2019: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WL18, 4th Nov 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt878787

Matt878787 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    That just defeats the object of it! Say it’s at 55 mins and you get refused SRQ, whilst being in a couple with a toddler with you and both parents want to use it. Keeping a toddler entertained in a ‘high thrill area’ of the park is a challenge in its bloody self.

Last edited: 3rd Aug 2019
    Poopoohead likes this.
  2. Doublethink

Doublethink TowersStreet Member

After coming back from Orlando and Sweeden I have realised that Nemy and Hex are the parks world class rides. Hex manages to crate an experience which is on pa I would say with universal and possibly Disney. The problem is that's the standard of almost every ride out there in the Orlando parks.

Godscrasher likes this.
  3. spinba11

spinba11 TowersStreet Member

I’ve had an idea, they close the SRQ it’s it’s as long as the main queue. Could you misheard the person at the entrance

4. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

No but I've had a response by Alton towers on facebook and they said the only reason SRQ would of been shut is if it was full

5. spinba11

That is strange then.

6. Ethan

I reckon it was just the staff member trying to keep people out the SRQ as they were struggling to get the queue moving. He was a bit arsey if I'm being honest

7. KiMa

KiMa TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Yeah when I was last at the park they refused to let us in the SRQ on a 70 minute queue but the next day the queue was 50 mins (though it lowered to 35 mins shortly after) and the SRQ was open as normal (and was walk on). Absolutely bizzare and I can only assume this is literally only done to sell more fastracks. I was wondering if this was normal practice or not because I never really used SRQs before when everything else had them.

8. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Were these instances during ‘school trip’ season by any chance?

KiMa likes this.
  9. KiMa

KiMa TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    The first day was the final day of school trip season, yeah. Second day wasn't, I had a feeling that it may have been related to that.

AT86 likes this.
  10. spinba11

I'm there tomorrow i will do some digging and get back to you.

KiMa likes this.
  11. Ethan

It was during school trip season when I went so maybe that has something to do with it ye

12. KiMa

KiMa TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I will also quickly add that when I asked why we weren't allowed in the SRQ the host said something along the lines of "I think because the main queue is too long". I looked at the SRQ too and it didn't look full either, assuming full means up to the sign which splits SRQ from FT and RAP.
    However, when I went near the start of the season, main queue was 80 minutes but the staff had no objection when it came to me using the SRQ.

13. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

It may be to do with if the SRQ is to the bottom of the stairs. There’s no point in using it. So the ride host my have saved you from a date worse than death.

KiMa likes this.
  14. Ethan

Any news on SRQ situation

15. spinba11

I had to change my plans I should be going tomorrow.

KiMa likes this.
  16. Laura91

Laura91 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Storm in a teacup
    SRQ was open today the main line was running at about 15 minutes.

17. spinba11

They only close the SRQ if it’s gets longer than the main which is to be expected.

Laura91 likes this.
  18. themeparkfan

themeparkfan TowersStreet Member

Right guys I know its not about alton towers but I can't believe what I heard on rock fm today. Now let's note this radio station covers the north west of England. The advert goes bounce, have fun and enjoy the giant inflatable fun visit thorpe park! And as an after thought stealth and swarm got a mention. I mean our local sports centre has a total wipe out inflatable weekend soon so why would I take a 500 or so mile round trip to jump on a bouncy castle?? What a waste of money for merlin considering they don't have money to invest in rides that advert must have cost a few thousand quid. I mean DBGT didn't even get a mention or has that gone the same way as N: ST since they cut the actors

19. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

I don't know much about how much advertising works but I suspect this isn't down to Merlin. They probably employed an advertising company who then organises when and where their adverts are played out. RockFM owned by Bauer Media Group, and it is in the Hits Radio group (https://www.bauermedia.co.uk/brands-network/hits-radio-brand). Bauer own a lot of national and other regional radio stations so my guess is this was played in error, or played out to all of their stations blanket-style. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong?

Last edited: 7th Aug 2019
  20. Ethan

Good day at towers. Nemesis and Rita were the best today. I rank the rides I did in this order today:
    1. Nemesis
    2. Rita
    3. Smiler
    4. Oblivion
    5. Galactica
    6. Th13teen
    Didn't manage to get on wicker man or spinball due to queues

Matt N likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.