• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017 Heritage Stuff (The Real TLC)

Restoration coming on nicely I noticed today
DHYbNP8XsAEHAKS
DHYbNP7W0AI98Uo

With this and the fountain the gardens will look so much better. Can't wait to see behind the white tent. Hoping they restore the fountain to full working glory
Next on the list hopefully the orangery. Will take quite a bit to get that back to how it was tho

The orangery is the similar looking but smaller glass house to the left, up some steps. Sadly its missing a whole dome and almost all the glass, bricked up windows instead!

The orangery is the similar looking but smaller glass house to the left, up some steps. Sadly its missing a whole dome and almost all the glass, bricked up windows instead!

Ahh right. Poop!

I'd probably know the building if I saw it but can't recall from memory, but I think I know which one you mean.

Isn't the scaffolding on the pagoda to assess the extent of the work that is required, rather than to complete it?

Beautiful! So many things to discover in those gardens. So many mysteries.

I can barely tolerate walking through the gardens these days though. M£rlin's cuts have seen off so many gardeners, I'd say for the past 4-5 years they've just been an overgrown unsightly mess.

Beautiful! So many things to discover in those gardens. So many mysteries.

I can barely tolerate walking through the gardens these days though. M£rlin's cuts have seen off so many gardeners, I'd say for the past 4-5 years they've just been an overgrown unsightly mess.

If they have become a mess (I've got no idea as I haven't been in ages) then isn't that grounds to get the National Trust involved on the case? They're part of the heritage and I don't think they'd be too happy if they were in a state.

The Gardens looked as usual when I visited in the summer, but most the fountains seem broken, maybe because the water is off while the pagoda fountain is out of action (because all the fountains are gravity fed from the same source I fink). Havnt seen many of them for a long time though.

The gardens are awesome. These restorations are brilliant :)

Last edited:
If they have become a mess (I've got no idea as I haven't been in ages) then isn't that grounds to get the National Trust involved on the case? They're part of the heritage and I don't think they'd be too happy if they were in a state.

I believe that it's actually English Heritage that deal with Alton Towers :)

The Gardens looked as usual when I visited in the summer, but most the fountains seem broken, maybe because the water is off while the pagoda fountain is out of action (because all the fountains are gravity fed from the same source I fink). Havnt seen many of them for a long time though.

The gardens are awesome. These restorations are brilliant :)

Yes, you are correct, its just one feed which supplies Alton with all the water for the lakes and fountains and is all gravity fed. The fountain however was initially turned off separately (valve at base of tower) due to the water spraying out containing an algae that was killing off the trees and bushes around it - mind you, that was years and years ago.

As for the gardens - could quite easily just spend an entire day walking around them and still not see everything they have to offer.

The Pagoda Fountain isn't gravity fed, surely?

It is indeed. The source of the water supplying all of Towers lakes and waterfalls is Ramshorn, about 2 miles away. The water makes it way to Towers via gravity to fill the various lakes and waterfalls as there is no water source in Alton Towers. The Pagoda fountain marks the very end of the gravity feed system and the height of the water that sprayed out the top is testamount to the pressure of the water by the end of its travels!

@GaryH I thought that was the case for everything apart from the Pagoda & Corkscrew fountains, you learn something everyday =)