• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Yes, no clue where that figure came from! I love the Magic Factory though, great down to earth insight and I think a lot of people miss the undercurrent of irony running throughout and in the title "Magic Factory". It shows the park at a great time, but a changing time, and puts everyday people in the spotlight rather than dressing up with the frills like other theme park TV specials do.

'Magic' mixed with the suits, chips and bins, it's a fab video and I could do with watching it again.

They'd never ever let a documentary as honest and prying as that out there now!

I'm doing it on the train, so excuse any errors, but I think it's about right - there are more rides now than there was then, no?

Removed/closed ahead of the season start - Rowing Boats, Park Railway, Splash Cats, Thunder Looper
New rides for 1997 - Nickelodeon: Outta Control, Ripsaw

Total Ride Count - 35 (in age order)

Removed/closed ahead of the season start
- Twirling Toadstool, Ice Age 4d
New rides for 2017 - Go Jetters Vroomster Zoom Ride, The Furchester Hotel Live

Total Ride Count - 37 (in age order)

I make that more rides for the little ones but less rides for us grown ups :p

You make it up as you go along... let's talk rides first and move on to attractions. I've updated a piece of work I did many years ago - so excuse some of the lazy renames. But here's an overview of the line up in 1997 and 20 years later in the present day.

Yeah I make it up as I go along, much like the crap you spout except without the same level of ignorance and rudeness.

So you listed some rides. That it? Where is the rest of your list?

There is absolutely no question over the fact the parks total number of attractions is vastly inferior now compared to what it was 20 years ago, so what is your point?

Yeah I make it up as I go along, much like the crap you spout except without the same level of ignorance and rudeness.

So you listed some rides. That it? Where is the rest of your list?

There is absolutely no question over the fact the parks total number of attractions is vastly inferior now compared to what it was 20 years ago, so what is your point?
I listed all the rides that were operating at the park in 1997 and all the rides that are operating now.

I still don't understand your point. Give me reason and logic rather than a Donald Trump "This is the way it is because I said so and if you don't agree you're wrong" argument.

Sticking my nose in here, I dont think anyone is necessarily being ignorant and rude, just misunderstanding each other perhaps?

Again I wouldn't take everything said in that documentary at face value or put it on a pedestal of greatness and truth, when nothing is black and white, and in terms of number of attractions I dont think we have diminished. Alton Towers surely has 'enough' attractions and as good range on offer today as it did then, but it's the quality and experience that made the difference then.

The attractions exist largely as brands now rather than having much substance, ideas and surprise behind them. Brands get people more hooked at the front end but what happens in the attractions themselves doesn't seem to matter as much now, as long as it at least fulfills the 'brand image'. Plus large parts of the park are being closed because of the sheer downscaling to an economy of scale that suits Merlin's operational model.

I listed all the rides that were operating at the park in 1997 and all the rides that are operating now.

I still don't understand your point. Give me reason and logic rather than a Donald Trump "This is the way it is because I said so and if you don't agree you're wrong" argument.

The point, which you continually miss as usual, is we are talking rides AND ATTRACTIONS - live shows, entertainment, roaming actors, shopping, dining, other experiences included in park admission etc. Rides are not the only draw to the park. At least, they didn't used to be.

Sticking my nose in here, I dont think anyone is necessarily being ignorant and rude, just misunderstanding each other perhaps?

No he's actually shown attitude and rudeness (to me particularly) in several topics now, so I felt the need to put him in his place.

Can I add that stuffed animals in Victorian costumes used to be an attraction, thank God they've gone as they gave me nightmares.
The quality of some of the past "attractions" wasn't great, performing sealions and paddling pool come to mind.
Overall, I think the park has a higher quality and quantity of rides now, though I do admit to missing the "Golden Years", but only because my wife was 20 years younger, and used to actually go on the rides, instead of sipping vodka and coke out of an all day drinking cup.

There has always been overinflated claims in the themepark industry, nature of the beast.

There are fewer flat rides at Towers now and I wouldn't say a stagnating attraction number is a good thing for a theme park when large parts of the industry have increased their ride line-up. But Towers are not alone in overinflating their marketing push.

Quick Question:
Have Merlin taken on any extra safety precautions after last weeks horrific incident in Manchester? I know AT try and do a bag check on everyone upon entering but there has been numerous times when I haven't and have seen others not checked. Got me thinking that it only takes one person and in effect one bag and has got me concerned about the safety of guests.

I was there yesterday and there was a Good number of armed police both at the entrance and occasionally walking around

They were a lot more thorough with the bag searches too,they'd set up a cordon so you couldn't avoid a desk where they checked the bags

I felt very reassured and the armed police we''re very friendly with the children too,smiling to both my kids and asking them if they'd had a good day

I believe there was sniffer dogs too but I didn't see them

Metal detectors won't find what they are looking for, but it wouldn't be a bad idea, might stop the chavs taking their knives in, Thorpe have them, but they spend the majority of time gathering dust.

. Got me thinking that it only takes one person and in effect one bag and has got me concerned about the safety of guests.

Hate to say it but that's exactly what the terrorists want, they want you to be scared of your own shadow, you've more chance of winning the lottery than dying in a terrorist attack, don't worry about it and just enjoy your day out.

Alton was doing bag searches this time last year, it's not something they've just suddenly decided to do.

Yes noticed the armed police and bag checks yesterday, I also moaned to towers about no litter bins in sight from car park to mutiny bay and ended up carrying stuff for ages before getting then, then realised after it was likely to do with heightened security

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.