• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: Scandinavia & Snorri Touren

Interesting article on Baden FM today stating that the fire started due to a fault on part of Fjord Rafting, rather it being on equipment backstage which is what many assumed. There's not much detail other than that, but at a guess it's maybe something like the wave machines or some of the electrical equipment running it that's malfunctioned.

How strange, the only wave machine in that area is undernear Fjord Restaurant but it doesn't seem like the fire started there. Maybe it is linked to the flame effect they had in the tunnel?

EDIT:

EP have confirmed this themselves via their French Twitter account:

The criminal police investigations carried out following the fire at the leisure park at Rust and the preliminary evaluation of the results of the technical expert reports indicate that the fire seems to be in the "Fjord-Rafting" area of attraction

The origin of the fire is probably due to a technical failure based on the current state of the investigation. For now, there is nothing to indicate the involvement of a third party in the incident.

The technical investigations of the fire experts will nevertheless continue for some time and the final conclusions are not yet established.

:)

Could be related to the fire effects in World if Trolls maybe?

Completely forgot about those until Rob and Pierre mentioned it while chatting earlier. Such a shame if that is the case, so much damage by what are relatively small effects :(

Of course it could just have been a light fitting or some other electrical fitting inside of the tunnel, but your mind does immediately think of that effect.

Elsewhere, the following photo has appeared in a news report showing that one of the towers in Scandinavia has now been demolished:

img_L2ZtLzgxOS90aHVtYm5haWxzLzE1MjgyNzYyNzZfR3JvYnJhbmRpbkV1cm9wYVAxNjM2NDEzOC5qcGcuMzY4OTc5NDcuanBn_L2ZtLzgxOS90aHVtYm5haWxzLzE1MjgyNzYyNzZfR3JvYnJhbmRpbkV1cm9wYVAxNjM2NDEzOC5qcGcuMzY4OTc5NDkuanBn.jpg

Thinking about it, it’s more likely to have been caused by a motor or electrical fault than a controlled gas fire, as that would have been built with extra safeguards in mind. Motors on fjord rafting would suggest a minor lack of maintenance in that part; if it’s electrical then it’s unfortunate that electronics had degraded to the point of being unsafe

The way that this fire spread so far so quickly is shocking.

Indeed, and it could quite easily have spread even more and potentially have wiped out the majority of back office functionality! I'm guessing there was a lot of very flammable stuff in the warehouse between the Fjord Rafting tunnel and Pirates (was this costumes?) and it just took off.

Meanwhile, Michael Mack has just posted the following regarding something he has done at a local radio station:

To translate the last part: And yes, the Pirates are coming back! We can't give any details yet, but you'll get a place again.

Looks like Europa have now blocked out some of the areas affected by the fire.

060618drag5.jpg

060618drag3.jpg

060618drag1.jpg

060618drag2.jpg

Photos from Looopings.

Really amazing to see how much effort they are putting into making the park look presentable and get as much of the affected areas and rides open as soon as possible! :)

A clip of what Michael Mack said regarding Pirates:

And I've translated the German subtitles for you all:

The pirates will definitely come back. I think it's too early today to talk in detail about how they will come back. There are also many petitions and proposals and ideas, which of course we all read very carefully.

We want to make a product that pleases our customers. Of course we should also like it, because then it will be 10 or 20 percent better. But they will definitely come back.

They really are a different breed when it comes to TP operators.

Profits are clearly important to them as they are to anybody else but that doesn't seem to be their main driver. They seem to want to create escapism and fun more than make loads of cash. Not surprised that Pirates will be rebuilt at all and I'm sure they'll probably make it even better as almost a two finger salute to the fire.

Can't wait to take my little lad in a few yeary time. As soon as he's 1.3m I'm booking the flights.

Think they also want their showroom to look as pristine as possible when potential clients come to visit and try out the rides, but that's a purely cynical view, as they wouldn't even need to go to the levels that Europa actually does to have such a situation...

They simply understand that investment to create the best product possible helps to generate even more profits. No devaluing of the product with silly offers, ensuring that more guests come to the park year on year, therefore generating more in park spends year on year.

They are unique. Their response to this tragedy has also been unique.

I have only been the one time sadly and I'm not planning on going back now till my lad is 7 (currently 4) so hopefully they will have rebuilt it by then. I'm sure they will have.

I hope the following remain:

- An animatronic that says 'oh ****, forget it"
- An animatronic that is blindingly drunk, speaking English and minces words

It still remains quite strange to think I will never ride Piraten in Batavia again. I know it wasn't the best dark ride in Europe, but it was one of the biggest and everyone likes a good boat ride. The music and atmosphere in that attraction was great. And to think... it was the RAPIDS that caused it :(

Hopefully, if the new ride remains a boat ride (which I hope it will!) - then they can have a drop at the start AND at the end...!