• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Biggest rise in attendance for Towers when it first opened?

Irrespective of the issues surrounding the ride, it's not wrong to state it was a success for the park...

But not exactly a great investment since last year. I doubt the VR will be either when the novelty has worn off

But not exactly a great investment since last year. I doubt the VR will be either when the novelty has worn off
Off topic, but I personally think that the smiler was a good investment. What happened last year could have happened on any ride at any park, regardless of weather it was a good investment originally.

Really? I can't see it being around as long as Nemesis Oblivion or Corkscrew (RIP), or even air for that matter. It's caused no end of problems and if they're struggling to maintain it now I dread to think what it'll be like in 10-15 years time.

Anyway. Back to Galactica..

I think The Smiler is amazing in many ways. Sure it's rough as Gerst coasters always are, the quality of the build was compromised by an appalling winter, its somewhat repetitive, and the theme seems a great idea done on a budget, but...

...it makes amazing use of the space available, it won Towers a headline grabbing world record despite stifling planning limitations, its incredibly imposing as you queu under it, and it really does what it says on the tin. I always come off it grinning like a Cheshire cat even thought I don't know why. It can't stand up to Nemesis, but then what can.

I groaned at the idea of sticking VR onto Air, it seemed pointless, but the graphics look great, the space theme may stand out like a sore thumb from off the ride, but could be immerse ON the ride and it seems to have the backing of JW. It's starting to win me over, but I won't know for sure until I ride it.

Last edited:
Brief word on The Smiler aspect of discussion.

It won me over big time, it's not done to the standard it could have been, but it's a fantastic coaster. Something addictive about riding it.

air never did that for me at all. Neither has Oblivion.

Nemesis goes without saying, even though I just said it.

The YouTube video suggests that music, sound effects and voice over will be part of the Galactica experience.

Does anyone know how this will be conveyed to riders? Is it speakers on the train, speakers round the track, or do the visors have headphones? I genuinely don't know.

I would imagine they'd build it in to the visors so that people queuing can't hear everything that's happening, but they'll probably have some speakers around the track as well to make the experience more immersive

Be surprised if they didn't have audio in the headset holder thingies.

Be a bit naff, prepare for your flight.

CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK

"themed"

doctor-evil-quote.jpg

At least it's not like the god-awful Smiler uniform, I suppose...

Wow. Safety boots, black trousers and blue fleece with logo on left breast. Its like my colleges estates uniform before the rebranding.

Looking at the length of the securing cable that is connected to eyelets on the restraint, I'd say that the headsets are stored in the "fanny pack" if not used, and removed when in use. You can see the securing cable running into the three unused seats in the above picture.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.