• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Concept art for this! If it looks like this it'll be brilliant

12507590_544688469029196_7104839567402828751_n.jpg
Yeah I think this could look pretty interesting. Imagine row after row of riders emerging from that portal, wearing VR headsets. It will be quite the spectacle with people watching and taking photos (as they already do in that spot).

I always think these kind of people watching elements can really help make a ride.

It looks like the poll on The Birmingham Mail site is slowly swinging in Alton Tower’s favour. If it told you how many people had voted it’d be more meaningful, but will be interesting to see where it settles down.

I don’t know if it’ll be any good, but it’s certainly peaked my curiosity. I’m keen to give it a go. I also agree that it’s nice to see them doing something without an IP, and in a sense it’s good to see them ‘plussing’ a ride (assuming that it does improve it. Time will tell).

Either way I’ve always enjoyed Air, and even if I don’t like the VR, I’d happily ride it without and if the extra theming’s any good, it’ll still be an improvement. It’s not like the dark rides where you can say the new theming wasn’t as good as the old. This is a ride that didn’t have much theming to begin with. And it’s about as close as we’ll come to them sorting out Air’s tunnel (wouldn’t it be funny if the VR started off with a virtual reality concrete tunnel, lovingly recreated in CGI).

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/family-kids-news/everything-you-need-know-new-10720711

Have they missed a trick here? Since Nemesis is an alien creature, couldn't the VR have been the space journey of Nemesis to Earth, and re-theme accordingly to tie into Forbidden Valley properly?

I agree, I had hoped for a nemesis theme but who knows what the full version will have in it. April was mentioned but do we know when in April?

another slight drawback: i liked waving to the riders going up the lift hill, bit with the VR they won't be able to see spectators!

Last edited:
Have they missed a trick here? Since Nemesis is an alien creature, couldn't the VR have been the space journey of Nemesis to Earth, and re-theme accordingly to tie into Forbidden Valley properly?

The great thing with VR is you can change the environment, maybe when its nemesis 25th birthday they could do a special VR of this.

According to the brum mail website that was linked earlier, it will still have a capacity of 1,500 people an hour. Will be interesting to see how close they can get to achieving this.

Well if the VR headsets are definitely attached to the ride then I imagine a large quantity of wet wipes will be used in between riders getting off/on. Cant imagine it would take too long, but then it'd be a shabby job probably maybe. It will be interesting to see how this goes. As someone who doesn't get motion sick from VR type things I'll give it a go at least once, but then probably never again.

There is one wee consolation to all this...with all the wet wipes they'll be using, some wet wipes company will be making a good profit from this!:p

Given how clean they kept the smiler restraints, I really don't think these will be too clean after the rides been open a few weeks.

Can't wait for them to introduce an upsell to this.

Free - Op wipes it with their sleeve
£1 Quick rub with a cloth
£2 Baby wipe
£3 Sprayed with disinfectant
£4 Sprayed with disinfectant, then wiped clean and dried
£10 The ultimate cleaning experience. Every cleaning experience you've ever dreamt of rolled into one.

I am wonder how long it will be before a well known red top send a reporter with a swap testing kit. And then run a headline about an bacteria eye infection being found on the headset. Sorry blindness inducing bacteria eye infection.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.