2020: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danny, 20th Nov 2019.

1. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Tomb blaster is a controlled flow, Hex is people milling around a building in the dark. I imagine the issue with Duel is the loading platform but I find that a little more baffling.

If the reason for those closures was budget cuts they would have shut down more staff heavy rides.

air_head and skyscraper like this.
  2. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

What about Duel then?

3. TPJames

TPJames TowersStreet Member

Okay and why is Rita closed, and Congo river rapids.

And Thorpe park has rumba rapids, rush, storm surge, depth charge, timber tug, rocky express and tidal wave closed.

They are just trying to cut back on their losses, which is fine in all respects, but I would expect these closures to be advertised online in advance before visiting, not just turning up to find half the park closed, that’s cheating guests out of their money.

4. Ethan

Well based on today any future guests know what to expect so they don't have to go if they don't want

MaxPower likes this.
  5. TPJames

Yes, but it’s still not fair that today’s guests are “guinea pigs” and weren’t notified of all the ride closures.

Its typical merlin, but I just think it’s really unprofessional.

Ethan likes this.
  6. siralgenon

siralgenon TowersStreet Member

That is not the attitude the country's largest park should take.

Ethan likes this.
  7. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

I mentioned Duel in the post.... read it.

River rapids you can’t stop one boat bouncing into another boat and if it does that you are pretty damn close. I suspect as always Rita is technical issues,

skyscraper likes this.
  8. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    CRR is open, only ride we've got on so far today.

The park is clearly quiet but queue times are long

jon81uk, Alsty, Swarm Chris and 4 others like this.
  9. tayspru

tayspru TowersStreet Member

I’m seeing different reports - is Sea Life open or not ?

skyscraper likes this.
  10. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I take it the queue times are likely down to enhanced cleaning procedures and lower ride capacities?

Apparently Wicker Man is leaving a row between each group (which I find strange given that the guy on BBC Midlands said that it could theoretically run at full capacity with 1m+ distancing). Nemesis, however, is loading people in each row but separating people within the rows; I’d assume the other 4-across coasters are the same.

Most interestingly of all, Wicker Man’s pre-show is still running, but you just queue through the room while the effects go off instead of all being batched in.

11. Islander

Islander TowersStreet Member

Ah, that'll be great each time the preshow resets...

James, skyscraper and Matt N like this.
  12. siralgenon

It's bad when Legoland has the best ride availability out of all the Merlin Parks.

TPJames likes this.
  13. TPJames

It doesn’t even matter why these attractions are closed, my point is the closures should be clearly advertised on the website before visiting. Day passes are £40+ and you simply aren’t getting any value for money whatsoever if you aren’t being clearly told what’s going to be open and what’s going to be closed for the whole day (last minute unexpected closures of course are not relevant to this).

It’s a typical merlin strategy, don’t advertise the full offering to get people through the gates and get the cash, and then disappoint them when they arrive with half the rides unexpectedly closed as it wasn’t advertised on the website before arrival.

This is exactly why I haven’t been to a merlin park in 5 years. I was thinking about going to chessington next week but after seeing ride availability today across the merlin parks, it’s not worth the £34.50 price tag anymore.

Croftybaby likes this.
  14. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Would there be anybody in the whole country who would expect a full provision of rides and attractions on the morning of the first day of a theme park, after six months of closure, in the current virus circumstances?
    Oh yeah...enthusiasts.
    Good job I'm just a Beach happy clapper.
    Give em a break!

15. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Got the app working now, saying Smiler is closed currently... Was at 60 before.

16. siralgenon

If you actually read what people are saying, the main point isn't that they're closed, it's that they're not advertised as closed.

But as I said, if parks outside of the Merlin group can open all / the majority of their attractions then there's no excuse Merlin can't.
    • Pleasure Beach have re-opened with all attractions bar a select few that include touching a lot of surfaces / social distancing cant be implemented ,i.e Impossible, Chinese Puzzle Maze.
    • PortAventura are opening with attractions bar children's play areas.
    • Disneyland Paris are opening with all attractions bar children's play areas and shows.
    • Universal have opened with all attractions bar shows.
    • Europa Park have opened with all attractions bar children's play areas and shows.
    ...and on a slightly different note, Chessington and Legoland have opened with indoor attractions meaning some indoor attractions meaning there is no need for Duel to be closed at Towers.

So actually, yes, I would expect the majority of attractions to be open, and if not they should be advertised as such.

Croftybaby and TPJames like this.
  17. Ethan

The queues aren't too bad considering distancing measures

skyscraper likes this.
  18. TPJames

Because that’s what every professional and respectable park would do?

Europa park, efteling, Drayton manor, Phantasialand, I could go on. They all posted the list of attractions which would and would not be available when they reopened this season? Actually even chessington and Legoland did, so there’s no reason why alton towers and Thorpe park had to just leave their customers blind as to what’s actually going to be open.

By the sound of your tone, you’re probably a merlin pass holder. You can stick up for them all you want but I’m highlighting fundamental issues in the way alton towers and Thorpe are operating right now. Not advertising what is closed is effectively lying to your full paying customers (£35+) and that’s going to leave a sour taste in their mouth. It’s hardly good for customer service and satisfaction.

SuperMuscleMan and Croftybaby like this.
  19. Josh555

Josh555 TowersStreet Member

No, you wouldn’t but looking at that list it’s reasonable to expect there to be less closures than there currently are.

Whilst I take the mitigating circumstances point, the inverse of that is that they’ve had months to get everything running smoothly and they haven’t done, if on the other hand the closures are forced on them due to social distancing measures then these should be advertised beforehand as it would have been known.

This is exactly why I’ve got little by way of plans to go to a theme park this year as if I was there today I’d be gutted. Why can they not open Thirteen, for example?

Croftybaby and TPJames like this.
  20. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

The throughputs are not very good today. Combine social distancing and then big gaps to clean the rides and it's making for large queues. This is with probably the smallest allocation of guests allowed in for a day as well. People are going to have to get used to very big queues this season if they bother going. Just left myself and didn't bother waiting for any rides.

Edit - Or maybe there will be some quieter midweek days or something? Who knows.

ringo likes this.