• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Although I disagree with Screamscape that any future plans could be on hold or cancelled. If anything they will be pushing ahead for projects so the park can gain back guests and a positive image.

I agree that future plans would not be cancelled. However changes would be surprising following on from the events with The Smiler. You've got to think Towers will want a coaster that they can be sure the public will think is totally safe. Going down the wood route is already a risk from Merlin's point of view and with what happened with The Smiler will they see it as a risk that is now just too big? I hope not but it is a real fear that I have.

We also know that Merlin have never been keen with lap bars on their thrill coasters so this could also play more of a role than pre-Smiler incident.

I am unsure what Towers'/Merlin's relationship with Intamin is like following on from Thirteen. I would personally be surprised if we got an Intamin.

:)

The quality is the Screamscape rumour postings does appear to have declined somewhat lately.

I'm taking this with a light pinch of salt for now, but if this is true this could all be exciting.

An Intamin woodie would be good as I've heard mostly positive things with rides such as Balder & Heide's Colossus (Balder of which I should hopefully get to experience next year) and a woodie at towers would be a ride of great wonders.

An Intamin flume would be another great ride if this happened, looking at how amazing Chipas at Phantasialand looks with its top quality theming, soundtrack and landscape or even just Valhalla.

The flume as a flume ride is ok but is looking dated and doesn't offer much of an experience when you compare it to many other flume rides across the world.

It also says about ripsaw moving to x-sector. Id like to see this, but it wont happen. The ride being relocated would kill it.

I'm with you there @James, I do think to a certain extent their credibility amongst major theme parks would be hit if they don't continue with future plans as planned.

It's not like six flags Texas or six flags as a whole held back on future developments after the new Texas giant accident.

It also says about ripsaw moving to x-sector. Id like to see this, but it wont happen. The ride being relocated would kill it.

I would imagine Ripsaw working quite nicely in Dark Forest mind. They would need to do very little to fit it in with the theme (green paint basically).

I would imagine Ripsaw working quite nicely in Dark Forest mind. They would need to do very little to fit it in with the theme (green paint basically).
I don't really think it would, but then again it's opinion. I think it could fit in x-sector.

But this isn't what I meant (although you probably knew). It spends the majority of time closed as it is, and most rides, especially older rides, don't like being moved, dynamo, energiser, blade... Really, there's only one place ripsaw is moving to, and it isn't x-sector. That is unless Alton towers have lost all sense, and do relocate it.

Doesn't it already fit in with the "theme". A bit rusty, pretty metallic, run down and not really associated with anything there? Would fit perfectly and look lovely surrounded by scaffolding. :)

ripsawDF_zps1nlzmlfd.png

Doesn't it already fit in with the "theme". A bit rusty, pretty metallic, run down and not really associated with anything there? Would fit perfectly and look lovely surrounded by scaffolding. :)
Don't forget it'd have to have the old layers of paint gradually appearing over a few years. ;)

But this isn't what I meant (although you probably knew). It spends the majority of time closed as it is, and most rides, especially older rides, don't like being moved, dynamo, energiser, blade... Really, there's only one place ripsaw is moving to, and it isn't x-sector. That is unless Alton towers have lost all sense, and do relocate it.

Yeah I agree with you there. Ripsaw, much like Blade and Enterprise, seems to have problems upon problems each year with parts constantly being needed. Most flats at Towers are knackered and are heading straight for the scrapheap really.

Well it's only the colour scheme that's off really. It needs some poorly applied green paint all over it so in 12 months we see all the original paint scheme seep through. I think that will really add depth to the theme and really compliment the scaffolding you suggest.

Oh and it could do with some fake vines that turn blue after 6 months and are removed!

But yes we're all going off topic now *ahem*

Back on topic. Sw8 is ripsaw after a retheme. Sorry.

What is wrong with intamin. Everyone says that thirteen was bad because of them, but isn't thirteen supposed to be sort of a family coaster.

Back on topic. Sw8 is ripsaw after a retheme. Sorry.

What is wrong with intamin. Everyone says that thirteen was bad because of them, but isn't thirteen supposed to be sort of a family coaster.
It's not the layout of the coasters that's Intamin's fault, because at the end of the day, Towers designed it, Intamin just made the dream (a word used very lightly) a reality. The issue is just that Thirteen has had lots of technical problems recently, and an uncountable amount in its opening year!

I agree that future plans would not be cancelled. However changes would be surprising following on from the events with The Smiler. You've got to think Towers will want a coaster that they can be sure the public will think is totally safe. Going down the wood route is already a risk from Merlin's point of view and with what happened with The Smiler will they see it as a risk that is now just too big? I hope not but it is a real fear that I have.

We also know that Merlin have never been keen with lap bars on their thrill coasters so this could also play more of a role than pre-Smiler incident.

I am unsure what Towers'/Merlin's relationship with Intamin is like following on from Thirteen. I would personally be surprised if we got an Intamin.

The Smiler is a steel coaster with inversions though. This prospect is a wooden coaster with no inversions. It's just about as far away from a technical perspective from The Smiler as is possible in coaster terms.

It's not the layout of the coasters that's Intamin's fault, because at the end of the day, Towers designed it, Intamin just made the dream (a word used very lightly) a reality. The issue is just that Thirteen has had lots of technical problems recently, and an uncountable amount in its opening year!

Well, it was Intamin's fault that they built it in such a way that it was overspeeding according to their own ride software, and so they had to retrofit trims to it, and alter braking before the drop section. They generally seem to cock up major projects whose parks have spent large amounts of money on them for whatever reason.

The accident makes a large investment such as SW8 MORE likely, not less. The suggestion that they'd abandon an investment cycle strategy which si designed to retain and attract guests is absurd.

The Smiler is a steel coaster with inversions though. This prospect is a wooden coaster with no inversions. It's just about as far away from a technical perspective from The Smiler as is possible in coaster terms.

I know, that wasn't really my point though. More people think that coasters are potentially unsafe following The Smiler incident than before. Merlin have said themselves that the general public tend to perceive woodies as unsafe (and I see what they mean as whenever I tell people that my favourite coaster is a woodie I get comments such as "oh one of those old rickety ones" or similar). So would Merlin still be prepared to take the risk on a woodie (perceived unsafe) in their park where some of the public perceive the coasters to be somewhat unsafe? I am not so sure.

Of course we know that whatever they get it is going to be safe. I would be truly gutted if what happened with The Smiler resulted in Merlin scapping any planned woodie for the time being, unless of course it resulted in a Mack Mega!

EDIT:

Screamscape have posted the following this morning:
Screamscape said:
(7/15/15) According to a trusted source, a wood coaster was in the works for 2017... but not from Intamin. The problem is, our source also confirmed that whatever Alton Tower had in the works for 2017 has likely been put on hold at this point... and may never come to be as they deal with the fallout from The Smiler accident. We'll just have to wait and see.

Take with a pinch of salf of course, however this would not surpise me. Any woodie for 2017 was never going to be from Intamin so that adds up. I am sure that we will still get a major investment in 2017, likely in the form of a coaster, but I just don't know what now!

Last edited:
It's too late to go back to the drawing board for 2017. I'm sure whatever was planned will go ahead. Possibly they will change to one of the other options they considered (possibly for 2021 or later) but it is too late to start from scratch for the next major investment now.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.