• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Where is this ladder that they would have to climb? The first lift is stairs, and the second can be reversed to evac. Unless they are talking about an evac in the event of a stall...?

The question is 'a reasoned decline or blindly following rules?'
Without knowing the exact point of the shortening of limb we can't decide if it was right to turn her away. I would say someone can keep 3 point of contact with a ladder (HSE guideline) with 9cm of forearm from internal elbow bend.

Where is this ladder that they would have to climb? The first lift is stairs, and the second can be reversed to evac. Unless they are talking about an evac in the event of a stall...?
It's from the little walkway at the top of lift 2 down to where the evac platform can get up to, have a look at a photo of the top of lift 2 and you should know what I'm on about.

But the whole point of lift 2's reversable design is that people shouldn't have to climb a ladder...?

And surely if it's still on the lift its possible to reverse and if it's passed the lift its passed the point of no return?

2nd lift reverses to the bottom but that is 20ft off the ground and it's a ladder from the platform to the floor.

It's always had the rule you had to be able to walk a certain distance and descend a ladder since long before the crash.

I'm so stupid lol, I never thought about getting from the platform to the ground, I've seen lift one reverse in September last year (first time I saw it move after the crash, I was praying it would go round but it didn't) so if a train got stuck on lift would it get reversed nearer the access walkway just above the inside part.

From what I've heard in the past its not towers but gerstlauer who say you have to have 2 full working hands to ride, I also think this has been the case since the ride has opened

Didn't this all start after that incident in America a few years back, when a double leg amputee was allowed to ride an Intamin with lap restraints (I forget which one) .... and promptly followed a ballistic trajectory on the first air time hill?
(I believe it was one of those times when, being America, no one dared to say no to a "war hero". Obviously in that case, it should have been obvious that for a lap restraint to work, you neeed to have a lap.)

Last edited:
It's closed for a few hours this morning and there is a train waiting inside the station (but not at the air gates) on and behind transfer I can't see inside the station to see if there is a train waiting at the gates, if there is that means they have received 1 train taking the total up to 4.

I'm here at the moment, according to the lady at the entrance it's closed for maintenance all day

Surely they had the last to days which were closed to the public to do any maintenance.

Looking at today's queue times, the park looks very quiet, maybe it's conveniently closed to save money to compensate the lack of guest. :(

Roy :)

I found out after I posted that it was closed all day, what annoys me is it was planned and nothing was posted on their FB page, if I had known it was closed all day then I wouldn't of gone.