• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

Alastair

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Rise of the Resistance
2017 is set to be perhaps one of the quietest seasons in terms of the park itself, with no expected ride additions outside of CBeebies Land - although we can look forward to a full year of SW8 speculation as it undergoes construction on the former Flume site. On the resort side, this year heralds the opening of the new CBeebies Land Hotel.

Please use this thread for general discussion surrounding the 2017 Alton Towers Season.

I wonder if they will do any events to try and draw people?

I've always wanted Alton to host more special events in the Theme Park. Out of all the theme parks I know, be it Disney, Six Flags, Universal, SeaWorld, BPB, Flamingo Land, Busch Gardens etc, Alton and Merlin parks in general have the most lacking special event lineup I know. Scarefest and Fireworks. That's it! So yeah, I always hope for more events but none ever come.

I would love them to give Chocolate Towers a try again for Easter holidays (more like the 2006 event, rather than the 2007 mess). A bit unlikely however.

Perhaps Alton Towers Live to return? Would draw people in easily with the right acts and it has been successful previously.

With cuts the past few years can't say I'm expecting anything at all event wise aside from the usual.

2017 is surely due to be the least exiting season yet. I know it sounds a bit macabre, but at least amongst all the grim cuts and relenting bad news during the last closed season it was kind of intriguing. TLC seemed to at least provide an interesting distraction, The Smiler was reopening, RCR was being constructed and we had Galactica on its way.

If 2016 was about the start of a sobering new post incident era for the park, 2017 will be the extremely uninteresting chapter 2. It'll be 2016 Light, continuing on from last season with no noteworthy additions (safe for a small new hotel) or changes to the park. A year where the park beds down for another year and counts down the days to the 2018 season.

Of course they could surprise us by unexpectedly reopening more of the closed rides, some interesting new TLC we didn't see coming or launching some sort of promotion or event. I think it would be strange business practice not to do at least one of these things to catch the interest of would be punters.

Live would be fairly easy in the grand scheme of things, whack it on a Friday or Saturday night and set it up like last time. What Towers need is some out of holiday season events to drag up attendances when they would be lessened, even if it is just simple things marketed well.

We all know the 2017 season is going to be all about the new CBeebies ride and hotel. They don't need to do anything else.

Also still waiting for confirmation of 2017 event dates regarding Scarefest and Fireworks. It makes it very hard to take up the 30% off offer on booking a stay at the Hotel not knowing what day these events fall on as well as details. I suppose we will be told a week before the park open :rolleyes:

The website won't allow you to book a stay over the 4th of November without booking 2 days + 1 Day free park tickets, but just before you pay for it, a window pops up saying that the theme park will be closed for one or more days of your stay and that you will be given access to the water park instead. If you try and book a stay for the 5th of November, a window pops up saying that the theme park is closed for that day. Very strange, gives the impression that this years fireworks will only be running on the Saturday, and that only the hotel guest with paying for 2 day park tickets will gain entry for the Saturday only and will be given waterpark tickets to compensate for the Sunday :eek:

I emailed customer services about this and I basically got the same old reply that they have been posting to potential guest on FB and Twitter

Good Morning Roy

Thank you for your recent enquiry to us here at the Alton Towers Resort. Our 2017 season is still in the final stages of planning and as such these details have not been confirmed. Once our event details have been confirmed these will be added to our website for you.

If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to e mail myself directly.

Kind Regards

Claire Waters
Alton Towers Resort

Edit = I've just been doing a bit of digging around again on their website, the resort booking is now also allowing for 1 day + 1 day free, but still won't allow me to just B&B on the 4th of November.

There is confirmation for the return of Scarefest in October, but still no details and dates https://www.altontowers.com/activities/events/

https://www.altontowersholidays.com/events.html

Also Sea and Splash weekends available
Escape to the Alton Towers Resort this winter season and enjoy a superb Sea and Splash weekend! Book your Alton Towers Resort Short Break today from just £120 per family!

Sea and Splash weekends are available for a limited time only. Available on 27th — 28th January and 3rd — 4th February 2017.

Step into an underwater world with pirate and princess themed entertainment, marine inspired arts and crafts and meet and greets with your favourite CBeebies friends, including Captain Barnacles straight from the Octopod!

Visit the wreckage of the galleon at Sharkbait Reef *, packed to the brim with sea creatures of all shapes and sizes and the UK's first Tropical Interactive Pool!

