• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It's very easy to overlook the issues because Hex is back. Which is obviously great news. But closing Toadstool? And Ice Age? Eh!?

Also, this demonstrates that there never was any refurbishment going on with the likes of Charlie and Wobble World.

Ultimately, we are sitting at the same number of rides as we were last year. 5 will remain closed.

A refurb on Toadstool? Please...

It's very easy to overlook the issues because Hex is back. Which is obviously great news. But closing Toadstool? And Ice Age? Eh!?

Also, this demonstrates that there never was any refurbishment going on with the likes of Charlie and Wobble World.

Ultimately, we are sitting at the same number of rides as we were last year. 5 will remain closed.

A refurb on Toadstool? Please...

Ice Age is interesting because it only requires 1 member of staff if my memory serves me correctly? Perhaps there is an issue with the ride which would cost a lot of money?

Ice Age closed? Yet another entertainments cut. Alton Towers are determined that you will see no form of show at the park unless you are a young child who likes CBeebies.

Pleased Hex is back, obviously, but I am not surprised. I think it was always evident that Hex would return this year. Toadstool is showing as "temporarily closed" - will this mean for the whole season or just until they've completed some work on it? I remember that Alton Towers said last year that Toadstool would be getting some TLC during the closed weekdays early on in the season, that never happened.

Alton Towers: where the rides just don't matter.

:)

I suppose there is a chance that Toadstool and Sub-Terra could re-open again in the future. I would imagine that Charlie, Ice Age and Wobble World are gone forever.

why ice age ?!
it had some TLC last year
EIjPJ1m.jpg

Hex reopening is great and very pleasing but does not cover up the ongoing unprofessional decisions from Merlin.

Closing Toadstall and Ice Age feel excessive, even if neither are must do. Plus the disappearance of Charlie and Wobble is clear evidence that neither will likely return and their closures covered by the smokescreen of the reopened rides.

I'm optimistic that Toadstool will return in 2017 as it is marked as refurbishment. Sub Terra looks odd that it is unavailable but still on the website. Maybe they do want to bring it back eventually.

Charlie it seems expected that it is dead as the license is run out. Ice Age missing seems very very strange, do you think it is just a website error, or maybe the IP ran out?

Could towers have had ice age on a 5 year ip contract, meaning that they are forced to close it this year? It's the only issue I can think of considering that it can't be too expensive to run and is one of the few remaining indoor attractions.

Overall it's pretty much as expected. Twirling Toadstool is no major loss for me personally, but having Hex back is a huge bonus.

Still, as I was saying to @AstroDan last night, it's completely and utterly bizarre that we await the announcement of a ride lineup now. It's a theme park (and a seasonal one at that!) not a music festival! Hoping for better crowds this year, and a hopeful move toward everything opening for 2018.

Could towers have had ice age on a 5 year ip contract, meaning that they are forced to close it this year? It's the only issue I can think of considering that it can't be too expensive to run and is one of the few remaining indoor attractions.

My guess is due to CBeebies Land expansion they want to use the Ents staff that were in Ice Age to run stuff over there. I can't see licencing be such a huge issue for Ice Age, I presume it's just a case of cutting costs. There were substantially fewer shows last year, instead of the freeflow attraction they had when it first opened.

I'm optimistic that Toadstool will return in 2017 as it is marked as refurbishment. Sub Terra looks odd that it is unavailable but still on the website. Maybe they do want to bring it back eventually.

That is very optimistic of you, and in theory you should be right. However the closed rides last year were all marked as "temporarily closed for refurbishment" and none of them re-opened during the year so I am not too hopeful.

It seems to me that they would like to bring Sub-Terra back at some point but they do not know when this may be possible.

My guess is due to CBeebies Land expansion they want to use the Ents staff that were in Ice Age to run stuff over there

But Ice Age doesn't really need Ents staff, just someone to show you in and someone to push the go button.

I'm quite happy with this, none of the closures bother me if I'm honest. Hopefully ccl will be getting a total retheme, but I do doubt it.

I have made a new thread about 2019, when I believe CCL will be rethemed.

RE: the closures, I don't think it's a question of people personally 'being bothered'. For me, I look at the park holistically and closing these rides remains very, very poor for the wider demographic of visitors to Alton Towers.

I hope to see a rather large overhaul of the mediocre ATR Food and Beverage offering in 2018 and 2019.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.