• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Park Operations & Ride Availability

I've never heard as much nonsense and as an electrical maintenance engineer it makes me laugh even more. The rides stop and start all day exactly the same way as they would if you started them all first thing in the morning. That's like Oblivion control having to ring Rita control and say "ok you can launch now, the shuttle is at the top now and the lift hill motor is not running, go go go."

There might be exceptions for start up current on large pumps for the rapids etc but they're talking rubbish.

Misleading marketing under the numerous consumer rules?
If they said 'All rides open from 7am' with no intention of opening them from that time, that's a problem - but they're not obliged to tell people the reason why they operate the park in whatever way they choose.

Edit: That said, it would be better for them to say nothing than present a load of Mother Hubbard.

Last edited:
Id love the local energy distribution company to see that. I would then think they would have a few quiet words with them as its almost like saying the regional supplier is not doing its job.
I'd say the energy company should have some very public words with them. Like the amazing response Poundland made when Thameslink "apologised" for their trains being "Poundland chocolate".
thameslink3325.jpg

WU3E6WF2R5H4VMYVIPFDAO3WGE.jpg

This is interesting. So for the first time in 25 or so years of visiting the park I sent a complaint into AT about the sub standard accommodation and the staggered ride openings. With regards the ride opening times, they said:

"In regards to the staggered ride opening times, as our park is expanding, we are having to stagger opening times due to the amount of power used if we were to open the rides all at once - it often causes an electricity black out in the surrounding area. Therefore we try to prioritise rides in close by areas together for our early ride time so that it is the most efficient way for our guests to enjoy the park. "

So, they cant open them at once due to the power consumption and risk of a black out? I know the park suffered these on and off in the past - do we think this may be true????

That is some brilliant tosh that Towers have come up with - certainly a "better than nothing" response - someone has actually thought about the reply.

Alton Towers has two main feeds off the electricity network and a number of substations dotted round the park. In days gone by, the Rapids, Flume & Skyride all had to be started at separate times to avoid overloading the supply. However once these rides were running (i.e. the startup surge had gone) you could run the entire park on one electricity feed. (NB: This is going back to before Splash Landings was built - and waterparks are pretty thirsty when it comes to electricity!) Clearly the flume has departed & the rapids makes less of a demand on the power supply as the waterfalls are off for good. Whilst there probably is a bit of truth in "we cant start all the rides at once" to suggest that doing so will black-out the surrounding area is err, tosh.

I remember years ago it was quite common to see the rapids starting to get the water level up long before the opening time of 10am. Ditto for Nemesis - it was quite common for it to be signed over to the ride team by 8:30am. It's clear that Towers have made far too many cutbacks in the Technical Services team so they simply don't have the staff available to get all the rides open on time - hence the staggered opening & increased length of time to get broken down rides up and running again.

All these excuses make me happy i dont give merlin a penny. Ive had friends along here on the south coast mention going to towers and when i say about the staggered opening they go.. "Lets save up and pop over to disney for a day or 2".