• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
b408bf4f30da643d1d8cac8f40549e20.jpg

Nice picture. Portal looks great in the dark

However from reading comments on social media there already seems to be a bit of a kick off when people realise its just A modified Air rather than a new ride.

Does anyone else anticipate a bit of a backlash once the ride opens and people turn up expecting a brand new coaster..?

b408bf4f30da643d1d8cac8f40549e20.jpg

Nice picture. Portal looks great in the dark

However from reading comments on social media there already seems to be a bit of a kick off when people realise its just A modified Air rather than a new ride.

Does anyone else anticipate a bit of a backlash once the ride opens and people turn up expecting a brand new coaster..?
yes, i do! they'll probably also be annoyed with the Media, who have been calling it a "new" ride in many articles.

Not sure if it has already been mentioned but an advert was filmed a couple of weeks ago so perhaps we should be expecting it to appear tonight or at least very soon?

Just been on Galactica as they opened it for a preview, pretty impressed. Completely submerged in the visuals (despite them being a bit blurry due to not having much time to focus) and like others completely lost track of layout.

The dispatch time was not as bad as I thought, after 4-5 minutes we were tilted into position and on our way (and that was including a bit of a faff sorting out some seats not giving the green light :p)

Apologies if this has already been posted before but been following this thread and don't remember seeing it already. Talks more about Gear VR and the tech involved...

I love the look of the portal, it's really well designed and presented. I really hope they maintain it and keep it performing/working as it should do.

Re. the marketing of this as a new ride, that's quite misleading and probably won't do them any favours should the GP come expecting something brand new. A new "experience" would probably have seen them do better. Towers seem to have a habit of marketing and pushing things incorrectly (Th13teen immediately springs to mind).

They went the wrong way with marketing. If they dropped the whole 'new ride' and 'world's first' malarkey, and instead concentrated on pushing the VR then I think it would have had a better reaction. "New ride" has somewhat overshadowed the fact this is the UKs first VR roller coaster. Six Flags announced they were implementing VR on their coasters and everyone has been talking about it... If Towers simply went with VR, VR, VR, VR, and maybe mentioned they are Samsung headsets, I think this would have gained more interest than it has.

"The world's first rollercoaster entirely dedicated to virtual reality" - It just sounds ridiculous. 'Uhh yeah, other roller coasters have virtual reality, but we at Alton Towers Resort are ENTIRELY dedicated to it'. I'm not sure whether it's Towers marketing team or the pressure from those higher up/Merlin, but they really need to stop with this rubbish.

Seeing as Six Flags have already opened their VR rides, does that nullify Towers' claim to the world's first? Ignoring the fact that EP did a whole season before anyone else

Does every ride that Towers/Merlin makes now has to be a world's first? I've already said this before but if they keep going about World's first this and World's first that, it will be their ultimate undoing.

They'll frankly run out of ideas of what they can be build as a world's first then they'll be force to either build a 'normal' and good ride or worse, not build anything at all. I'd hate to be right for once.

Does every ride that Towers/Merlin makes now has to be a world's first? I've already said this before but if they keep going about World's first this and World's first that, it will be their ultimate undoing.

They'll frankly run out of ideas of what they can be build as a world's first then they'll be force to either build a 'normal' and good ride or worse, not build anything at all. I'd hate to be right for once.

It worked for Oblivion.... And that's it.

And Th13teen too... As I know it's not loved by all but was innovative.

Seeing as Six Flags have already opened their VR rides, does that nullify Towers' claim to the world's first? Ignoring the fact that EP did a whole season before anyone else

Galactica is not a world's first, simple as. Towers can pretend it is as much as they like but it just isn't! They wanted it to be but were beaten to it by EP, Universal and Six Flags.

:)

It worked for Oblivion.... And that's it.

And Th13teen too... As I know it's not loved by all but was innovative.

What I'm saying that there's nothing wrong about having at least having a world's first once or twice, I'm just saying that now Towers should be thinking of moving away from world first's and going back to basics and keeping it simple.

Has anyone that has looked into/been on the other VR coasters managed to come up with how Galactica is "fully dedicated" and the rest aren't? I can't imagine what exactly a coaster partially dedicated to VR would even be like - and if you are not forced to wear the VR headsets on galactica then it's not "fully dedicated" at all.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.