• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
I always breath out and push my chest out when the ride ops push down on the restraints, and then relax once they past, that way, I can ensure that the restraints aren't too tight.

As for preventing my ears and head getting bashed against the side of the restraints, I always hold my head forward away from the head rest. Great for giving your neck a workout and keeping your nose away from that horrible smell of the restraints (which I believe is a combination of sweat and sick).

I think the worse restrains are the ones on G-Force at Drayton Manor Park, half way around the track ,they always tighten up around my ribs beyond breathable, but that's another topic....

So many tall people here :(

At least I find most OTSRs comfortable, even if I did get height checked last time I went on nemesis.

don't worry, you're not missing out- being tall comes with its problems, such as having to duck when going on public transport (the top decks of double-decker buses have surprisingly little headroom), and when walking past trees and bushes! oh and having your knees squashed up against the seat in front of you on public transport. they are not built for tall people!

Last edited:

At least I find most OTSRs comfortable, even if I did get height checked last time I went on nemesis.
I'm not. I'm 5ft10, averageish (just under) for a bloke. I'm also fat (and pretty miserable with a face only a mother could love, although I'm not sure she does?!?) and have fairly small shoulders. I find the Smiler restraints comfortable, as well as Rita and Galactica/Swarm restraints.

The b&M standard ots restraints tend to stop on my stomach bur leave too much room my shoulders. I used to find them very comfortable in my skinny youth. Some of them dig into my moobs a bit too (Colossus left me with a bruised upper chest on Tuesday).

My wife is only 4ft 8, she stopped growing at the age of 13 due to her medical condition. I find that cute.

I'm not. I'm 5ft10, averageish (just under) for a bloke.

I'm even shorter at 5ft 7 :(

The shortest person that I've ever met is Warwick Davies and he is a lovely person. The likes of people like him will never ever get to ride the big rides. However if you are too tall, you are not allowed to ride Thirteen either. I'm just feel lucky that I'm within the height range to ride all the rides :)

Th13teen's max height is definitely 1.96m. Anyone know why that is? Maybe people hitting their arms on things if they hold them up?

So I get away with it by .3 inches,
or roughly 1 cm.
And I have never, ever had my height checked on 13.
Yet they make me stand by the measure regularly on Infusion,
even though most of the ride staff know me by name...(Knobber!)

I used to work with a guy who was pushing seven feet*. Lovely chap, but his forarms looked like they had been broken, and had a second lenth of bone inserted. Poor guy would be too big for pretty much anything with an OTSR. But at least he never needed a ladder (serously)!
Naturally, his wife was tiny. How that worked mechanically, I don't want to know.

* Why, in new money that must be a good three parsecs?

Someone I went to school with who is now 7'3 - 7'4ish (by far the tallest person I have ever known) went to thorpe park, I don't know how he got on with most the rides but he I think I remember hearing he wasn't allowed on much as he is above the 2.2m height so the park wasn't sure.

I think ride ops notice more if a belly is getting in the way rather than long body/ shoulders as they always look perplexed with me as they can't understand why the restraint hasn't gone down further and it seems that for some of them their solution is to just keep pushing them down as hard as they can therefore crushing my shoulders.