• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017 Heritage Stuff (The Real TLC)

I dont know how many gardeners there are, Ive only ever seen two at any one time.
If two are all they have then they dont stand a chance !
:(

I dont know how many gardeners there are, Ive only ever seen two at any one time.
If two are all they have then they dont stand a chance !
:(

Sounds pretty accurate. Maybe another one or two at the most. Like you say, they don't stand a chance despite their best efforts and intentions. If Towers had any intention of keeping the gardens in anything close to proper order they would employ more staff or re-employ the ones they let go a few years ago, for a start. It's obviously not a high priority or something that they see fit to spend their vast profits supporting.

Edit - By the way, the loss of staff all seemed to happen following the credit crunch and all that crap caused by the bankers. Towers weren't alone in this. It seems that most companies have scaled things back and it hasn't really recovered at all, in my experience.

Another edit - Another thing that we seem to forget (including myself) is that the Gardeners Cottage could be potentially used as a tea room type of thing with drinks served on the front, like this many years ago:
gard%20cott1928%20WATERMARKED_zpsr6m22rcw.jpg

Last edited:
Edit - By the way, the loss of staff all seemed to happen following the credit crunch and all that crap caused by the bankers. Towers weren't alone in this. It seems that most companies have scaled things back and it hasn't really recovered at all, in my experience.

I doubt the credit crunch had any impact on staffing. Surely a company's staffing budget comes from their annual turnover and profits? Scaling back on credit would stop Merlin from buying up other attractions and setting up new midway ones.

Like you say though, Towers make vast profits. Vast!! Sure, The Smiler incident, lack of investment, poor additions, and neglect has brought the park to it's knees, but they've cut down on expenditure accordingly to keep the profit percentage as high as possible.

I doubt the credit crunch had any impact on staffing. Surely a company's staffing budget comes from their annual turnover and profits? Scaling back on credit would stop Merlin from buying up other attractions and setting up new midway ones.

Like you say though, Towers make vast profits. Vast!! Sure, The Smiler incident, lack of investment, poor additions, and neglect has brought the park to it's knees, but they've cut down on expenditure accordingly to keep the profit percentage as high as possible.

Yeah, maybe it was not a 'direct' result of the credit crunch but it happened around that time when I'm sure various companies were looking at how they could make savings. Losing staff is usually one of the top options. All I'm saying is they were gone not long after that period and a lot of other companies were doing the same.

Found out the other day from one of the staff members that the Pagoda Fountain is due to be completed in September. It will be lovely to see it when all the scaffolding is taken off it!

They were also saying that the Swiss Cottage is apparently next in line for restoration, however it is a hard job as some of the decoration on the outside is made by one of the potteries. This will have to be taken off, cleaned carefully and placed back on.

It is nice to see that the park is spending some money on restoring the gardens, it would be great if they did daily tours of the gardens to try and make the GP more aware of the heritage side of Alton Towers. Such as shame that the park has let them get in the state that they are. :(

I don't think it's a case the gardens are not appreciated, I think it's more the fact that people don't have time to wander around them on a typical day. Who would pay 54 quid to get in and spend half the day enjoying the gardens. If they open them out of season and charge a small fee it would be a great idea.

And look forward to the Swiss cottage being restored!

If they open them out of season and charge a small fee it would be a great idea.

Pretty sure the old dears have enough problems of their own freezing to death in their own homes to bother taking a trip to Alton to do it out in the elements in the Winter ;)

I know an older couple in their 70s or so who get the free sun tickets every year just to have a walk round the gardens. Towers could potentially do something like open the gardens a couple of weeks before the season starts each year for a special price.

About as likely as them introducing any ents than isn't in CBeebiesland though!

I don't think it's a case the gardens are not appreciated, I think it's more the fact that people don't have time to wander around them on a typical day. Who would pay 54 quid to get in and spend half the day enjoying the gardens.

Kinda agree and don't agree.

Most people are just there to whizz around the rollercoasters and then go home, and that's exactly why Alton Towers is no longer a proper theme park. It's a glorified fun fair.

