• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
surprised there isn't more on this on here by now, is everyone on holiday?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-37243884

Hopefully it was just someones phone etc rather than bits of the chain (again) or worse still a part of the car. Only issue is they may decide to adopt the same empty pockets that Universal studios have and make you leave everything in a locker then go through metal detectors to prevent this kind of thing happening again IF its a personal belonging that was seen falling.

According to Sky news there was an evacuation oooh big deal. Funny how no media outlets report any other theme park news. Nobody I've talked to knew anything about M&D's yet everyone knew that Galactica broke down on the lift hill

I'd hate to be stuck on the vertical lift. Can it be reversed for evacuation? I don't know how it works as the train usually has a ratchet to stop it going backwards.

I'd hate to be stuck on the vertical lift. Can it be reversed for evacuation? I don't know how it works as the train usually has a ratchet to stop it going backwards.
It can as the smiler uses magnetic brake fins instead of the traditional anti rollback mechanism :)

The weather forecast for tomorrow and Wednesday is beautiful - hot and sunny. Theme park weather I'm sure you would agree! Please remember that Alton Towers will be CLOSED on these days. Oh well!

:)

The weather was beautiful last Tuesday and Wednesday and I was enjoying a couple of really nice days at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and it was very busy (plus University and college students go back later than schools). When I was there I was thinking that Alton was losing out here.....

...I do wonder if these cuts/closures were implicated by Alton Management or did they came from further above from Merlin Management???

Last edited:
Good weather or not, it still won't be that busy in September. I've been to the park on glorious days in September and it's been empty.

I hate closures, but if they have to take place, September makes the most sense.

Nonsense....!!!!

...most tourist attractions would consider gate figures of at least 3000 a good turnout

Alton considered gate figure of 3000 a bad day. Alton looks empty because of the enormous size of the place and everything and everyone is spread out.

The I was told that Blackpool pleasure beach only had gate numbers of 1500 when I was there last Thursday and it appeared to be busy. Same amount of rides, but not so spread out, so this gives the illusion that the place was busy.

Nonsense....!!!!

...most tourist attractions would consider gate figures of at least 3000 a good turnout

Alton considered gate figure of 3000 a bad day. Alton looks empty because of the enormous size of the place and everything and everyone is spread out.

The I was told that Blackpool pleasure beach only had gate numbers of 1500 when I was there last Thursday and it appeared to be busy. Same amount of rides, but not so spread out, so this gives the illusion that the place was busy.

It's not "nonsense" at all. Like I said, I hate closures but that IF there has to be some, September makes the most sense as it is, historically, the quietest time of year.

And I agree that 3000 guests should be considered a success and that the park is huge and can seem empty when it isn't. But the fact of the matter is, Alton clearly have no choice over these Tuesday/Wednesday closures, so September makes the most sense. Yes it's a shame with the weather being so nice at the moment, but a lovely day in September won't attract as many guests as a lovely day in August. As I said, I have had beautiful weather at Towers in mid September in the past and yet the park has been very very quiet.

September makes the most sense as it is, historically, the quietest time of year.

It's going to be even more quieter with the midweek closures :rolleyes:

This will be my first September in years that I won't be visiting. Blame the ride and midweek closures.....

It's going to be even more quieter with the midweek closures :rolleyes:

This will be my first September in years that I won't be visiting. Blame the ride and midweek closures.....

Like I said, it's disappointing. But it's the only time of year that makes sense if their have to be closures (although it was closed a few days in April I believe). It's just a shame such cuts have been put in place to begin with.

And with the similar early season closures, the park was still very quiet on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Sadly it sort of proves them right.

I visited the park on two separate occasions during the summer holiday, one near the start and the last was Saturday before the bank holiday, the park was quiet then too. :eek:

Yes, but it's quiet for pretty much all of September. As far back as I can remember (which, thinking about it, makes me feel old), September has been a very quiet time for the park.

Was busy today. TS Facebook is reporting queues in the graveyard of Duel (not seen on any of my visits this year), out the entrance of RMT and the same for Thirteen.

Ridetimes was reporting long Galactica, Rita and Smiler queues all day too. Even for a sunny Saturday, that's a massive achievement for 17th September!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Also, Feb Half Term is returning next year. :)
Yeah I saw that and immediately I started to get exited about next season. But then I remembered seeing something about February half term last season somewhere? Correct me if I'm wrong of course!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.