• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It’s an opinion piece, not intended to report on any press release by Alton Towers or Merlin, nor is it intended to be an industry piece. He can write what he likes and how he likes, and the elements that are intended to be satirical or tongue-in-cheek are clearly too subtle for the majority of people here/replying in the comments. Evidently most people here wouldn’t be reading a guardian article on a daily basis had it not been tagged with Alton Towers, Wicker Man, rollercoasters etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying it's a classic piece of writing, but Stuart Heritage writes for The Guardian, and almost always in that affectionately mocking style, several times a week. It's not some sort of hatchet job. This ride is going to be a hit.

Incidentally, in Stuart Heritage's very funny book, 'Don't Be A Dick, Pete', he recounts organising a day trip to Thorpe Park for his stag do, so he's a relatively enthusiastic minor enthusiast. ;)

The Guardian isn't known for publishing satirical articles, it's as simple as that really, I think whoever said Charlie Brooker wannabe earlier got it about right.

Other famous satirical writers you may have heard of, are regular columnists in The Guardian/The Observer:
David Mitchell
Stuart Lee
Victoria Coren-Mitchell
Martina Hyde

Oh, and another article today that you may have overlooked, about the connection between Gwyneth Paltrow and putting coffee up your rectum

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ema-colonic-irrigation?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Lol you all need to lighten up about that article and not take things like that so seriously and read it in the spirit it’s intended.

People are so quick to get defensive about the theme park industry they forget to look outside it’s safety bubble(works)

EDIT:
Also, people need to stop naively saying there is no connection to the Wicker Man film. Of course it’s not a an IP, but do any of you realistically think that when this theme was sketched out that nobody during the design process considered a link to the film, and that there is a possibility people would collate the two?

Like it or not, Wicker Man is a brand, of an isolated and sinister self-sufficient community luring a person(s) in to be a sacrifice. The less said about the kinky and incestuous orgies the better. AT knowingly developed this theme against that backdrop. It’s potentially clever, is very unique, but anybody who isn’t a defensive enthusiast will be thinking of that film when they ride the coaster.
It’s not at all about sacrifices. It clearly states that venturing into the wicker man structure is just a rite of passage for the chosen, hence why the trains are referred to as work trains and not coffins.

Afraid I have to agree with the article. The Wicker Man is one of the greatest films ever made in our country, and certainly not a family friendly theme.

As for the "no no, it's OK. We won't be using real fire!" backpedaling... Well what did they expect was going to happen? Given how the GP think woodies are a deathtrap already.... and that they also think the whole park is a deathtrap thanks to the media... it was inevitable that some idiots would get confused.

I thought they were going to have real fire shooting out the shoulders?

I think the worlds first claim is only their because of Merlins obsession with a “killer image” and the fact that Alton Towers have become synonymous with worlds first rides.

If it didnt have one people would be saying “boring”, instead they’re saying its dangerous etc. So I guess either way, there’s always going to be moaners!
I think that's true, but I still don't understand why it matters. For the life of me, I can't understand how them using a dull/tenuous tag line lessens the enjoyment of the ride.

Scenario 1 - Wicker Man + world's first claim = Wicker Man
Scenario 2 - Wicker Man + no world's first claim = Wicker Man with less hype and headlines.

The same ride experience, irrespective. What am I missing?

as you rush through the theming structure it will basically be smoke and orange and red lights to simulate the explosion.

Scenario 1 - Wicker Man + world's first claim = Wicker Man
Scenario 2 - Wicker Man + no world's first claim = Wicker Man with less hype and headlines.

The same ride experience, irrespective. What am I missing?

Hype and headlines is what gets people to visit the park. headlines are free advertising.

Yes, to add to @Rick 's point, you've all spent months (accurately) predicting that the park will be using some nonsense marketing fluff, and then they do, and you're equally incredulous. Even though you saw it coming all along. I know it's off-season and we're all very excited for this coaster, but yeesh.

Amazing how for six months, and especially this past week, this topic has been full of "everyone is so easily offended these days, can't say anything, bet there'll be loads of complaints because the ride isn't called the wicker gender neutral person" type shouts, and now we've had about 100 angry replies about a harmless, jokey Guardian article in one afternoon...

There could be fire "illusion" effects in the sound tunnels and the indoor section of track under the pre-show building, not just the main Wicker Man element.

Or am I being too optimistic? ;)

Other famous satirical writers you may have heard of, are regular columnists in The Guardian/The Observer:
David Mitchell
Stuart Lee
Victoria Coren-Mitchell
Martina Hyde

Oh, and another article today that you may have overlooked, about the connection between Gwyneth Paltrow and putting coffee up your rectum

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ema-colonic-irrigation?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I must admit Gwyneth Paltrow and my rectum is not something I'd ever expect to be seen in the same sentence together, my has the standards at the Guardian slipped lol

Does the fire claim really add hype though? If anything it has caused confusion and safety worries.

While it's good to have a USP to sell it to the public, when the world's first titles become more and more questionable as each new development comes, surely that damages the brand to an extent and people (including the public) don't really fall for it.

I can guarantee if you ask most people who will visit Alton Towers for Wicker Man they will say they are visiting because it's a huge new coaster, not because it's the world's first wooden coaster infusing fire and wood.

I think this coaster would have got the same coverage being just billed as the first wooden coaster in the UK in 21 years. The fact that it's 'Alton Towers' will automatically guarantee nation wide coverage anyway, this is hardly a small park that hardly anyone has heard of. Alton Towers is a household brand in the UK.

Has it been 21 years since megaphobia was finished.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I'm a fair bit behind you and Diogo in the negative stakes, but I like to think that I hold my own, sometimes. However, I think they've done OK with this venture as far as gaining publicity goes. I'm not happy about the length of the ride, but it looks damn good in the plot they made for it. There's only one way to find out how it will ride. It's not the mega coaster that many of us wanted at this point, but it looks like being a good family thrill ride.

Glad you've joined us here on the dark side! :D

Don't get me wrong, I do absolutely love the theme of this ride, more so than The Smiler. While The Smiler's theme looked great on paper, and all the backstory with The Sanctuary etc was fantastic, the end result was ultimate a very poorly themed ride. Wicker Man on the other hand looks very promising. Even that stone wall and the way the station is painted, which we already saw before end of season, looked better than anything on The Smiler. Don't get me started on the queue fencing! Again, Wick Man has already trumped it!

I love Wardley's work... but it seems that when people bemoan Galactica they forget that Air was not a masterpiece and furthermore forget than Alton had some dubious marketing for that ride too. It featured as much, or less creativity than most rides in a Six Flags park.

Wardley wasn't in charge of theming by that point, but for what he intended the ride to be - a gentle coaster which offers everybody the feeling of flying, he achieved it. It was amazing for its time (still is despite the tacky Galactica make over). Sure, there are better flying coasters. Air is a masterpiece regardless of its unfinished theme.

I think the marketing of the ride was brilliant too.

im worried that these "fire" effect are outside... a light breeze could completely ruin any effect.

Outdoor effects will be under high pressure. The wind won't even get a look in.

Indoor effects are most likely going to be foggers backlit with orange lights and silk sheets. The guy in the video said some of the fire would be an illusion.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.