• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Unfortunately for Merlin even that wouldn't stand up in a court of law, if it had to go that far.

A person purchasing a season pass is clearly purchasing it for use in the season where they have bought it, exactly as the headlines of the advertisements would have been selling it to you. Thankfully courts understand that your average consumer isn't going to read every bit of small print that every company wants to include hidden somewhere in the depths of its website/literature. The fact that it's called a season pass is the dead giveaway that it's been sold to you on the basis that you use it for that season unless clearly stated otherwise beforehand. Merlin would lose and I doubt they'd want the bad publicity anyway in trying to deny you a refund if you make it clear you're not going to go away easily.

Unfortunately for Merlin even that wouldn't stand up in a court of law, if it had to go that far.

A person purchasing a season pass is clearly purchasing it for use in the season where they have bought it, exactly as the headlines of the advertisements would have been selling it to you. Thankfully courts understand that your average consumer isn't going to read every bit of small print that every company wants to include hidden somewhere in the depths of its website/literature. The fact that it's called a season pass is the dead giveaway that it's been sold to you on the basis that you use it for that season unless clearly stated otherwise beforehand. Merlin would lose and I doubt they'd want the bad publicity anyway in trying to deny you a refund if you make it clear you're not going to go away easily.
I've said before, but I'm certain the reason merlin aren't mentioning pass refunds is they know they have to offer them but they don't want people to ask for a refund as the first course of action.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

They dont have to offer them...terms and conditions.
If people insist, they can take civil action to recover costs.
That would test the fairness of the terms.
Not straightforward at all.

They dont have to offer them...terms and conditions.
If people insist, they can take civil action to recover costs.
That would test the fairness of the terms.
Not straightforward at all.
I can say from experience merlin will go "here have a refund and go away" way before it would get to court.

“Act of God”

:rolleyes:
Your point being?

It's what legally this pandemic would be classed as, whether you are religious or (like me) not at all. It's just a legal term, to cover things like earthquakes, floods, pandemics etc.

Last edited:
Obviously when they reopen the capacity will be reduced, so what do you think it'll be reduced to? A lot of people seem to think the current max capacity is 28,000, but I'm sure I was told it was more like 35,000. But I reckon it'll be about 15,000 max when it reopens

Obviously when they reopen the capacity will be reduced, so what do you think it'll be reduced to? A lot of people seem to think the current max capacity is 28,000, but I'm sure I was told it was more like 35,000. But I reckon it'll be about 15,000 max when it reopens

Alton Towers at 15,000 is pretty busy these days. Europa-Park are setting their capacity at 15,000 when their usual capacity is 60,000.

Alton Towers capacity is also not 35,000. I don't know if they have ever had a day with that many guests in their history.

The capacity was listed as 28,000 in 2014, and I think the park may potentially have less rides than it did in 2014, so I’d maybe guess at around 25,000 these days?

If the capacity is at around 25,000, then I’d wager somewhere between 7,500 (30% capacity) and 12,500 (50% capacity) will be allowed in to begin with, although they may increase this later on if the case numbers allow.

Since 2014 we’ve lost Ripsaw, Twirling Toadstools, the Flume (but Wicker Man is in its place so can’t count that), Charlie that’s been replaced with a paid attraction, the kids play area in CCL Sub Terra and at this point Blade.

https://whatculture.com/offbeat/every-major-alton-towers-ride-ranked-worst-to-best?page=11
Honestly, I don't know who wrote this but apparently according to this article, the Congo River Rapids in their current state are better than Hex and Galactica, apparently Rita is better than Nemesis, but the thing that got me was the fact that apparently, ever since the Smiler was built, no ride has been better or topped it ever since.
Icon: Am I a joke to you?

https://whatculture.com/offbeat/every-major-alton-towers-ride-ranked-worst-to-best?page=11
Honestly, I don't know who wrote this but apparently according to this article, the Congo River Rapids in their current state are better than Hex and Galactica, apparently Rita is better than Nemesis, but the thing that got me was the fact that apparently, ever since the Smiler was built, no ride has been better or topped it ever since.
What culture are like the daily mail of lists, they do not put research into them.

If you are trying to prove no ride has topped the list since 2015 then the dawdling borefest of Icon is not the example I would pick.

That aside that list is a joke.

If you are trying to prove no ride has topped the list since 2015 then the dawdling borefest of Icon is not the example I would pick.

That aside that list is a joke.
I'd say the theming of Icon and the soundtrack is better than the Smiler's (my own opinion) but fair enough.

I absolutely love Icon, personally; it’s easily my favourite UK coaster! The rerideability, smoothness, airtime, pacing and perfect balance of thrills just puts a huge grin on my face every time! The fact that it’s my overall #2 behind only Mako at SeaWorld Orlando speaks volumes about my love for it!

As for the list, maybe that person just really likes inversions?

That seems like a very GP list to me. It's wrong in so many ways. Firstly, rapids shouldn't even be in the top 10 anymore as with the effects off its a shadow of its old self. Also, Rita better than Nemesis? Seriously? How is this writer putting Galactica last aswell. It's a superb ride imo and I'd say in my top 4 at the park. Don't think I disagree with the smiler bit though, it's close between itself and Icon but I'd say the smiler is better

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.