Then make a splash in the Alton Towers Waterpark, where little ones can paddle and slide in the Little Leak area and the thrill seekers can take on the Master Blaster at breath-taking speed.

Book today from just £30pp!

https://www.altontowersholidays.com/events/sea-and-splash-weekends.html

Last edited:
I'm waiting for event dates to be released too so I can get looking at booking a hotel stay. It's frustrating when many other short stay/holiday resorts release their entire year events, show etc.. around now to coincide with January sales. Surly Towers are missing a trick here by not boosting sales the time of the year where a fair few people make the most of these sales (saying that, I've looked at some dates and Towers hotel prices in this 'sale' are insane, £800 for a 2 night stay in April? No thanks!).

I've never understood why Towers leave these things so late. Many people like to pre-book these days, and Towers are bound to have budgets sorted for 2017 by now, just release the dates goddammit!

frustrating when many other short stay/holiday resorts release their entire year events, show etc..

Very frustrating, last year's events dates were released by the end of December 2015 and I had all my stay's booked. The website is even showing that splash landings can't be booked for the 4th November.

I've never understood why Towers leave these things so late. Many people like to pre-book these days, and Towers are bound to have budgets sorted for 2017 by now, just release the dates goddammit!

If last year is anything to go by, I've got a bad feeling about this, probably holding back to grab as many bookings from unsuspected customer before further deep cuts are to be announced :rolleyes:

They must have some idea with dates and events, otherwise whats the point of promoting a 30% off sale and taking early hotel bookings. Surly the park dates and events should be arrange and announced before any ticket and hotel sales begin?

Last edited:
Here we go again! After a post I read on the hotel discussion topic I've done a bit of research on website.

1) You cant book B and B for 4th November for fireworks, are they not going to accept MAP entry for fireworks?

2) The themepark is not open on 3rd or 5th November, So is there only going to be one night of fireworks after last years chaos over two nights?? I thought they would think of increasing the number of events for fireworks not reduce them??? Not to have anything for the actual 5th November seems crazy?

3) While the kids are off school for Easter 31st March to 18th April they are closed on Wednesdays?

Does this company want customers to spend money there or go elsewhere????

4) Finally.....Tried to book a room for 4th November with 30% off on website with theme park tickets and one day free (when the park isn't open the day before or after??) and was quoted between £680 - 780 for hotel room or lodge and £1080 for treehouse lodge WHAT????? Is there a group of millionaires heading to Staffordshire that weekend??? If there is I think they will look for somewhere better to stay than Alton towers resort.

Whats going on in that boardroom?

Days the park is open haven't been confirmed yet as far as I know. Also Easter schools hols for Staffordshire and Derbyshire which Alton base there opening hours on are Monday 10th April -Sunday 23rd April. Once hours confirmed the park will be open every day during those two weeks.

Dropping fireworks to 1 night would be ridiculous. Last year proved that the demand is there. Surely it will be 3 nights.

As for the priceS you quoted... not a chance... maybe there genuinely millionaires who visit AT?

I've looked at the same things on website. Its just crazy!!

Merlin seem to be in a bit of a state at the moment. First this craziness for 2017 at AT ( when they should be reopening Nemesis ST, HEX and a rethemed CATCF and adding entertainment!!) Then Blackpool Tower was understaffed at Christmas for the panto and to go up Tower. I've also noticed they are closing some attractions at LEGOLAND discovery centre Feb to March (over half term!!) Who plans all this stuff???

Sorry I stand corrected if you click on save 30% off area it changes quote for one night with one day free entry (which is a lie because its closed) to £428, £438 or £1078 and Splash landings closed. Last few rooms as well so I must be wrong lots of loaded people are booking away . I hope they know they are only getting one day at theme park (or trading standards will be busy!!!) Just take down the wording and one free day off option and its sorted AT

I've looked at the same things on website. Its just crazy!!

Merlin seem to be in a bit of a state at the moment. First this craziness for 2017 at AT ( when they should be reopening Nemesis ST, HEX and a rethemed CATCF and adding entertainment!!) Then Blackpool Tower was understaffed at Christmas for the panto and to go up Tower. I've also noticed they are closing some attractions at LEGOLAND discovery centre Feb to March (over half term!!) Who plans all this stuff???

What's closing at Legoland Manchester in Feb? I'm taking my little girl there for her 3rd in Feb

Not sure just noticed a disclaimer on merlin pass sale site at bottom of page regarding some attractions being closed in Feb due to refurb (and polishing lego bricks!)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.