• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017 Heritage Stuff (The Real TLC)

The gardens are a pet topic of mine.
Merlin have never done them justice, they are nothing like they used to be as far as mainteinance is concerned, and the bottom half have been fenced out, so you cant get down to King Ina's rocks anymore.
It's good to see stuff being done though, but the stepping stones at the top of the gardens were lethal last year due to weeds and brambles...one of my favourite semi hidden bits in the park.

Not from inside the park?
I found them last year on the public footpath at the bottom of the valley, left and down from the main gate.
The high fence follows round to the back of the hotels, coming out by the new hotel.
I know you could probably get under the fence there pretty easily, as the ground is very soft, but there is no permitted access gate from within the park anymore, and the boundary fence is now much higher than I remember in my youth.
King Ina's rocks are an easy ten minute walk round the back of the hotels, but Merlin don't seem to publicise the fact any.

Only the very top part of the gardens seem to be maintained, just the grassed areas you can see from the main pathways in the theme park. Last summer I went for a walk through the gardens and it was the worst I've ever seen them.

A lot of pathways and features are now either covered in weeds or completely lost through overgrowth. A real shame because the gardens were in pretty decent shape only 10-12 years ago, although I think there were definitely better maintained during the 90's, like everything else.

This is a problem throughout the entire park. A lot of areas are now completely masked in weeds, trees, and shrubs. Katanga Canyon is probably the worst offender, and following that the top half of Forbidden Valley. You can't even see the Nemesis archway now. Last time I saw Duel almost the whole of the house front was covered in vines.

In terms of the Duel house, I'm good with the vegetation. It adds to it, if anything.

Duel is the only ride that looks good with the overgrowth of ivy as it fits with the theming

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I'm just not a fan of anything which masks or distracts from theming, being such a rare thing in the UK. The zombie tomb is a particular eyesore which blocks the view of the house.

The house facade has some amazing detail on it and its a shame to have it all covered in vines. Doesn't seem to add to it at all, just makes it look like a poorly maintained and neglected theme park ride. Which it is.

I'm just not a fan of anything which masks or distracts from theming, being such a rare thing in the UK. The zombie tomb is a particular eyesore which blocks the view of the house.

The house facade has some amazing detail on it and its a shame to have it all covered in vines. Doesn't seem to add to it at all, just makes it look like a poorly maintained and neglected theme park ride. Which it is.

Apart from the neglect all the bad things about exterior of Duel are the things that were added in 2003....the cheap zombie animatronic, the tacked on shop extension spoiling the original gothic one, horrid green and blue signs....

The maintenance of the gardens has definitely fallen however they are still reasonably well kept but there is a kind of charm about exploring overgrown gothic gardens. What is terrible though is the landscaping of the theme park areas, most of them are overgrown and unkept particularly Forbidden Valley, Katanga and X-Sector.

I am very glad to see that the conservatories are getting restoration work finally but it is at least ten years overdue to be quite frank. In an ideal world they would be turned into a nice cafe with a terrace seating area but not a chance of that under Merlin.

Last edited:
In an ideal world they would be turned into a nice cafe with a terrace seating area but not a chance of that under Merlin.

It's bizarre that Merlin don't make use of the gardens. It's a natural wonderland just sitting there, they could do all sorts. They found a way to turn the towers ruins in to money (scarefest) so why not make more attractions in the gardens?

I think the Swiss cottage is the biggest missed opportunity, but as you say the conservatories would make a nice cafe as well.

It's bizarre that Merlin don't make use of the gardens. It's a natural wonderland just sitting there, they could do all sorts. They found a way to turn the towers ruins in to money (scarefest) so why not make more attractions in the gardens?

I think the Swiss cottage is the biggest missed opportunity, but as you say the conservatories would make a nice cafe as well.
Biggest thing I can see for them to make loads of cash would be wedding venue :eek:
Not I believe in all that tripe about getting tied down for ever and ever till death :p

Biggest thing I can see for them to make loads of cash would be wedding venue :eek:
Not I believe in all that tripe about getting tied down for ever and ever till death :p

Ha! I don't believe in marriage either. What a load of old bollox :D

And who says the gardens are overgrown :p
DHrO0K1XoAAwgsK

I know there's water there somewhere

It's a piss take that the general maintenance seems to have gone down the pan other than petty fences.. (Restoration of the conservatories as a bargaining chip does not count as 'general maintenance').

And who says the gardens are overgrown :p
DHrO0K1XoAAwgsK

I know there's water there somewhere

Wow, that is embarrassing. It is sad that Merlin/Towers do not care for the gardens and have slashed the number of gardeners that are employed, I wish SMDC/Historic England would do something about it, these are Grade I listed!

The only reason that Towers bother with restorations such as the conservatories is because they are obliged to with S106 agreements when given planning permission for various projects.

:)

Well as much as that photo makes me wanna say "told you so", it only shows a fraction of the mess.

Really is a saddening state of affairs. :(

Wow. Puts it in perspective. Even that isn't the gardens in peak conidition!

I hope there's a fine someone can enforce for this. Seems thats the only way Merlin spend money these days, either to avoid fines or conditions for planning & developments.

I think the theme is basically that they tidy up a certain section (or sections) each year and then they're left to overgrow or whatever for the following few years. I've got no doubt that the gardeners at Towers do a great job, there just aren't enough of them any more. Obviously, as has been mentioned before, certain structures have been refurbished in recent years which is great and is usually part of agreements when planning new rides/attractions. Having visited many historic houses and gardens in the UK, I still say that it's a crime how under-appreciated the gardens are at the Towers. I think I said "Hidden in Plain Sight" or something a while ago. Still working on the book ;)