• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
As much as I hate the idea of VR and the inevitable queues it will no doubt form, theres no way of denying the popularity of a space theme atm. With the release of The Force Awakens & the next 3 star wars films in years to come alongside a British astronaut leaving for the ISS it's in my eyes a well planned theme which if executed correctly could be a hit as a 'new ride' for the GP and an improvement on a prototype B&M coaster which we are lucky to have. I just hope merlin really use the time over winter to create the right ride and harness the power of a partnership with the science museum to draw a new generation of thrill seekers.

Someone on the previous page mentioned the announcement would be at the science museum. That pretty much confirms VR or at least AR, otherwise the science museum would have no interest.

Such a shame, two of my favourite rides in the UK have now been spoiled by gimmicks (The other being Swarm backwards). I just hope the next gimmick is Oblivion floorless rather than Nemesis backward...

Someone on the previous page mentioned the announcement would be at the science museum. That pretty much confirms VR or at least AR, otherwise the science museum would have no interest.

Such a shame, two of my favourite rides in the UK have now been spoiled by gimmicks (The other being Swarm backwards). I just hope the next gimmick is Oblivion floorless rather than Nemesis backward...

At least you can still ride Swarm forwards. And it's nice to see someone else who likes swarm. I really don't get that people don't like it. Swarm takes a massive dump on airs flying gimmick.

I was hoping the new feature on air was going to be a belt to strap your head in.

Flying to me is being able to see where you are going.... Not a position superman did and people are convinced that is flying.

Swarm is much more of a flying sensation.

We are not birds, our necks are not supposed to bend like that

...there is no air
I'm probably not thinking to deeply into this when I say that this means air is going (so not AirGalactica as some have suggested). I'm not expecting a rita style mix of themes.

It's obviously space now and this makes VR even more likely (a good space theme can be done two ways. A) indoors or B) VR)

...you can't hear yourself scream...
Not sure about this. Either something marketing came up with because it sounds good, trying to make it seem like an intense thrill ride (is it a film reference?), or acknowledging that it's one of the tamer coasters, or that the VR headsets will restrict your hearing (never been on a VR coaster).

I'm probably not thinking to deeply into this when I say that this means air is going (so not AirGalactica as some have suggested). I'm not expecting a rita style mix of themes.

It's obviously space now and this makes VR even more likely (a good space theme can be done two ways. A) indoors or B) VR)

Not sure about this. Either something marketing came up with because it sounds good, trying to make it seem like an intense thrill ride (is it a film reference?), or acknowledging that it's one of the tamer coasters, or that the VR headsets will restrict your hearing (never been on a VR coaster).

The tag line from the original Alien film was:

"In space no one can hear you scream"

I would be the happiest lad alive if they were tying it in with the two new Alien movies that are out in 2017.

I would be the happiest lad alive if they were tying it in with the two new Alien movies that are out in 2017.

I normally hate the idea of IPs, but I would love to see that happen. Not sure how the name "galactica" would fit in though.

(Over)Thinking about it, wasn't airs original theme meant to be the opposite of nemesis (so it protects you), so now it's gone you are in danger (and then we get merlins version of alien but not alien because the ip is probably too expensive)

I'm actually really excited about the space theme.... Yeah I'm a geek!

I don't like air, but this has started to get me excited.

Especially since we have no black hole anymore.

If the loading bay is completely enclosed... Space mountain (Florida) style. I would love this so much

As much as I love the theme of air, this has so much potential. Space is such an open theme (aliens, exploring, science, ect) and gives the chance of some amazing themed features (making the tunnel into a dark section, lights and lasers in the station, queue line videos)

(Over)Thinking about it, wasn't airs original theme meant to be the opposite of nemesis (so it protects you), so now it's gone you are in danger (and then we get merlins version of alien but not alien because the ip is probably too expensive)

Nah, all just fan rumours as far as I know, the ride was always intended to be an oasis theme.

I think it would work really well, especially if they could use the real g-forces of the ride in sync with a VR experience. The enclosed station keeps you immersed in the theme as you put on and take off the VR. It satisfies the USP aspect and it's better as a fantasy "escape" into space which is what you go to a theme park for rather than flying over a carpark.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.