• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
One advantage we would have is that kumback couldn't get the ride working properly and Efteling hired intamin to finish the ride.
Rules out kumback. I would like to see the theming levels of dvh and the dark ride sections but on a woodie. I would like to see a dark ride section before the lift hill/launch and a water splash at the end as a nod to the flume and mutiny bay.

On the one hand I would have thought that if they were aiming for 2017, they would have started dismantling The Flume by now, but on the other hand, SW posters have never gone up 2 years before.

The Black Hole tent had started to come down around this length of time before the opening of the smiler which didn't seem a huge job, but then the ground excavation work was enormous as they removed tens of thousands of tons of earth to create the basin in which The Smiler sits.

I suppose it is possible, that far less earth needs to be removed on The Flume site, if they are keeping the ground broadly level with its current position, though I suspect SW8 may have tunnel sections which could be a smaller job than excavating the entire Smiler area.

AT are really sensing out mixed messages at the moment.

Secret Weapon 8 is for now at least living up to its code name.

My best guess is huge excavation and ground level changes would mean 2018. Building largely on the current level could mean 2017.

After what happened last year AT could go for THE premium coaster manufacturer with an impeccable safety record which would mean a B and M, but unless they have a new concept, I don't think they have anything original or different enough for towers. I love B and M though and the build quality is entirely unrivalled.

An RMC or GG woody on a smaller scale than the cross valley is a possibility, but as Merlin think the public perceive them as dangerous, I think this could reduce the chances in the current climate.

A Mack water ride is also a possibility.

Anyway this is as much guesswork as anything, but I've got the odds as follows.

B and M Wingrider - unlikely - not suitable for towers. Too wide.

B and M sit down - unlikely - height restrictions would limit the scope and AT will want something truly world class for a SW. They will not want to play second fiddle to existing designs elsewhere.

B and M new concept. Possible if they have a new concept we don't know about.

Possible B and M junior inverted coaster.

Gerstlauer - Virtually no chance.

Intanim - Unlikely for a thrill coaster due to height restrictions Possible for a long family coaster along the lines of Firechaser Express (I know this is manufactured by Gerstlauer). Several launches required for a decent length. I don't think a Megalight is SW calibre.

Mack - if it's a Mack, I think some kind or semi indoor water ride along the lines of Valhallla are more likely than a coaster.

So my predictions...

An SW suitable for both thrillseakers and families to appeal to the largest possible demographic.

Possible RMC or GG woody, utilising multiple launches. Family demographic

Possible concept B and M, but nothing too scary. Less likely than a woody or water ride.

Possible Mack water ride similar in concept to Valhalla with a lower and smaller building but a long outside section.

My best guess us something similar in length and intensity to Firechaser Express, but not from G and possibly with a splashdown.

No doubt I will be wrong in every respect, despite having more guesses than there are lives in the entire cast of Top Cat.

Last edited:
Tunnels can be just as big a job as a hole, often more so. Once the trench is cut and covered, they have to put most of the earth back again! Unless they actually dig / blast a real tunnel through rock, but I can't think of many coasters that have ever done that. Dragon Mountain and G5 are the only two that spring to mind... And I really can't see any park splashing out for a TBM! :p

Tunnels can be just as big a job as a hole, often more so. Once the trench is cut and covered, they have to put most of the earth back again! Unless they actually dig / blast a real tunnel through rock, but I can't think of many coasters that have ever done that. Dragon Mountain and G5 are the only two that spring to mind... And I really can't see any park splashing out for a TBM! :p
Well, ya never know - they might end up putting the old Crossrail TBMs to some good use! :p

Blonde moment... TBM?

Re interpark coasters...
don't forget British Rail helped in the track laying of T'Ultimate.
Would be good to catch the Alton Express to the park from the M6.
I'd pay an extra tenner to avoid the last leg of the journey to the park.

I've got an idea. Instead of building the rail link from Alton to Stoke using heavy trains. Build a coaster connecting the two! You can even market it as the world's first mainline connecting coaster :p

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.