• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Has anyone considered they may not actually be allowed to run all four trains. Although why they aren't using three trains is odd.

I was just thinking, we don't know what restrictions have been put on the ride's operations since the crash. They obviously have a fault right now with the third operational train, hence why they're down to two. The fourth train, once it's been properly signed off, may just act as a spare.

However, I'm sure four trains is fine. It was just a thought.

I'm just thinking, we don't know what restrictions have been put on the ride's operations since the crash. They obviously have a fault right now with the third operational train, hence why they're down to two. The fourth train, once it's been properly signed off, may just act as a spare.

They are still going to have five trains (and may do at the moment, I think it's likely and right now there are two in the maintenance shed, two in operation and one on the outdoor transfer track) however they will only ever run four at once. It then allows them to use the fifth train as a spare or put in a rolling maintenance programme for the trains.

:)

I think 5 will happen again on extremely busy days. It'll be rare but it will happen.

I doubt it will ever run five again. Towers know it's pointless. What's the point of bringing another train out when all it means is that another train will be stacking outside the station. It's a much better idea to run four and keep one in maintenance.

It categorically will not run five trains again! I can only assume that the reason for it running two is that the third is buggered in some way and the fourth has not completed its testing.

It categorically will not run five trains again! I can only assume that the reason for it running two is that the third is buggered in some way and the fourth has not completed its testing.

Other than without an offload station it's a bit pointless, why can't they run 5?

Didn't someone work this out a couple of years ago? Pretty sure the throughput didn't increase upon running 5 as opposed to 4 due to stacking. If it had an offload station then it may be more viable. But either way, it's so negligible that the rolling maintenance option is probably best.

Busy days like it has been all week and will be all next week ?
Towers don't care

I see when you don't like the reasonable argument you just ignore it and do another sweeping statement.

It frustrates me to have to reiterate the bleedin obvious but here i am....

There are 2 reasons a park doesn't run on full capacity, one is to make a saving, the other is technical.

Notice how Nemesis is running on two trains all the time, that is because on one station operation staffing is the same if you run on two trains or one, it only drops capacity for technical reasons. Same can be said for Spinball and to some extent Rita as dropping trains doesn't reduce staff. Now one thing you can say is that they are sometimes pulling trains for tech maintenance during the day when they used to at night, but this isn't common.

Air V2 (Galactica), and Oblivion there is a cost saving to not running at full capacity as you are only running one station so they do. Th13teen doesn't have a station issue but they need to send full trains so they will pull back if needed (they will also reduce capacity if the drop track is buggered but i put that under technical).

So Smiler..... What saving does the park get for running on two trains?

Anybody?

Nothing!

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to notice that they clearly have a broken train and only three trains operational. Train 4 doesn't have it's ADIPS sign-off yet so they can't use it. By reducing the number of trains they are not reducing the number of staff and once you have built a ride and turned it on the main controllable cost pressure is staffing. So the "Towers doesn't care" argument starts to crumble into nothing!

*As a side note you can make a cost saving argument for RITA and Th13teen as the fewer dispatches the longer it takes before essential maintenance of considerable cost (rope replacement and drop system stuff) will need to occur but i haven't seen much evidence of that).

Anyway if you want to grumble about Blivvy, or complain if Skyride is open i will be right behind you (after i have caught up reading the backlog caused by life and catching up on the 5 other parks i am now more interested in). Just think about the complexity before spouting the easy.

As for 5 trains, it gets them about 50 person an hour, and seems to risk amputation so probably not a goer!

Now if anyone wants me i will be geeking at parks not on the British Islands great or not!

If they wanted Alton could save a staff member on Rita by only running on 1 train (I'm going by what happens on stealth), when on one train the staff member on unload is the person checking harnesses on the air gate side of load.

I still think it's a big conspiracy that they had it 2 shuttle op during school drip days.
Maybe Towres do t hate everyone. Just school kids :)

There's no conspiracy. I know some people like to think Towers do things to deliberately be annoying, but this clearly isn't the case here. There was obviously a broken train and no spare yet available to replace it. I was at the park earlier this year when it was quiet and Smiler was on three trains, so of course they wouldn't choose to only use two during a busy day unless they had no alternative.

Last edited: