• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
My boyfriend asked why fans are so keen to get a wooden roller coaster, and I realised I'm not actually sure. What reasons do people on here have for wanting a wooden one as opposed to a steel one?

I like the dark section. Personally I think it would be good if they have a reasonably long dark section without any 'surprises' in - it would be like a mini Black Hole (which I miss!). It adds to a roller coaster if you can't see what's coming. Of course this will be less significant for a lot of the people on here who know the layouts like the back of their hands, but it would add an extra element that is not really being used in the park at the moment (now that The Black Hole and The Flume are gone).

Also, nice point:

Please no more gimmicks and rides fully dedicated to ruining old ones.

My boyfriend asked why fans are so keen to get a wooden roller coaster, and I realised I'm not actually sure. What reasons do people on here have for wanting a wooden one as opposed to a steel one?
It's the old "grass is greener" syndrome, people always want what they can't have. While I enjoy a good woody, I'll never understand why some enthusiasts fap over them so much. I've said it before and I'll say it again: anything wood can do, steel can do better and with less uglyness.

I like a good woody as much as the next bloke but I agree with Diogo to an extent. Though in the case of Alton Towers they have a good mix of steel coasters now so a woody will help with variety.

Can't help feeling the trains will leave the lift hill faster than in that NL mock up but if so its going to be a short ride.

Also the FV woody was almost certainly not RMC so we ain't missing much.

There is a lot that a woodie offers that a steel one usually don't.

A woodie is usually riggerty, they throw you around, the restraints are basic and hardly hold you in allowing your bottom to leave the seat. They usually have drops and makes your stomach goes and after riding them all day, you'll usually end up with bruises.

A steel coaster on the other hand may be faster, but they are a lot more smoother. They usually lack stomach turning drops, they usually make use of helix s and inversions. The restraints usually don't allow much room for movement in your seats.

Bring on the Woodie

Roy :)

I can think of many steel coasters that give you bruises! :p
so can i, here's two (they're both at Blackpool PB, which i went to for the first time a few weeks ago):

firstly, the Steeplechase, which gave me a bad back:eek:! it's better now, though:). the cars (sorry, horses!) have a plastic thing around the saddle that dug into my back every time it went around a corner. ouch! the most painful coaster I've rode so far. bad mistake going on it:oops:.

lastly, the Avalanche (Bobsleigh coaster), which was very uncomfortable, as the safety bar kept getting tighter when we went up the lift hill, squashing me:eek:. again, bad mistake:oops:.

on the plus side, though, i went on a total of five roller coasters, the most at any park so far:)!

Last edited:
Of all the coasters at BPB that hurt... those two are pretty far down the bottom of my list!

i also went on the Big Dipper which, at one point, actually made my head hurt:eek:! defiantly won't be going on it again next time, as well as the two i previously mentioned.
The only way a steel coaster gives you bruises is when the ride operator rams the restraints extra tight :eek:
as i mentioned in an earlier post, the Avalanche's safety bar tightened itself when the train went up the lift hill, squashing me:eek:!

The Big One (more so at the back) and Infusion.
crikey, i very nearly went on that one (i had a queue jump, and was let on to the platform, then the operator reserved the very front two seats for me and my companion, but i chickened out, due to the pressure (i take ages to make my mind up sometimes)- it was either ride or don't ride, as i didn't want to hold the train for too long. i apologized to the operator, though, for keeping the front seats free for no reason). did i right decision, or is it not two bad at the front? if it isn't, i might go on it next time.

PMBO is not that bad in all honesty, especially at the front.

No, it's just really boring.

There are a few parts of the plans that show that Merlin have learnt in some regards. They've left themselves a long time to fix potential problems before the season starts. And the queue doesn't have any cattle pen sections.

Still not done the Big one. The best way to avoid pain on the woodies is to sit in the middle of the cars and not on the end!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.