• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Think of it like this. Is just new theming added to Air likely to pull in many new guests? Probably not. Is a new concept added to Air, i.e. VR tech, likely to pull in more guests? It's certainly more likely to. It's a relatively cheap way of providing a totally new ride experience. Just up Merlin's street!

I maintain however that I do not like VR and would not welcome its addition to Air.

:)

The washing machine wasn't really heavily rumoured. One fan site reported it as fact, and the majority of the enthusiast community shunned the whole concept...

Let's not be idiots, we know how Merlin operate, they aren't going to invest in something unless it will pull in guests, new theming alone doesn't do that. It may not be VR, but I find it likely to be VR.

Oh dear, the head rush would not be pleasant in any way, shape or form, but thankfully I don't think they would dare.

Thorpe Park's "Brave it Backwards" campaign for the swarm was not in any way successful, and to be honest, added nothing to what is already a VERY boring ride in The Swarm.

Some of you may like that ride but in my opinion, Air is 10 times the coaster, The swarm is so smoth that you get nothing from it, I like the fact that air is rickety and used.

VERY boring ride in The Swarm.

Some of you may like that ride but in my opinion, Air is 10 times the coaster, The swarm is so smoth that you get nothing from it, I like the fact that air is rickety and used.

You are entitled to your opinion even if you're wrong!

Thinking about it, some time in august orSeptember, Air had a scheduled closure until around 2:00, if there has been a telemetry logger used for VR, is there a chance that was done then? Seems like they'd track the area VR was going, and then over the next few months make the video for it, not sure why they had the scheduled closure but the telemetry logger seems like a decent possibility.

Food loop is mack owned, it's pretty rare for a theme park to enter any agreement to install a single entity at a park or a property. It's almost always a multi deal purchase normally with separate installs over multiple years or multiple parks.

I'm guessing that the food loop deal was complimented by the offering of the VR tech from mack at very little cost. Mack would love nothing more than to get this technology at other parks to encourage more sales and more development of the system.

I think the real question is what next. The food loop and VR are tiny installations in the grand scheme of things. I think something better is coming to merlin parks whether it be in the Alton, the uk or abroad...

In terms of Alton, mack could be replacing the flume, installing a new ride where the RMC launch was rumoured.

It's almost certain that the food loop and VR were the sweeteners on some bigger deal.

Merlin have been rushing over the last few years to replace food outlets with inbrand versions where they make more money. The food loop doesn't make financial sense unless it was sweetened by a bigger incentive.

I'm guessing that the food loop deal was complimented by the offering of the VR tech from mack at very little cost. Mack would love nothing more than to get this technology at other parks to encourage more sales and more development of the system.
I believe I heard from those in the know that this VR system comes from a different company (one that has never done this before) and has nothing to do with Mack.

I believe I heard from those in the know that this VR system comes from a different company (one that has never done this before) and has nothing to do with Mack.

Maybe it's a B&M?

I think it'll probably be a Mack, they've said they've got a contract in the UK as well those already announced for Cedar Fair

Merlin have been rushing over the last few years to replace food outlets with inbrand versions where they make more money. The food loop doesn't make financial sense unless it was sweetened by a bigger incentive.

The combination of VR and the food loop doesn't necessarily pave the way for something else by Mack relatively soon, they're both small enough to tie together in the same deal.

It will make financial sense when the GP see how the system works. Whenever I've shown people the video I filmed in FoodLoop at EP last year, the response is always something along the lines of we need one in the UK. The menu prices will inevitably be adjusted accordingly and it'll make a lot more money than you'd suspect.

So I've come to the conclusion that Air will be receiving a Space theme for 2016, after reading through a few of their latest articles they have used to phrases such as 'meteoric year', 'out of this world', and '#watchthisspace' when talking about Air, does anyone else agree?

So I've come to the conclusion that Air will be receiving a Space theme for 2016, after reading through a few of their latest articles they have used to phrases such as 'meteoric year', 'out of this world', and '#watchthisspace' when talking about Air, does anyone else agree?
The registered name Galactica to Merlin Entertainments gives it away too... as does the look of the logo. We've had this one worked out for quite a while now. :)

I really hope they dont screw this up, I really liked Air, the music, the theme, the idea behind it. Thing is, if they are doing space theme, they need to respray the track a darker colour surely? And the ride cars need to change colour. The music, everything.

If done the right way, and not on a small budget, then Air and the surrounding area could look very nice and turn an often dead area of the Park into a must-do.

Of course the "pre shoe area" will likely be the kiosk where they rent you the VR headsets for some ridiculous high price for one ride.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.