2020: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danny, 20th Nov 2019.

1. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

What happened at thorpe?

2. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Alton Towers is never as bad as Thorpe Park, remember that Alton Towers has separate Thrill/Family areas and even then I haven't seen any problems in the thrill areas.

Swarm Chris and skyscraper like this.
  3. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

You’ll be fine. Said day has been and gone.

skyscraper likes this.
  4. Ethan

Oh the travellers

5. Britford

Britford TowersStreet Member

SPEAK NO EVIL!!!

6. Connor98

Connor98 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    What days even was this, I luckily seem to miss it every year. Unless I’m just being stereotypical and didn’t notice either way :tearsofjoy:

7. Matt878787

Matt878787 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Last year Friday 18th October wasn’t pleasant. It felt fine until the afternoon and the atmosphere changed, queue jumping, intimidating behaviour in queues, having bits of food being thrown at us at our table in Pizza & Pasta.

Couldn’t even have a pint in the Welcome Inn to soften the mood because of the very people driving me to drink o_O

Connor98 likes this.
  8. Connor98

Connor98 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    sounds one to make sure to miss in the future! Luckily I’ve never experienced anything like that at towers, so let’s keep it that way.

skyscraper and Matt878787 like this.
  9. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

I've found the opposite. In general the Thorpe day attracts significantly lower
    numbers overall with a lot fewer issues as a result. The numbers at the Towers day are usually huge, as are the problems caused.

This year it seems to have switched round.

10. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Also the general thing at Thorpe is they had scare zones where people were attacking or spitting at actors. Alton Towers only has scare mazes.

11. Kraken27

Kraken27 TowersStreet Member

I can assure you that the scare mazes at Towers have had to be evacuated on occasions in previous years when the travelling community descended on scarefest en-masse. Exact same reasons too, namely actors being assaulted / laser pens shone in their faces etc.

skyscraper likes this.
  12. jon81uk

Oh I can believe that. But in the current pandemic situation the mazes are easier to control and manage as well.

skyscraper likes this.
  13. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

Tweet from Towers Times, the new Channel 4 documentary about Towers will be shown at 10.15pm on 3rd November:

Connor98, Mikw, Matt N and 1 other person like this.
  14. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Shame it's at quarter past 10, I'll have to watch it on catch up. :(

15. Ethan

Featuring the legend himself Francis jackson

16. Kraken27

Kraken27 TowersStreet Member

The very man who many say took Alton Towers "back home" - i.e. down under. Mr "it's better than nothing" on the social media account was prevalent under his current reign. He [Francis] chose to use social media to blame ride stoppages on guests with mobile phones / cameras etc - a lot of this is true. However we all know on here how Merlin were running Towers into the ground at the same time too, not least due to the losses attributed to the incident on The Smiler.

It really is now - "Alton Towers - Where your wallet never closes".

17. jon81uk

I think he was reacting to newspapers who were putting up stupid headlines of "suspended 50ft in the air" when a coaster stopped on a lift hill for 10 minutes. In the majority of those cases it would be the case of an loose object causing the stoppage so he wasn't wrong. I think its the papers who are in the wrong for printing sensationalist headlines about routine stoppages.

Yes the park was being run on a tight budget, but I think it was obvious that it was the aftermath of the Smiler incident and this year they have increased hours and removed a lot of closed days as guest numbers picked up.

If any of the Merlin parks are being run into the ground it is Chessington.

skyscraper likes this.
  18. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Those videos were part of a Merlin wide campaign as part of the ‘Behind the Magic’ series/blog - it wasn’t a case of Francis himself ‘choosing’ that approach.

https://backstage.merlinentertainments.biz/2020/ride-safety-video-series/

19. Mikw

Mikw TowersStreet Member

I don't think Alton is that bad! Had many a great day out the last few years, they've really put an effort in this year as well.

While cuts were made after that incident, we got Wickerman

20. themeparkfan

themeparkfan TowersStreet Member

So it looks like stoke is going into tier 2 and the number of regions going into tier 3 is increasing. As you shouldn't leave a tier 3 area are alton towers allowing you to book a trip if you give a postcode for a tier 3 area? Who would be breaking the law the person travelling or alton towers for letting you visit? Also as alton towers has a stoke postcode won't they have to police indoor areas as households can't mix? Logistical knightmare for half term