• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
In the past they have missed by a mile. I hope that this is new ride has a coherent story and theme,that like into MB. with well made theming.

Orbit could be themes as Rita's cousin.... A disused race track that the Pirates stumble across

If they do go for another theme (which I hope the don't), they create an entire new area. Not just a different themed ride next to MB, I always thought the flume was slightly jarring and threw off the immersion from battle gallions along to the tavern.

If they do go down a different theme, they couldn't do any worse than six flags magic mountain and theme a woodie after terminator???

I don't think coherency is in their vocab. Air and forbidden valley.... Galactica and forbidden valley.

Probably just me... But as long as a ride is themed I don't really care if it fit within that area.

If it did, that would be better, but if it doesn't, I wouldn't cry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you look at all the themes that Merlin have done with Alton Towers then the pirate theme is the one they've done the best, so I hope they stick with it for SW8.

When you look at all the themes that Merlin have done with Alton Towers then the pirate theme is the one they've done the best, so I hope they stick with it for SW8.

Battle Galleons is good but personally I find Mutiny Bay as a whole looks cheap and hackneyed.

A lot of brown paint and spray painted skull and crossbones.

It says a lot when this seems to be the best they can do.

A pirate theme will be the best idea to go with. It gives Mutiny Bay a headline attraction and should finally make the area feel more coherent.

I actually wouldn't mind if it was a bog standard theme with the same style as the rest of the area (expanding on the good theming of Battle Galleons), as long as it's well themed.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

A pirate theme will be the best idea to go with. It gives Mutiny Bay a headline attraction and should finally make the area feel more coherent.

I actually wouldn't mind if it was a bog standard theme with the same style as the rest of the area (expanding on the good theming of Battle Galleons), as long as it's well themed.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Just a good solid theme and ride

How was Ug Land more suited to Alton as a theme? The Dark Forrest compliments the eeriness of The Towers. Although well themed, a prehistoric Bedrock rip off hardly suited the landscape of Alton in my view.

I think a lot of people forget that Alton do actually have limited space to work with and whilst they can define certain areas, rides like Rita have to be 'plonked' in as it's the only place they may have been able to fit it. Alton have to think very carefully as to where rides can be situated and i'm sure theming is taken into consideration but not a top priority. Air/Galactica have no real connection to FV but it was the only place it could have fit at the time.

I would much rather rides be installed that may not fit the theme than have no real investment at all.

I'm a touch disappointed that we're not seeing a cutting edge water ride to be honest. That's Alton down to only one real classic water attraction, I know there's Battle Galleons as well but I'm not really counting that as there's not much to it.

A woodie will be cool, hopefully some serious intent is put into the design for it and they don't just live off the fact that it's a woodie to market it.

I just can't help thinking a water ride would have been better, if they wanted a coaster element then something like Journey to Atlantis would have been perfect.

Of course there's always the possibility that one is in the pipeline but I wonder a) where exactly it would be located, and b) how long we'll be waiting as this is presumably a significant investment.

The ideal scenario is there's a water ride in the pipeline for Forbidden Valley themed around Nemesis with an indoor element, that would be amazing. However I doubt it!

Do alton really need a water ride though? I could count the number of days I would want to get drenched outside in this country on one hand. Yes the flume was popular but I think that was more down to a lack of family rides. I think what Alton really need is a family and family thrill coaster which this looks to be one of

I too see no reason to replace the flume but that's only because I barely rode it. It would be interesting to see how popular the ride was.

If they didn't already have Rapids and Battle Galleons I'd say they needed a replacement for it. I just have a huge disliking for being drenched for a good proportion of the day. I rode Battle Galleons on the day it opened and have never rode it since. I've not ridden Alton's Flume since we were forced into a 5 man fat boat with no queue years and years ago and I came off soaked to the bone just before we left the park. It's really not my idea of fun.

I like water rides, don't get me wrong, just not drenching ones. I'm the guy who wears a poncho for Valhalla in Summer because I adore the ride itself. :cool:

The only way they could get away with a flume these days is to build an elaborate theming masterpiece like Chiapas. And we all know that's not going to happen. Flumes are old tat and their day has been and gone. That's not to say a water ride of some kind shouldn't happen, but they'd need something modern, not a relic of the 1960's.

This is true, we have lost most of them now... Blackpool's, Thorpe's, Camelot's, Alton's... actually, do we have a flume left that's not a travelling one?

Ah yes, I like Chessies as it's not a drenching one and it was nicely themed. Legoland's is a newer version like their Rapids I remember (only been once) I remember a themed indoor part before the drop.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.