• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Ireland

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
For discussion on developments in 2015 and the 2018 waterpark development, see separate topics.

Roland Mack has confirmed that Europa-Park will be adding a fairly large attraction for 2016. Nothing is currently known about what it will be - whether family or family/thrill; however family/thrill is anticipated as it will then be 4 years since Wodan.

This thread will channel any rumours and information with regards to this development. Watch this space!

:)

My money is either on a big looping coaster or a let down of a submarine voyage.

Whilst at EP in July, Roland did mention to us that he was thinking about a submarine ride - although no indication was made as to whether this was for EP itself or the upcoming water park.

That's very interesting. I was about to post in the 2015 subject that perhaps the new small 'surprise' attraction could use the Subs from Atlantis. Footprint wise that ride is really small if you ever get to see it behind the scenes.

Edit: it wouldn't make a lot of sense building a submarine ride at a Waterpark if you are wearing swimwear, would it?

I hope EP don't get one of these submarine rides, I don't really find them all that inspiring. Not the type of ride to make me think "wow I need to get back!"

A new themed area can't be that far away although I feel 2016 may be slightly too soon. I hope 2016 brings a coaster but with major coasters in 2009, 2012 and 2014 they may decide there is not quite the rush for one again yet.

Edit: it wouldn't make a lot of sense building a submarine ride at a Waterpark if you are wearing swimwear, would it?

It was just a thought a few of us had. A submarine ride could fit into a water park, what with there being a water theme and all. Not sure where else in park it could go - although having said that, dinosaurs, space and Mercedes-Benz aren't exactly what comes to mind when one thinks of France.

Either way, a submarine is certainly on the cards in the near future, so sayeth Roland.

I suspect if EP did their own version it would be very different. Same ride system as it's their design but completely different experience. As they lack the Sea Life connection I wouldn't be surprised if they did it without the fish, but then would the concept still be as good?

And to Robs point Atlantis might not be a major draw to enthusiasts (it is a very bare bone attraction) but to the average guest it's mind blowing. When I used to work on that ride I got so much pleasure holding people back before they first see the Subs, asking them what they expect to see then watching their reactions when they realise they are "really" going down in a submarine. Then if I got the chance i'd reveal the trick to them later ;)

Yeah it was me that Roland mentioned the submarine ride to. It was a bit of a throwaway comment. I mentioned that I was impressed by Atlantis and he said "Oh, we're thinking of building one here" or something. To be fair though, Roland is probably 'thinking of building' something different every 15 minutes. I'm sure if I'd asked the next day it might have been a 4D Wingrider. :)

In response to whether a submarine ride could work with out the fish - Nemo's Submarine Voyage at Disneyland California did a pretty good job of utilising a fish-less submarine ride.

It all depends on the story and atmosphere, which Europa would pile on in abundance. (If they even build one at all.) Could it be too similar to Abenteuer Atlantis?

Good point.

Abbatoir Atlantis could be a bit similar...

Unless it's not a submarine... the vehicles could look like anything really!

They could always replace the jungle rafts with the submarines and completely redo the dated area that is Abenteuerland, perhaps.

If the addition of a Subs ride meant the end of that awful Jungle Rafting ride, the demolition of its dark ride section and the opening up of that beautiful lake, then I would be the new ride's biggest cheerleader.

Problem with building a subs ride would mean a big tin shed (which would no doubt be themed well) replacing that big open lake. I do think that whole area of the park does need ripping out and starting again, its all a bit tired and old.

This is Europa Park we are talking about, they would probably just drain the lake, make it another 5 meters deep, and build some sort of centre piece which acts at the dark ride section with the rest been underwater in the lake.

Ian

Sorry, to clarify, I meant a new Subs ride somewhere else in the park as a replacement for Jungle Rafting, and leave that space blank to open up the view of the lake from the Historama area.

Yesterday, EP got the green-light from Rust town council to build a new employee car park on the other side of the access road. There's a helpful graphic here from EP Place.

10855079_10152952230125862_5326158377256676257_o.jpg

This presumably means that they will have more than enough new spaces to replace those that are currently on the old access road that runs alongside Poseidon. See this Google Maps screenshot:

MBPFjDU.jpg

This is the huge area of land where the 2016 developments are rumoured to go, so the construction of this new car park may be the go-ahead that the park were waiting for to demolish the old access road and expand the park.

It's a huge area, probably enough to keep the park going in terms of expansion for a decade. You could fit about four Blue Fires in that area, and then some. I imagine that the park will use about half the space for their 2016 expansion and then the rest at some later date. Exciting times in Rust! :)

NN9ndTb.jpg

This shows how big that space is compared to the rest of the park.

Wow when you look at it like that it really is a huge space for expansion. I assume an expansion here would have a pretty major knock on effect with the current Horror Nights set up? No doubt they have plans to resolve this though. Exciting times ahead!

I would imagine that they will build any new area with Horror Nights in mind - leaving perhaps small areas of space where a maze could be built. If the new area is, as rumoured, Romania, then this lends itself to a Transylvania style theme - perfect for a Halloween event.

It is very exciting. The area of land is enormous and, as Sam says, is about the same as 3 to 4 Blue Fire's. Or three Greek themed areas! Therefore, I would expect, given Europa-Park's track record of using space so well that the new area will indeed allow development for around 10 years. I mean... look at the Google earth view above and spot the TINY space where Wodan and Whale Adventures are now! Perhaps 2 rollercoasters, a dark ride and further support rides over time could fit into this new development area.

I definitely expect the next major ride to be located here. Will it be the 2016 attraction... or not? Are there surprises up their sleeve? I remember in one of the Arthur Vlog's, Patrick (the head of the project) stated that the area WAS for new developments. A lot of the excavated soil from Arthur ended up in this new space.