• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If there's one thing Towers are used to, it's scrapping their plans and having to throw something together at the last minute. Get ready for another rushed, "OK but could have been so much more if they spent more time on it" coaster.

It's too late to go back to the drawing board for 2017. I'm sure whatever was planned will go ahead. Possibly they will change to one of the other options they considered (possibly for 2021 or later) but it is too late to start from scratch for the next major investment now.

Those who planned The Smiler beg to differ!

:)

Last edited:
If plans for SW8 have been changed at a late stage then I would much rather them push back the major investment until 2018 to make sure that is is all planned and thought out properly than do what they ended up doing with The Smiler. We don't want another rushed job whereby the plans are not even finished by the time they submit them to the council.

I put all of The Smiler's failings down to the extremely poor and rushed planning.

I am not so sure that plans can be changed, they will either be close to or have already begun, the manufacturing process for the track. I honestly think screamscape have got this wrong, flash back a couple few years, his "trusted source" was spin_doctor for that god awful washing machine element idea, pinch of salt i think.

Reactions: Tom
I am not so sure that plans can be changed, they will either be close to or have already begun, the manufacturing process for the track. I honestly think screamscape have got this wrong, flash back a couple few years, his "trusted source" was spin_doctor for that god awful washing machine element idea, pinch of salt i think.
Have the plans for SW8 been fully approved yet? If not they won't have started the manufacturing of the track yet. :)

Well Alton Towers have not even submitted a planning application yet! They would still be in a planning phase regardless of whether plans have changed or not, it just depends at what stage they are at. Coaster manufacturers will be busy making track for 2016 coasters, not 2017 coasters.

Plans for SW7 were changed extremely late in the day!

I am sure something has been submitted, i recall seeing something explaining that it would be wood. However the manufacturing process can take well over a year, depending on coaster size. Then there is transportation which depending on where it is coming from, is anywhere up to 4 months, Assume construction will begin late next year, All they need official planning permission for is the station as it is a permanent structure, so yes manufacturing can begin without planning granted. They have to submit a noise impact survey and ensure it doesn't break the tree line. I really don't trust screamscape's so called trusted source, but these rides are planned years in advance and SW8 is almost certainly locked in. If they do cancel it, look for an off the shelf rush job as others have suggested. I want to see an RMC at Towers, they just need to have the balls to do it.

There was a preliminary planning application - nothing with detail. Merely stated it would be a ride built out of wood and in Forbidden Valley with a station/show building.

There hasn't been anything for the actual ride itself yet.

These rides are planned years in advance yes, but with Towers track record they're often left til the last minute... Smiler clearly wasn't the original plan for SW7 and the rush to get it done has shown in many ways. Th13teen was so pushed for time that the queue line Tarmac was still setting on the morning of opening day. Sub Terra was rushed so V1 was god awful. Etc etc

Wasn't Air originally suppose to be SW4, but they didn't quite have the technology to build it yet and Oblivion was built instead? In that case, how long was Blivvy planned in advance?

As for SW8, I'd rather have it delayed then rushed.

Yes. Oblivion was just 'what they put in so guests didn't get bored whilst waiting for air to be built. I think oblivion is better anyway.

Oblivion and Air were both very very long term plans. They were just ready the 'wrong' way around. Both were world first designs and both would have involved a hell of a lot of development and research from B&M before they could be built.

Oblivion and Air were both very very long term plans. They were just ready the 'wrong' way around. Both were world first designs and both would have involved a hell of a lot of development and research from B&M before they could be built.

Cheers Scott. That makes more sense. I presumed building a big hole in the ground would have taken a lot of planning, so that makes sense :p

Not denying that. I'm just saying that oblivion was made to fill the gap between nemesis and air. If it was the 'right' way round, oblivion might have not been a world first. It doesn't really matter. :)

Makes you wonder if there will be a world first element in this woodie design considering limitations, or perhaps this will just be something different for the park to attract a wider clientele.

I am sure something has been submitted, i recall seeing something explaining that it would be wood. However the manufacturing process can take well over a year, depending on coaster size. Then there is transportation which depending on where it is coming from, is anywhere up to 4 months, Assume construction will begin late next year, All they need official planning permission for is the station as it is a permanent structure, so yes manufacturing can begin without planning granted. They have to submit a noise impact survey and ensure it doesn't break the tree line. I really don't trust screamscape's so called trusted source, but these rides are planned years in advance and SW8 is almost certainly locked in. If they do cancel it, look for an off the shelf rush job as others have suggested. I want to see an RMC at Towers, they just need to have the balls to do it.

They submitted an EIA (Environmental Impact Assessment) scoping report. This was to determine whether or not the final planning application would require an EIA. Of course, this was an indication that rough plans at least were set in some form of stone.

However this is not something they have to carry through. Let's say that it is what they are planning though still, they will still be in the process of creating the full planning application ready to be submitted sometime between September and December.

As has been said previously, SW7 was changed/decided upon very late in the day for reasons we are not totally sure of. But it is why none of the theming plans were complete when Alton Towers submitted their planning application in December 2012.

In an ideal world, changing plans for SW8 sometime in the last month or so would be too late. In reality, it is not too late as Towers have past experience of it. It would just be a great pity if late changes were made again.
Makes you wonder if there will be a world first element in this woodie design considering limitations, or perhaps this will just be something different for the park to attract a wider clientele.

There doesn't have to be a worlds first element with SW8. Merlin just require a "killer image" and "compelling proposition". Of course a worlds first does help with this.

The day Merlin at Towers get's a ride opening on time or keeping to the exact plan without changing details at the last moment will be the day the Heavens shake from their foundations!:laughing:

I'm fairly sure they couldn't afford to go 5 years without a major investment at a park like Alton Towers, from a numbers perspective. The long-term development plan clearly states how little to no investment impacts upon visitor numbers, and I'm not sure given the presumably poor year they'll have this year why they would delay or scrap plans for a major ride and worsen that loss.

Bet they wish they'd stuck to the 3 year cycle now. A major new ride in 2016 would have come in handy.

But lets face it, the LTDP is/was a load of old rubbish. Yes the finer details of plans can change but they've not really managed to stick to much of what was planned in he 5 years up to now, and I cannot see them squeezing in all of the other developments within the next 5 years either.

Towers is (and has been for quite a while) totally screwed due to bad management and complete incompetence by it's parent company.

But lets face it, the LTDP is/was a load of old rubbish. Yes the finer details of plans can change but they've not really managed to stick to much of what was planned in he 5 years up to now, and I cannot see them squeezing in all of the other developments within the next 5 years either.

Not true at all! The LTDP has been used heavily by SMDC to create the new planning guidance for developments at Alton Towers. The many technical studies that formed part of the plan are also very important when it comes to future developments; Alton Towers will have to demonstrate that developments are in line with these.

Of course details of what exactly is planned and when have changed and will change, but it provides a good guide of what to expect along with investment levels. There was however a lot more to the LTDP than just those little bits we all find interesting.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.