• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Since the very first time I visited Alton Towers, nearly 60 years ago, I felt the magic of the place. For decades, generations of families have visited the Towers to enjoy family time and escape from the worries of daily life. And there’s never been a greater need for a place where families can escape and spend time together.

Earlier this month, we conducted a nationwide poll which shows that families, facing the uncertainty created by Brexit, will prioritise doing the things they love with the people they love in 2019. As a distraction from their worries, they’ll be spending more time and money on leisure activities, like visiting theme parks, to share happy memories with their loved ones.

Here are some of the things we found:
  • 73 percent of Brits say that worries and uncertainty over Brexit have drastically changed how they plan to spend both their time and money in 2019
  • Three quarters (73 per cent) of Brits spend time with loved ones to distract themselves from the things they are worried about
  • 64 per cent of respondents predicted they will prioritise their financial spending on quality time with loved ones in 2019
  • In 2018, British adults spent an average of £90 per month on leisure activities. This is set to almost double to £163 per month in 2019, equating to a whopping £8.2 billion across the UK, up 81 per cent on 2018’s £4.5 billion.
The Power of the Towers campaign is our response to this need for family escapism. It’s all about reminding people why they love Alton Towers precisely because:
  • It helps you escape your day to day lives
  • And brings you together with the people you love
  • Because nowhere else makes you feel the way a visit to Alton does
  • So you leave with amazing memories and can’t wait to return
This is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen a theme park put out.

Massive theme park

Unique world beating architecture

Beaufiful grounds

Fantastic music from IMA score and others.

Amazing atmosphere.

Fantastic rollercoaster,s 1 of which is amongst the very best in the world.

Look, I get it, there is cost cutting, there is upsell, there are SBNO attractions, there are less entertainers, etc, etc.

Its still magic.

It's still a great day out.

This 47 year old still feels like a kid and enjoys every minute of every visit.

The season pass is a absolutely phenomenal value.

I get the criticisms regarding Merlin, it's not perfect, and there will always be a compromise between quality and value.

It's still a great day out, it's still better value than the cinema, the theatre, a concert, pretty much anything.

I can think of plenty of things to moan about, but overall I, it's a fantastic day out, the season pass is great value. I think sometimes, we focus on the negatives and forget about the huge amount of fun that we have.

I have NEVER failed to have a great day at AT.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, or maybe, I go to have a great time rather than to moan about every little thing.

Just enjoy the day guys, don't over analyse, just be a kid again. That's what I do do, and it is by far my favorite day out in the UK.

u
I agree with every word there, I have many a good day at the Towers, then i come on here and it's made out to be about as bad as a day in accident and emergency.

I must admit that despite very much liking the whole idea behind the campaign, I would be inclined to agree; very bizarre to see them refer to Brexit so much...

I've long grown exhausted with the occasional, "When did the magic die?" discussion, but if it hadn't already, it did with that press release. It reads like an external business memo from a GCSE student they've accidentally employed to do brand consultancy. Somebody signed off on this! Absolutely tragic stuff that exhibits how the reputation and influence of the park has really been dulled. Honestly, Gullivers Kingdom wouldn't touch that.

That advertising campaign is about as magical as a maersk shipping container plastered over with stickers from a kids book.

Oh sorry, I forgot this was Merlin we are talking about!

I hope you're not referring to nemesis there
I was. Nemesis is fantastic and I cannot find enough superlatives to do it justice.

Don't get me wrong, I love smiler, wicker man, oblivion and thirteen too. air was ruined by the VR gimmick and rita never did anything for me though... (Maybe one day we'll get Sue and Bob too?)

...but, it's ok to like different things.

Just noticed... Must be subliminal, but I only gave Nemesis capitalisation! She deserves it!

It maybe a magicial day if you go on your own or as a couple but as a family with kids under 1.2m tall it’s a nightmare as last season on my daughters birthday weekend at the park we spend the whole day mainly in CBeebies which my daughter has now moved on to Cartoon Network and nick toons programs then on the other day my wife spend the day with my daughter as I went round on my own doing the coasters.

I must admit that despite very much liking the whole idea behind the campaign, I would be inclined to agree; very bizarre to see them refer to Brexit so much...

It's so they can blame it when visitor/profit figures fail to reach expectations.

I'm not sure about anybody else, but I haven't received at 75% pay rise this year, so I'm not sure where they've got this outrageous increase in leasure spending, it's almost as if they've made it up, shocker.

Power of the Towers must be the most lame tag line this park has come out with yet. What a load of old cobblers.

Power of the Towers must be the most lame tag line this park has come out with yet. What a load of old cobblers.

The memories that you make from the experiences you have at Alton Towers has been a theme of the Fireworks display several times over the last ten years. Doesn't seem a bad idea to me to do a whole years theme about making memories at Alton Towers.

One area Alton towers could really improve is creating social media moments, the kind of things that people want to take photos of, and share them with their friends.

One example of Alton towers doing really well on this recently is their large theming centerpieces - who hasn't taken a photo of Wickerman!

But they don't do very well with food and beverage. I've not seen any food that is photo worthy in Alton towers, it mostly looks quite sad.

Themed walls for Instagram photos, interesting benches and things to pose by also work.

These kind of things help show off the best side of the park, it's marketing. It's also how people look back on their trip, and the photo that can inspire them to come back. There is plenty of room for improvement in 'memory' making - maybe they could work on this, it's a win-win.

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.