• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
You wouldn't go to Europa-Park and expect Blue Fire to be running 4-trains with onload and offload if there was literally a 5-10 minute wait, would you?
Wouldn't it stack if it ran 4 trains on a quiet day? In which case, then there's no real reason for The Smiler to run more than 3 trains on a quiet day.

Yes correct - but as soon as the train being dispatched moved forward, it clears the station block & the lift block is pending occupation, so the train waiting in the transfer area can be fed into the station. As an aside if you dispatch a train on Nemesis then don't feed the other one into the station, the lift will shutdown when the train nears the top of the lift. This is because when the train in transfer stops, the wheels of row 8 are still occupying the safety brake area. Both the service & safety brakes are a single block so the train train cannot be released from the lift as the next block is not clear. (The free-roll track is not a block as you cannot control the train movement in it).
Therefore before it was changed once the shuttle on oblivion passed the sensers near the top of the lif the next train could start going up.

That it how Oblivion works when both load stations are in use. As to having two shuttles engaged on the lift at the same time - I've never seen this happen & it should be impossible, as the lift is a single track block.

Yes you’re correct. 2 trains couldn’t be on the lift at once could they…
Oblivion can/used to dual occupy the lift. I'm not arguing with you, I'm telling you that I'm right.

Presumably part of the original plan to build what would have been the highest throughput B&M built to date. It's all largely irrelevant now, as the 2nd train will usually be in the brakes before the next pair is dispatched.

I'd imagine it's been entirely re-programmed to wait until the lift is clear, I can't imagine there's a switch on a panel somewhere to allow the 2nd train onto the lift earlier (though I'm sure there are people on this forum who have operated Oblivion who might know).

Presumably part of the original plan to build what would have been the highest throughput B&M built to date.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Hulk at IOA have a higher throughput than Oblivion, as I could have sworn that I saw Hulk's capacity listed as 1920pph somewhere. Or do you mean that this was their original plan in 1998?

Yes, to be fair - it is usually fully staffed on peak days. However, there are occasions when it - and Oblivion - are not. And the queues... my god the queues.
They made an announcement while we were waiting saying Galactica was on "4 staff operation". :confused:

I wasn't being entirely serious, but 1920/hour is a 32 seat train every 60 seconds. Whether or not that's achievable with guests is another matter, though Universal's strict no-bag policy means that Hulk today should be able to get through far more people than Oblivion typically manages

You can only get one shuttle on the Oblivion lift, but you can also get one in the holding area at the base of the lift and one on the top conveyor

I wasn't being entirely serious, but 1920/hour is a 32 seat train every 60 seconds. Whether or not that's achievable with guests is another matter, though Universal's strict no-bag policy means that Hulk today should be able to get through far more people than Oblivion typically manages
Ah right. Thanks @John! Universal's loose article policy eliminates faff in the station, presumably. Like baggage holds do.

Remember it well, two on lift hill without a doubt!
Second one kicked in when first was about two thirds if the way up.
If there was was a big station delay, it often meant a four or five car
stack for the station.
Good fun in the wet.

I've watched a few POVs and can see the sensors near the top of the lift, so it does looks like the second shuttle could engage before the first reaches the top. However I can't imagine the logic was changed. Could it be it only does that on 6 shuttle operation which is why it's rare these days?

I guess it's not actually that relevant to the throughputs though unlike single shuttle loading. I agree with Dan that it's just not viable on busy days, especially as the ride hosts take a relaxed attitude these days

I've watched a few POVs and can see the sensors near the top of the lift, so it does looks like the second shuttle could engage before the first reaches the top. However I can't imagine the logic was changed. Could it be it only does that on 6 shuttle operation which is why it's rare these days?
After watching some POVs of it not doing it, you now concede we weren't just saying it to make friends on the internet? o_O I find that way of thinking completely strange. Everything on the internet is true :rolleyes:

I think the PLC has been changed so it doesn't do it irrespective of the number of shuttles. I'm not sure why, perhaps for the evac process I mentioned but also for the small capacity increase, there is significantly more load on the chain and gearbox which perhaps doesn't pay off in the long run, especially in 2018 vs when it was their flagship ride.

Last edited:
After watching some POVs of it not doing it, you now concede we weren't just saying it to make friends on the internet? o_O I find that way of thinking completely strange. Everything on the internet is true :rolleyes:
It's not a friendship competition. I have never seen it myself but if there's people who have then I'll accept I could be mistaken

Oblivion can/used to dual occupy the lift. I'm not arguing with you, I'm telling you that I'm right.

It has never been possible to have two trains on the lift. In that BBC documentary from back in the day John Wardley says something along the lines of "Only one car can ever be on the lift hill at any one time" while pointing at the lift hill. In addition to this, I know a few people who've worked on Oblivion and one of the very first things the operating guide says is that more than one car on the lift hill is a mathematical and technical impossibility

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.