• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Since all Season Passes have the same expiry, this shouldn't be so much of a problem surely?
You would think that but merlin don't have the best track record for having all passes collected in one transaction the same date on the system.
I'm not optimistic about it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Alton Towers have apparently confirmed that all 2020 season passes purchased before 18th May 2020 (today) are to be extended to 30th June 2021:

Good news for all you season pass holders!

No apparently about it, it's in their FAQs.

It does look like they're getting more confident with the dates though and are looking towards a July opening if possible.

Worth noting that if you are the type to buy a season pass each year then this offer of extending 2020 passes until 30th June 2021 will still mean you will pay the same amount as if the park hadn’t been closed for 3 months.

Come June 2021 you will need to buy a 2021 season pass to enable further visits that season and the price will be the same as if purchased in March. Unless they give some kind of reduced price offer that is.

People will still pay for them though even with that being the case. They can't exactly knock the price down either as they're about the same as a 1 day ticket or a bit more if you want the premium with free parking and Scarefest. At the end of the day it's a bit of a bummer that you've missed a few months of this season but if you're likely to visit 3-4 times when they do open then it's still good value to get one unless people want to be stubborn and just refuse on principle.

Not too impressed with the season pass situation to be honest. So after June next year I'll have to buy a new one as AT86 has said, so I'm getting a season and a half for the same price as two seasons had coronavirus not happened.

Not too impressed with the season pass situation to be honest. So after June next year I'll have to buy a new one as AT86 has said, so I'm getting a season and a half for the same price as two seasons had coronavirus not happened.
That's assuming they don't decide to put a 2020 extension for rest of 2021 upgrade offer in place.
I'm not sure if they will do that exactly but I expect they will use the opportunity to generate further revenue by some sort of upgrade, it might be extend for the season or it could be upgrade to map.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

At the end of the day people could get a refund for this season's pass if they really wanted to. I bet most people won't though when they actually do the sums and realise that they're still getting decent value even on 3-4 visits on what will be left of this season. People moan about Merlin ripping people off but these passes have been an exception to that rule and are ridiculously cheap.

For those who work regular hours, what are the chances of fitting three or four weekend/holiday visits in if they limit numbers and make booking online compulsory?
Extra visits later in the season isnt an option for many.

At the end of the day people could get a refund for this season's pass if they really wanted to.

They aren’t offering refunds as far as I know? They actually state on the website after the section on extending passes that ‘all other terms remain the same’ i.e no refunds.

If you ask properly explaining your consumer rights explaining that you intended to use it this year then I'm pretty sure you'll get your refund if you persist.

If you want a refund you'll be able to get one by law because they've not provided you with the service you've paid for. It'll take some emailing but you'll get it.

If you want a refund you'll be able to get one by law because they've not provided you with the service you've paid for. It'll take some emailing but you'll get it.
But it’s due to a situation completely out of their control - it’s an act of god. I don’t know their terms and conditions inside out, but they could argue that way quite easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CMA is saying otherwise. Lots of info on their website which isn’t worth plastering here. But essentially if a business has been unable to provide an agreed service due to government restrictions regarding Covid-19 then consumers are entitled to a refund even under terms that state no refunds allowed. (Such as season passes).

Furthermore the option of a refund should be made just as clear as any option to move dates, provide credits etc.

You could argue Merlin are not exactly behaving in this manor. Although they aren’t alone in this of course.

But it’s due to a situation completely out of their control - it’s an act of god. I don’t know their terms and conditions inside out, but they could argue that way quite easily.

The law is the law, the act of god disclaimer is to cover them selves it a ride was to break down, or the park is unable to open for a day or two.

A company can't implement unfair trade terms and if they are unable to provide a service or the goods, then you are entitled to a refund.

If you paid for something like accommodation, tickets or passes before the lock-down, you should be able to have a refund if you are unable to access your booking. However, anyone purchasing accommodation, tickets or passes after the lock-down, then you are probably going to have less of a leg to stand on as you knew the situation before you part with your money.

A company can get out of things if it has a force majeure clause in the contract. I believe Tui used it to not pay for hotel rooms this year in their resorts. If Alton has a clause in its contact, then it could get out of giving a refund, or anything for matter. Most contracts do have these clauses in them to cover them for any unforseen circumstances like war, natural events etc

Worth looking at point six in the Merlin Annual Pass Ts and Cs:

6. Merlin, in its absolute discretion, reserves the right to vary the opening and closing dates of the Attractions and to close, remove or cancel all or any part of the rides, events or facilities within the Attractions for any reason including, but not limited to, technical, health and safety and/or operational reasons or due to special events or private functions. For the avoidance of doubt, the full value or any part of the value of the Annual Pass will not be refunded nor will any compensation be payable if any of the Attractions become unavailable or if any or part of any of the Attractions are closed or removed from the Annual Pass scheme.

That's no doubt what they will try and fall back on, especially as it also cites that no compensation will be payable, but they are indeed providing compensation though validity extensions.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.