• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2019] Hotel Krønasår

The Danish Burger was amazing!

27e7ad8b9ab4d4749d6e3f382042ebba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Michael Mack has confirmed at IAAPA European Attractions Show that connectivity to the rest of Europa-Park is an issue for Kronasar/Rulantica and they are working with Mack Rides on a monorail.

He has also said that while the hotel has gone down very well, there are still things to improve with it.

Last edited:
I’m wondering whether they’ve built the hotel with the possibility of a monorail in mind. It’s got to have been considered during planning, but I can’t think of any obvious space they’ve left for a station.

It will certainly improve the feeling of being one resort; at the moment, Kronasar can feel a little disconnected. Plus, the buses can be absolutely heaving.

it was interesting to hear that Michael is pushing Mack Rides to get it done. Could it perhaps be something we see construction starting on soon I wonder.

I would have thought the station would be considered for long term expansion in order to be done cost effectively and future-proofed; therefore situating it towards the back of Rulantica so that it essentially sits at the heart of expansion territory.

On the assumption they'll extend the current monorail (as was done with the small one in 2010 and the large one when Voletarium was built) I wonder how it will service all the stops?
The logical thing to me would be to flip the direction. So from Rulantica to the Hotel Entrance (assume it follows the main road). Hotel to Park Entrance. The 2 stops in the park then back to Rulantica.
Or a second line which services only the hotels. Maybe remove the hotel and Spanish stop to create a new station near the drop of Atlantica with one loop serving the park only and the other Rulantica and Hotels.

My would imagine it to be a separate monorail system to the existing Von Roll one with a simple line from the current hotels - Rulantica/Kronasar.

You could then switch over the the existing line if you wanted to get to the other side of the park.

The existing monorail at EP is not from Mack Rides. I don't think that they can extend it.
They already added a short extention to make room for the flying simulator thingy, so it could happen.

I posted an image of my idea for a route for EP Express a couple of years back when this was first announced. But I think their best option now would be a new, seperate monorail linking all the hotels, including the camp resort, and the park entrance. Much easier to keep it all outside the park itself than to have to keep checking tickets at each station.

Whilst I admire the idea of a new/extended monorail, I just don't see how they could possibly justify the cost. The only transport infrastructure I could see being even close to being practical/affordable over the required distances would be a Towers-esque skyride. Which would obviously draw criticism for being a Disney skyliner rip-off. A new monorail would be great though.

Whatever they do, they should consider improving their car park capacity at the same time. A new transport link could make this easier and avoid the need for expanding the main car parks.

Whilst I admire the idea of a new/extended monorail, I just don't see how they could possibly justify the cost. The only transport infrastructure I could see being even close to being practical/affordable over the required distances would be a Towers-esque skyride. Which would obviously draw criticism for being a Disney skyliner rip-off. A new monorail would be great though.

Whatever they do, they should consider improving their car park capacity at the same time. A new transport link could make this easier and avoid the need for expanding the main car parks.

Financial viability is not something that’s stopped them before. In the grand scheme of things and given that this area is clearly earmarked for major expansion of both attractions and hotels, I think a monorail is almost essential to service the area and integrate it with the rest of the resort.

I suspect it will also add to the attractiveness of Kronasar as a resort, similar to how it does at WDW with the “Monorail Resorts”.

Logistically, it certainly makes more sense as a second loop, with an interchange with the existing EP Express. That way the EP Express won’t have to run through an extended track to Kronasar for people wanting to reach Spain from the Main Entrance for example. It also allows greater flexibility in how they run the system.

Financial viability is not something that’s stopped them before.

Nor have accusations of ripping off Disney, so I suppose a cable car system could also be possible. But aren't they building one to France, too? Literally, France.

There's certainly no room to expand the Monorail interchange in Spain, given that it literally backs onto the road, but I'm sure they can figure it.

That was partially why I said skyride, but in rewriting the post I accidentally removed the mental connection

Can the shuttle busses that they currently have not handle the people? Although I agree having a Monorail link looks more appealing / is permanent, it's not uncommon for the parks to just make do with the shuttles. Disneyland Paris Parks - Hotels and Universal's Volcano Bay for example.

When we were there earlier this year there were times when the buses travelling from outside Colosseo were absolutely rammed.

I suppose there’s nothing stopping them putting on more buses to sort this, which is why I think the idea is aimed at improving the experience and perception of connectivity rather than there just being no other way of increasing capacity.

It seems to be that capacity at peak times has been the issue. And anyway, Europa-Park never take the 'make do' attitdude to things, they will want a more satisfactory solution.

You also have to remember that that is going to be a lot of expansion in the Krønasår/Rulantica resort area over the next 10 years, with expansions to Rulantica and at least one other hotel in the pipeline. This gives even more reason for them to desire something like a monorail.

They really need bendy buses in the short term to give each bus more capacity, especially during park open/close. Rust is a pretty forgiving village considering the traffic Europa-Park causes, but the route the bus takes is ultimately down relatively small residential streets to get to Bell Rock and later to the hotel park entrance at El Andaluz. The potential for it being stuck in traffic going too/from the hotels isn't a good look for guests expecting speed of access to the park being a perk of paying the higher prices to stay on resort.

Ultimately the park will be looking to move car parking further east toward the A5 away from the village, they have a chunk of land to the south east of the current hotel/waterpark for that reason:

europa-park-expansion-1.jpg

Pic: ThemeparkX

Coupled with the A5 junction improvements, that helps park traffic getting in and out as they're closer to the motorway. They'd obviously then need a mass transit system, which could tie in with a monorail for the Rulantica resorts quite nicely. So as much as a monorail seems like a ridiculous expense at present, it'll be a very sensible and solid investment in the long term. If anything the project costs are probably much smaller as well when the land to put it on is currently relatively clear before they go into further development.

Even the DLP buses get rammed... Fortunately unless you're in one of the partner hotels walking is a safe option...