• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Thorpe rapid works on a different system, they need the waterfalls to run in order to help with creating the water flow. (or that's what they told the H&S/Merlin )

Dunno who said that, I am 99.9% certain their rapids work exactly the same way as most rapids rides work. Certainly everyone in the UK. 4 pumps at the station (3 in operation at any one time), pulling water up from the low point below the lift hill, back upto station level ready to flow back down and around the ride course.

Sooner than that. It’s the John Lewis private hire event tomorrow.

Suppose John Lewis employees better enjoy perks like this whilst they last, considering their historically very generous bonus has been slashed down to only about 3% this year (according to the radio yesterday). Customer assistants used to be able to pick up bonuses of between £1000-2000 if I remember correctly!

A friend of mine worked at JL and I went to their event at Thorpe Fright Nights years ago and it was absolutely rammed. 2 hour queues for all the mazes and coasters so it was completely pointless.

If anyone is going tomorrow, does that mean we will see photos on the TowersStreet Facebook page from inside the park, as I seem to remember previous John Lewis days producing similar photos?

Maybe we might even see what the Dungeons are looking like!

If anyone is going tomorrow, does that mean we will see photos on the TowersStreet Facebook page from inside the park, as I seem to remember previous John Lewis days producing similar photos?

Maybe we might even see what the Dungeons are looking like!
It’s possible you might see the facade unless it’s fenced off but no chance of inside the dungeon.

WILL THE ALTON TOWERS DUNGEON BE OPEN FOR THE JOHN LEWIS EVENT?

No this new attraction will be launched at a later date.
https://support.altontowers.com/hc/...ers-Dungeon-be-open-for-the-John-Lewis-Event-

WILL THE ALTON TOWERS DUNGEON BE OPEN ON SERVICES WEEKEND?

No this new attraction will be launched at a later date.
https://support.altontowers.com/hc/...n-Towers-Dungeon-be-open-on-Services-Weekend-

Suppose John Lewis employees better enjoy perks like this whilst they last, considering their historically very generous bonus has been slashed down to only about 3% this year (according to the radio yesterday). Customer assistants used to be able to pick up bonuses of between £1000-2000 if I remember correctly!

It goes up and down. The john lewis partnership is run for long term gain not share holder (it technically does not have any ) profit. Ontop of days out like this each partner gets 50% off (in terms of real money paid into their payslip) for event and days put tickets (concerts etc upto £75) per year, 50% off of attractions (vouchers like bogof) and access to the john lewis holiday hotels around the country. So yes the bonus is lower but next year it could be alot higher.

Thorpe rapid works on a different system, they need the waterfalls to run in order to help with creating the water flow. (or that's what they told the H&S/Merlin )

Dunno who said that, I am 99.9% certain their rapids work exactly the same way as most rapids rides work. Certainly everyone in the UK. 4 pumps at the station (3 in operation at any one time), pulling water up from the low point below the lift hill, back upto station level ready to flow back down and around the ride course.

I think the point is the effects on Rhumba change the flow of the water dramatically (rather than being necessary for water levels) so would make the ride less safe to turn them off rather than increasing safety:

In the tunnel, the waterfall creates a flow towards the boat as it rounds the corner, without it you have a hefty bump into the corner in the dark, with it water itself helps buffer the boat round smoothly.

After the tunnel the wave machines do the same, without the the boats flow heavily into the wall, and also can get completely stuck on the outside of the channel.

Alton's don't have this issue, with the waterfalls on a straight section and the wave machines not being essential to flow.

The entire park opens at 9:30am today. Shame they don't put so much effort in for their regular guests, wonder how much they've been payed for today?

No idea what JL has paid but the cost of hiring the park for the day is around £95,000 for a min of 5,000 guests.

Can I be the first to post a ridetimes pic this season..
q times ! :)
HR0pfz4_d.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.