• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The fact that you can’t walk through the gardens without passing someone walking In the direction of Dark Forest declaring that this is “definitely the way to Nemesis” suggests it’s not...
That's usually the GP... ;)

Depends what you think the objective is.
To me they seek more just a marketing tool then something useful.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I thought your first comment was a joke...

A maps sole purpose is to be a navigation tool which the current Alton Towers maps are not. You might not need a map but most guests will.

It's been discussed on here a lot that the latest design isn't very user friendly but now they've removed buildings that are there and paths have become non existent they might have gone slightly OTT. There's no point advertising things they've removed off the map, because people won't find them!

On another point I find it quite amusing that TWODW takes up half of the map but there's not actually anything in it. :tearsofjoy:

(seems lanyard==staff to GP)
As it very much should - why deluded MAP/AP holders choose to wear lanyards is beyond me. It's a very odd entitlement thing lol.

I thought your first comment was a joke...

A maps sole purpose is to be a navigation tool which the current Alton Towers maps are not. You might not need a map but most guests will.
I'm afraid in the eyes of Merlin a map is entirely a marketing tool lol.

The map is just a game of how ridiculous can we make it now. Can just imagine the graphic designers laughing to themselves when they present the latest edition "Bet you £20 I can delete half the area and marketing will still say it looks amazing"
I for one don't need a map. I know my way around the park like the back of my hand, and the signage is good anyway.
That's usually the GP...
Good lord

Apparently there was a staff only event today.

https://daotp.news/2020/06/gallery-alton-towers-partial-reopening-first-look/

I recommend a look at the article as it shows the work that's been taking place, including the measures being put in place for when rides eventually re-open.
Thanks for the link to my site. :)

I’m hoping the markings were just temporary place holders. Signage was being installed as I left. Hopefully more suitable markers will be in place soon.

All staff had masks on which were mostly Merlin branded which was a nice touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it very much should - why deluded MAP/AP holders choose to wear lanyards is beyond me. It's a very odd entitlement thing lol.

I'm afraid in the eyes of Merlin a map is entirely a marketing tool lol.
Pretty sure that's been gone through before, it's not entirely a "I am better then you" thing.

Lanyard wearers give MAP holders a bad name, as does the MAP holder facebook group.

Meanwhile the AT map is all but useless as a navigation tool, obviously we don't need it but they should consider that a large proportion of park visitors could benefit from a usable map rather than a marketing tool designed to look good as a promotional piece in a newspaper.

Those arrows that are supposed to represent social distancing are terrible. No effort gone into them at all.

IMG_E4273-scaled.jpg

I was pressing the arrows on the photo thinking streetview would move me along.

Last edited:
To be fair I think those arrows are fine.

I’ve seen some parks aboard going over the top and almost confusing or messy (yes you Efteling).

At least these are painted and east to understand.

I have seen Merlin parks abroad have branded stickers and stuff, but they are the likes of Sealife and discovery centre, I guess it’s harder outside.

You could have flashing arrows, Tom Hanks dressed as Woody, standing by with a "keep your distance cowboy" sign, a holograph of a Ringwraith to block your path and a warning hooter that goes off in your right ear if you step too near another person and people will STILL not social distance. Those arrows are fine for normal non-idiots who haven't been living off grid for the past 12 weeks. Or have just woken from a deep cryogenic sleep. Then I'd forgive them for not knowing what life is like now.

People are idiots. The idiots are always going to be idiots, nothing you can do to stop them from being what they are. Which is of course an idiot. Or a Covidiot.

People who don't keep 2 metes away when they can (yeah I'm talking about you garden centre worker who squeezed right by me after I had been doing the right thing ALL the way round my anxiety ridden shop), should be put on a ship and cast out into the sea. You like being near people so much? Well you got your wish you muppets.

There's one box of latex gloves, 2 bog rolls and a stale packet of crisps. Enjoy your cruise.

Depends what you think the objective is.
To me they seek more just a marketing tool then something useful.

Any theme park map should serve the purpose to assist guests navigating the park.

It does serve as a marketing tool however that's what the two sides are for... It's easy to get the balance between navigational map and marketing piece.

In the case of the Towers map, it's a mish mash of multiple designs over several years. The 2008 map with multiple layers of confusion thrown on top. It's confusing and I feel sorry for the average guest that will not know the park layout off the back of their hand. Towers is a bit of a unique park where there are so many different routes available that there ideally needs to be a map that can guide guests roughly along a main route if they are a bit lost.

No one is asking for a super accurate map, however there needs to be something a bit more toned back than the messy art piece we currently have.

The 2008 map had the best mix of navigational tool and art piece, they've defaced it since then.

Sent from my Huawei P30 Pro using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.