• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Merlin's strategy is to employ more IPs, there's no reason why they couldn't/wouldn't use one for SW8.

World's first ride fully dedicated to Pirates of the Caribbean?
Hang on a minute...

If as it appears SW8 has a far lower budget than other SW projects, then I wonder if it is possible that the next few SW could be closer together. For example 3, £6million projects over 4 years, rather than 1 £18 project every 4 years.

The fact that AT has closed some of its less popular attractions could mean a few medium investments to replace them over the next few years.

I could live with a medium investment family wooden coaster, flume and dark ride (but we need a new thrill coaster too).

More regular medium investment options, marketed to the family and family thrill demographic could see gate figures rise year on year to get AT back to where it needs to be.

Someone said a bit further up about it being stupid to put a wooden ride in after the smiler crash.

This is purely marketing.

Blackpool has all the woodies and now are catching up with the steel.

The new coaster Blackpool have planned Alton can't compete with. So instead of trying to compete they're at least trying to rival by adding a woodie.

Looking at the plans, can anyone inform me where the skyride fits in?
I've highlighted it in a very obvious colour ;) (I hope I'm right....)
B7UdrH3wjlb6qWu8ZepXz9dWpFxWfEFqH9k-itK8vwA

Is this actually a world first or have they only said "ground breaking" i.e they've dug a trench for part of the track

The flat section inbetween the two inclines could be a good potential to have some kind of effect going on, linking in with a story. So incline on a normal lift, train goes level, music/effects/story kicks in as train goes slow, train moves onto second incline with a small launch.

These latest plans do not show a flat section of the lift like that recreation does. The lift hill is slightly steeper at its start though, becoming shallower once it has cleared the final brake run.

d99025f1fc204ca2b026a92d89fe074a.png

I think that mock up was made after the environmental impact plan came out. It still shows the double pitched lift hill.

Extremely mixed emotions. Pleased were getting wood and a pre show. If well themed could be great. Then you so the 3D model above and you think meh..... Hmmm

Disappointed. I hope I'm wrong but this looks like an uninspired and wasteful design. The layout is dull (even for family thrill) and the enormous space that they have to play with here has not been fully utilised.

Wooden coasters are at their best when they are lengthy and speedy with airtime hills and nippy turnarounds - this coaster looks like it will lumber around a level-ish track monotonously for a relatively short duration of time. The plans show a wooden coaster that neglects to incorporate the distinctive features that make woodies so great. It all just seems a little bit underwhelming.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.