• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
THE WHOLE POINT OF A DROP TOWER IS TO FOCUS ON THE BLOODY HEIGHT OF THE THING!

The quicker this fad buggers off the better it will be for everyone involved...

I think it will work well. You are right that it is about the height of drop towers, but this one now is effectively 1000 feet tall. Because of the speed of the fall in the video, and the feeling of the fall in real life it will feel a lot faster than it actually is. And falling towards the massive spiders will just add to the thrill and the fear. Personally I enjoyed both VR experiences I have had on rides (Galactica and DBGT) and think this one could be even better.

Corrected that for you! ;)

You get down off your high horse right now! ;)

The quicker this fad buggers off the better it will be for everyone involved...

I agree! After queuing almost 3 hours for Galactica when it opened, I have never been more underwhelmed by a ride in my life. Air was a much, much more enjoyable experience as it was. Nevermind the fact that ride turn over is so slow and it's a lottery as to whether or not you even get a working headset.

VR isn't a 'fad' in and of itself. But coasters are not a good implementation of VR technology. It's much more suited for dark rides (in a theme park environment) but better suited to things like gaming. I think VR headsets do little more than ruin a decent coaster. But I am not against the technology...it's just not 'there' yet.

I was excited about Derren Brown's Ghost Train as a much better application of VR technology in a ride. Although I've not ridden it yet (Thorpe Park is not worth the journey from where I live - with Alton Towers 30 minutes away. DBGT wasn't running when I went in May last year), I've not heard amazing feedback about it.

could have converted Sub Terra with VR

To be honest, it's surprising Sub Terra wasn't a VR experience all along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a look at 2017s generic marketing image:

16992302_10154802983506201_7179085431622559543_o.jpg

A very busy one this year featuring all of the major coasters. I can't help but feel a re-brand is due before the end of the decade though.

:)

I feel like I don't know what ATR's current marketing position is.

Nice to see all of the coasters on the main promotional image (sad to see The Smiler hidden in the back :(), although that image is a MESS. Towers marketing has become confused the past few seasons, reusing and mixing up past marketing materials used since the 2008 re-brand. It's no longer consistent.

I think come 2018/19 the park could do with a rebrand and a fresh take on the resort image. 10 years for the current brand (in 2018) it pretty good.

Agree with the coasters all featured being a positive, even the likes of Spinball and the Mine Train. I like that there's loads going on, but I can see that it lacks coherence.

And I doubted the Smiler would ever be used in a promotional image again tbh.

Well with all the Vekoma track, at least there is one actual Vekoma ride in the picture.

I actually quite like the 2017 logo as it doesn't show just one of the areas of the park, it represents the park as a whole. But I can't feel but Towers having a rebrand soon like many companies have done recently.

It is missing the flume! WHY OH WHY DID IT HAVE TO GO :(

The logo does need updating. I think they will change it to more of a flat image rather than the 3dish effect currently

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.