'll see.

I'm fairly gutted they have built on the side of the old shop, I used to love standing there watching the ride go round. Kinda removes JW's love of building in a viewing area for those not going on the ride, least with air there is the bit further round where you can see the ride closer to the entrance.

I'm fairly gutted they have built on the side of the old shop, I used to love standing there watching the ride go round. Kinda removes JW's love of building in a viewing area for those not going on the ride, least with air there is the bit further round where you can see the ride closer to the entrance.

Agree entirely. I liked standing there watching it, but it never seemed a particularly busy area as I mentioned so I can reluctantly understand it - and it will be more imposing.

It is however, as you say, another chip out of Wardley's legacy. Which is most certainly a shame.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.