• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
something went wrong (big style) AT/Merlin was morally upstanding by putting their hand up from the start. supported the injured guests. then did a learning exercise to become even more safer in there operation, and implemented the errors learnt. worked with HSE and got them to check the new operation processes.
This show (with the Safety history of the park) how seriously Alton Towers takes safety.
And they do,I was part of a 3rd party team that worked on the AT site in November, I had full access to the control centre. It was very very evident that Safety of all on site was the first and major concern. "Disclaimer, I am not speaking on behalf of the 3rd Party"

Their actions and past H&S record will be taken into account at the Court. I believe, that AT/Merlin will do same as with the public statement. put their hands up, say they drop a massive testicle and show they learn from the incident and take the punishment handed down.

The only Big problem is the witch-hunting media we have in the UK, that will miss out the parts about AT's track record with great H&S and that the uk theme park industry is one of the safest in the world.

Last edited:
"Alton Towers Test Failed Coaster on Public Service Heroes!"

It does say The Smiler & Air are not available these days. I'm wondering if they've done that with The Smiler to avoid that kind of headline lol

Finally! Good to see it reopening on the first day of the season and not later.

Can't wait absolutely buzzing
I'm going for opening weekend and was really hoping it would open so actually can't wait

Depends, they'll have at least three. The HSE will still have one train as evidence (the train that crashed). I'm not sure what happened with the other one.

I'd heard rumours towards the end of last season that Towers were getting another train, no idea how true they were though.

:)

I've heard as well that one might have been ordered from Gerst, hopefully they might have made some design alterations so it doesn't rattle as much!

Wonder if they'll still have all that merch in the shop that people have been paying an extra £15-£20 for on Ebay :cool:

Obviously that will be a thing of the past if they still have the same items available at retail price but there was good money to be made whilst the rides future was uncertain. £2 pin badges were going for up to £15-£20 at times last year.

Really good news, I did wonder if they would delay it because of the impending court proceedings. SO glad they are starting the season with the ride open, shame Galactica will be a few days later, perhaps deliberately split up so the news doesnt talk about them both in the same breath

So glad that it's finally been announced that its open, and I'm very glad they are getting it open for opening day, especially without Galactica and various other ride closures.

Great that it will be re-opening so soon.

I wonder how much of the queue line video will be redacted? (Surely the "potential side effects" one!)

Great that it will be re-opening so soon.

I wonder how much of the queue line video will be redacted? (Surely the "potential side effects" one!)

None hopefully. And hopefully also Oblivion getting full vids back...

So happy it's back soon and I'll be there. Badly missed it last year. Even with the problems that came with it being constructed by amateurs I've always thought it was the best coaster they've built since Oblivion, if not since Nemesis and can't wait to get back on it.

Am I the only one surprised that Alton are announcing a date it will reopen? I thought that the best thing they could do would be to not announce it a month before the park opens to stop themselves being in the media again and instead subtly open it on the same day as Galactica. My only guess would be they want to get it running ASAP and to stop being asked by everyone when it would reopen again!

It will be interesting to see if there are any changes involved with the ride, as I don't think everything from before will still be in place. Phrases like "Time to get corrected" or "The Smiler will marmalise your body and mind" and other small things like the merchandise for the ride, the music and the sound effects used inside the station and outdoor queue might change, as some people might think it's inappropriate.

Hope I'm wrong though as none of this should happen. :)