• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Well I guess it's subjective to everyone but I'd be quite happy if it was over after the past vertical drop as I'd rather not have to endure the mess that is the rest of it, whereas I quite enjoy the smiler right to the break run.

i will be the first to spread my hate for the smiler I find the whole thing intense and too repetitive... But the only jolt I feel is the one leaving the cobra. Can't say I've felt one after the first drop.

As much as I love The Smiler I'll normally only ride it once, maybe twice, a day. It's not that rough apart from the couple of big jolts, but it's a bit of an endurance test, not saying I don't like that, but going on it several times is too much of a good thing.

i will be the first to spread my hate for the smiler I find the whole thing intense and too repetitive... But the only jolt I feel is the one leaving the cobra. Can't say I've felt one after the first drop.
How can you not feel the jolt on the first drop? The ORP screens in the shop now show 4 trains (using the big screens in the middle) hopefully that means the new train is getting close to taking guests.

It's really not a big jolt on the first drop, more of a shudder. The only true jolt is the cobra roll exit.

Wouldn't say I've ever found first inversion particularly bad. The jolt in the final cobra though is really bad and has been ever since it opened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not the first inversion where there's a slight shudder, but the first inverted drop which is immediately after the second inversion.

I've seen somewhere that the jolt on the cobra roll could be caused by the interlocking feature. The batwing and cobra roll had to be tilted and twisted to interlock and for the train to still be able to fit

Smiler is becoming noticeably rougher. As is Saw. But as a Saw fan, I think the roughness fits the ride perfectly, the aggressive and unforgiving jolts give it an exiting (if painful) edge.

Anyone who finds the Smiler too rough is either sitting in the back seat too often (it's a completely different ride at the front to how it is at the back) or just being a big girls blouse. Collosus is the only true torture coaster for me, loads of pain for zero gain.

I've seen somewhere that the jolt on the cobra roll could be caused by the interlocking feature. The batwing and cobra roll had to be tilted and twisted to interlock and for the train to still be able to fit
They must've seen that when designing and manufacturing the coaster though? I can't believe that gerst would sign off a problem like that... Especially considering it was the first infinity coaster from them! Maybe they didn't anticipate it, but even then...

I enjoy The Smiler, but you should not have to contort yourself into a position to avoid getting your head bashed on any ride. The cobra roll exit is just shoddy work.

Also, I DESPISE Gerstlauer OTSR's. The force throughout the ride pushes them further and further into my thighs and because of the daft shape of them it ends up really painful. Waiting in the brake run is not fun. I've taken to holding onto the bottom of the restraints and pushing up all the way through the ride. Which isn't great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I enjoy The Smiler, but you should not have to contort yourself into a position to avoid getting your head bashed on any ride. The cobra roll exit is just shoddy work.

Also, I DESPISE Gerstlauer OTSR's. The force throughout the ride pushes them further and further into my thighs and because of the daft shape of them it ends up really painful. Waiting in the brake run is not fun. I've taken to holding onto the bottom of the restraints and pushing up all the way through the ride. Which isn't great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Don't you have to contort your head on any Coaster though to avoid an ear bashing? I had a particularly rough ride on nemesis the other week (probably due to the fact that I listened to the advice on the back of the seats for the first time in 22 years and actually put my head back as opposed to holding it forward like I normally do.

I actually like the restraints if it were not for that reason. I like the comfort at the beginning of the ride as you can get them just right. But I too find myself holding the bottom of the restraints or clenching my fists behind them during the ride to prevent them from tightening.

I have the same problem, the otsr's cripple my legs but they're no where near touching the rest of my body

The restraints are horrible things, anyone who has legs have even a slight amount of meat on them gets crushed.
Perhaps they should have ordered a new train with lap bars to test out the comfort on the ride?