• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Let's be honest though, it's not like the are in a financial position to salvage as much from the old trains as possible. Maybe the new train won't rattle quite so much?

I'm pretty sure the rattle is due to the track alignment, not the trains.

I'm pretty sure the rattle is due to the track alignment, not the trains.
Well all I know is on my last visit one ride was reasonably smooth, the other two felt like i was being shaken apart.

I wondered if it was my imagination the last time I was there, I was on three times and the first two rides were fine, but the last one was like a proper bonerattler! I guess it depends what car you get then?

Indeed, at least one of the trains is fairly smooth but again at least one feels like it has square wheels. One of the many problems with The Smiler, a pity as if a smooth ride was guaranteed I'd rate it so much more.

:)

The two big "jolts" (after lift 2 and in the cobra) are track related but the rest depends on how new the wheels are.

I'm not sure if I've ever lucked out and got the 'smooth' train, even in the earliest of days.

I have never found the smiler even remotely rough (with the only exception being the cobra roll) I would even say on my last visit I found it smoother than nemmy
*runs as fast as he can*

To those surprised by a new train, the old one had a very focussed point of impact for the undamaged portion (where they are coupled mainly) which means the impact will have caused irreversible stress damage to all the surrounding metal for a start. Plus the impact wasn't straight, meaning everything will have been pushed sideways and twisted

I have never found the smiler even remotely rough (with the only exception being the cobra roll) I would even say on my last visit I found it smoother than nemmy
*runs as fast as he can*

It's not as smooth as Nemesis for me, but I still classify it as being closer to smooth than rough.

Smiler is fairly smooth, but rough =/= bad. My top 5 has 2 violently rough coasters but they are very good. Some smooth coasters are dull.

Rough coasters can be fun I agree, but they can also be excruciating. It all depends on how rough.

The roughest coaster Towers ever had was Corky during its dying years, but even that wasn't unbearable.

Anyway, back on topic - The Smiler is open.

Went on this today for the first time since 2014 Scarefest, went on twice, train 5 first and then train 1, I was with my cousin who is disabled so has a ride access pass, and we automatically get put on the back row two left seats everytime so we can get off easy, and I have to say both rides were incredibly smooth! Like seriously two of the smoothest rides ive ever had, no jolts on any of the inversions, not even the cobra roll exit for me! I was shocked but its running amazingly, and its so good to see a shiny new train 4 on the transfer as you come back in!

Not sure if has been brought up but one thing of note I found when I went on it most recently was the smell on the restraints, specifically the black pieces are for your neck/ head depending on your height. Damn did they stink when I last went on it a couple of weeks ago!

People had been saying about Galacticas headsets smelling but I had no problem at all with theres which was good (did do it first thing though), but smilers smelt for both rides we had regardless what time of day we went on as we went on it first on the second day. My family agreed with only one of us four on one of the rides thinking they didn't stink of B.O.

was looking on the newswires for info about M&D's... no luck on that front, however, did spot this among the search results of what significant moments are coming up in the next few months:

Monday September 26
1000 STAFFORD: Sentencing hearing for Alton Towers Smiler ride prosecution. The Staffordshire theme park's operator, Merlin Attractions Operations Ltd, is facing a hefty fine after admitting a breach of health and safety rules over last year's Smiler rollercoaster crash which left five people seriously injured.
The five most seriously injured victims are expected to attend the hearing, which could last two days. Stafford Crown Court, Victoria Square, Stafford, ST16 2QQ.

Two days ?! Why ? Guilt is admitted. Just pass sentence and the fine.
The CPS are just dragging it out so they get more money. Bloody government !