There SHOULD be so much to do that you can't possibly fit it all in with a 1 day trip, and I mean a variety of things for everyone and all ages. It once was. But when I see my friends nowadays (non enthusiasts) saying they've been and done everything before park close, got on Nemesis 16 times and did The Smiler 5 times etc, you know there's something wrong. People have got time to kill at Towers, that's why they're doing the rides over and over again.

No entertainment, no shows, no dark rides, no experiences, no sight seeing, no shopping, no nice dining.... just 8 rollercoasters and a load of crappy game stalls.

I would bet my ass most of the GP don't even know they're allowed to wander around the gardens, or even how to access them other than the lake side. Same goes for the ruins. Oh wait, they're closed most of the year anyway. :confused:

Last edited:
If money is a problem for staffing wages why not employee the local retired community who love gardening and offering a service?

They could be offered a family pass or some form of incentive as a thank you
Sounds like a nice idea, but not sure it's particularly practical.

Plus, this is a multi-national company we're talking about here. It's not a flower bed on the green in the village.

No entertainment, no shows, no dark rides, no experiences, no sight seeing, no shopping, no nice dining.... just 8 rollercoasters and a load of crappy game stalls.
I know we don't agree on very much Pete, but if we're going to discuss stuff you have to be something approaching fair. I put it to you that your overview here is a gross exaggeration of the truth.

A LONG LOOOOONG time ago there used to be times in January when ATH would have rooms for £20 a night - yes actually!

Because the hotel was empty they got you in, you'd spend time eating and drinking and then there was a walk via the Hotel into the park and around the garden.
I did a handful, as did many of us oldies, and while we sometimes 'got lost' from the designated path- you'd be amazed at the amount of seniors walking around. They would quite often stop and ask if there was somewhere to get a drink - which was then ridiculous to say, no, you need to go back to the hotels.

It used to be a great experience though, the hotels almost empty, a small group of us getting steadily drunk and the staff happy to see us, and non typical guests around. I believe they even did proper garden and history tours at the time. Sigh.

I know we don't agree on very much Pete, but if we're going to discuss stuff you have to be something approaching fair. I put it to you that your overview here is a gross exaggeration of the truth.

Ok ok, I'll take "no nice dining" off my list since Merlin generally offer the best theme park catering in the country. However, their restaurants are all bland and unthemed. Probably only Pizza Pasta Buffet in KC comes close to being remotely themed.

A LONG LOOOOONG time ago there used to be times in January when ATH would have rooms for £20 a night - yes actually!

Because the hotel was empty they got you in, you'd spend time eating and drinking and then there was a walk via the Hotel into the park and around the garden.
I did a handful, as did many of us oldies, and while we sometimes 'got lost' from the designated path- you'd be amazed at the amount of seniors walking around. They would quite often stop and ask if there was somewhere to get a drink - which was then ridiculous to say, no, you need to go back to the hotels.

It used to be a great experience though, the hotels almost empty, a small group of us getting steadily drunk and the staff happy to see us, and non typical guests around. I believe they even did proper garden and history tours at the time. Sigh.

Ah I remember those days. I used to do some Spa breaks there in winter too, although that isn't going as far back as the £20 a night stays, but they were still super cheap.

Even after Splash opened, with 2 hotels I don't recall it being particular dead in winter but it was certainly quiet. A lot of conferences during those times too. There was definitely different (better?) clientele around which made it feel a bit more peaceful.

I'd pretty much forgotten all this, but man, thinking about it now it's another thing on the list for how Merlin have destroyed such a wonderful place. :(

Although id enjoy seeing them open in the winter the gardens look their best in the spring and summer months so opening up in just the winter you would find most of the flowers dead. Id think just before the season starts would be a good idea or offpeak midweek in the evenings if the park is to be closed at 430.

Or even the couple of days they close in the week now during the season. What was it this year, Tuesday and Wednesday? Slightly less cold than before the season starts.

Or even the couple of days they close in the week now during the season. What was it this year, Tuesday and Wednesday? Slightly less cold than before the season starts.
Yes. I think it would be needed to be timed with the best time its in season. Does anyone know what it was famous for?

I hear heritage and garden tours are still done, just not allowed to be advertised. Surprisingly, the ruins were open on Bank Holiday Monday!!

There was a gardens/heritage tour going on last time I was there. About 25 octogenarians wearing hi-vis jackets. Splendid.