• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: Scandinavia & Snorri Touren

It was absolutely absurd last Saturday. In the most awful way.

We stood in Castillo Alcazar, suddenly a comment of 'what is that?' - a turn around and there, billowing into the sky, dark smoke - and then the flames. I wasn't quite sure what was burning, but knew it was the vicinity of the backstage areas/Piraten in Batavia. The fire spread, and before long it was obvious that Scandinavia, and its lovely towers, were also burning. The pitched roof of the Fjord Restaurant terrace was also in full flames.

We walked from the hotels to Silver Lake Saloon, through Rust - as the EP Express was, understandably, out of service. In the village - everywhere people were on the streets, looking, pointing, gasping. The park - their park - was burning and nobody knew exactly what. Occasionally, between buildings, the smoke was higher and higher.

Upon walking past the park entrance, guests were flooding out - as the park had carefully closed rides area by area, gradually forcing guests out. There was no panic. No stampede. Silver Star continued running a little longer - with the smoke behind, and gradually, rides closed.

Our al fresco meal at Silver Lake was... subdued. I had never seen anything like it, and the atmosphere was quite surreal. I could tell the staff were a little uncertain about what was going on.

The night came, we slept - and then the news that the park was to open at 9am as usual. Incredibly, the Monorail, Vindjammer and other rides opened too, although slightly later.

In many areas you couldn't tell there had been a problem. But in some areas, you really could.

One of the largest dark rides in Europe has been wrecked - but I am certain that from the ashes, EP will deliver something worthy of its replacement.

Well done, Europa.

A few bits and pieces I've found around the internets today. This tweet gives a clear view of the Pirates entrance with the top of the facade now demolished

Elsewhere, a photo update over on Pret Parken shows the work taking place around the area:

Like Pirates, the area around the Camp David shop and our favourite 'Rotherham Shopping Centre' has also had the top of the facades removed. The priority seems to be to remove these so that more general access can be given to crews to continue cleanup work

20180531_125251.jpg

There's lots of cleanup works around Fjord Rafting at the moment in an effort to get another high capacity ride running for peak season. With the trough covered in debris and soot, work is taking place clearing it out. A tree has been cut down which was presumably considered unsafe following the fire.

20180531_131846.jpg

20180531_131954.jpg

With Fjord rafting running when the fire started, the lake is also contaminated, so its being pumped out ready for refilling with clean water.

20180531_133035.jpg

^ Do you think Fjord Rafting will be back open in time for the ES mini meet on the 28th July?

It looks like they are working very hard to get Fjord open again as soon as they possibly can. It should certainly open by the end of this month at the latest, so long as they do not encounter any unforseen problems.

:)

I would anticipate Fjord Rafting being open by the end of next week. The park will be doing everything they can to re-open it, as it's an incrediby popular - and high capacity - ride!

It's also great!

I am sure a tunnel of some sort will reappear during winter.

I've come across the following photo on Twitter, which shows some of the more extensive damange to Fjord Rafting:

De7DuRXXcAA1kQT.jpg

Unsurprisingly the tunnel that the ride passes through has been totally destroyed. It will be great to have Fjord Rafting back open, however it is going to be a surreal ride. I think one of the wave machines was located undernear Fjord Restaurant as well; even if it survived the fire I doubt it is going to be operational.

:)

Last edited:
I would imagine that over the coming winter, they will get Intamin to come in and re-do the wave machine in the affected area. In addition, I would expect to re-do a tunnel element.

Reactions: Rob