• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Whats wrong with that? 2 different coaster layouts will provide a large enough difference between Nemesis and the other invert if they do make a "hybrid invert". if they make a cross valley coaster, I think it would be awesome if was a duelling coaster! Imagine racing across the valley...

They scrapped the plans for 13 having a launch, why would this be different?

(EDIT: I would love to see something duel nemesis. But I don't think two inverts right next to each other would work, especially as nemesis is built into the pit, there is very few places it could duel without changing it)

13 launches you backwards... kinda.
I meant a duelling coaster across the valley, not duelling Nemesis. Although both would be awesome.

The support structure required for a hybrid inverted coaster would probably be hideous. It'd either end up completely made from steel with wood just bolted to the top for the running rails to go on, which sort of defeats the point, or supported for its entire length like a wooden coaster with effectively a tunnel of wooden uprights around the train. I suppose the latter would give plenty of potential for near misses with the support structure, but you'd miss out on the sensations that most inverted coasters deliver of either scraping the ground or being high above it with your legs dangling in the air. Let's also not forget that good inverts are precision-built pieces of kit; with what companies like RMC can produce now maybe I'm being unfair, but I'd have thought involving wood could compromise this and result in ride comfort more akin to an SLC than a B&M. Really you'd end up with none of the advantages of an invert and lots of brand new disadvantages.

So, Merlin appear to have announced that as part of their CAPEX cycles it will be Heide Park and Chessington recieving the high levels of investment in 2017, with Heide's brought forward a year from 2018. Looks like we can wave goodbye to any hope of SW7 in 2017 which is a real shame considering it seems like they had much of it finalised before The Smiler incident.

I'd imagine it has been pushed back for a mixture of reasons, hopefully it will result in a well planned attraction come 2018 and not a rushed job like The Smiler.

:)

I don't think Merlin can afford not to invest in AT as well for 2017.

Is there anything to suggest otherwise other than that they will be investing in Heide and Chessie too? With this smiler incident, I would imagine all plans will have gone out the window and this will be treated as an entirely separate matter.

Surely they wouldn't think otherwise; they need to invest heavily, and fast.

Last edited:
I don't think Merlin can afford not to invest in AT as well for 2017.

Is there anything to suggest otherwise other than they will be investing in Heide and Chessie too? With this smiler incident, I would imagine all plans will have gone out the window and this will be treated as an entirely separate matter.

Surely they wouldn't think otherwise; they need to invest heavily, and fast.
Couldn't agree more. 2017 is exactly when they are going to need a big investment. It is long enough to plan and build a ride and long enough after the accident and it will bring guests in which they are going to desperately need imo

interesting news.......I see no logic though. I really do feel the place will die on its a*se soon

A wooden coaster could be a medium investment, if they go for class over technology, rides like outlaw run cost 6.5 million in pounds, which is nearer to a small investment (3m and under around) than a large investment (last two have been over 15 million pounds) if they delay this, it probably won't work out in the short term, and could definitely affect the long term. If SW9/the large 2020 development is pushed back as well, then the problem comes with not having a world class ride to put them up there for when paramount opens, which could have a heavy impact. Unless SW8 does come in 2017, even bigger problems than what the park has now could arise.

Towers now need a investment of some sort (which they can market) t bring numbers back up. It shouldn't need to have a worlds first element just a new ride of some sort. With 2020/21 being the next year for a worlds first coaster. So a woodie would be the logical one for 2017 as I can't think of that many worlds first they could achieve with wood.

It doesn't matter what sort of ride they bring (please a woodie) they can still sell it and people will come
Submission and hex did well. With good marketing, anything will bring in the GP (though 13 managed to get very high visitor numbers...)

I reckon the next coaster will be an off the shelf job with lots of thrills just to move attention away from what's happened

A woody might only cost 6.5 million, but don't forget the fifty quid they'll spend on theming,. Then Merlin Studios' usual markup... and marketing (which they always include in a rides "official" budget), and before you know it, you have another 20 million pound ride.

Woodies may well be cheap, but don't forget that most major coaster at Towers come with high groundwork costs. I doubt The Smiler cost a fortune track and train.

:)

While it is disappointing that its is likely delayed i can see why they could have delayed it. Merlin are going to want their next major investment to have the biggest impact it can and by delaying an extra year gives them more time to stabilise the park, better understand the long term impact the accident is going to have on guest numbers and also will be 3 years since the Smiler incident which would be further out of peoples minds than if it opened in 2017.

You could argue that they need a major investment asap to get people to visit but the park can focus on other cheaper attractions/entertainment in the next two seasons to help get the park back on track before opening there next next £20m investment.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.