• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
You'll be stood in the regular queue sandwiched between two vlogggers talking into their GoPros, wishing you were in the pre-show.
Well as long as one of those vloggers is shaun so I can tell him wicker man is better than nemesis, just to see the look on his face that'd be funny

The Wicker Man pre-show is brilliant.

Next you'll be on Hex saying lets skip the cinema room and octagon room, and go straight into the vault...

No. Stop.

The Wicker Man pre-show is brilliant.

Next you'll be on Hex saying lets skip the cinema room and octagon room, and go straight into the vault...

No. Stop.
The difference is hex is the sort ride you go on once. You're not going to re ride hex are you

To be fair not many people will ride Wicker Man 9 times in one day, most people will ride it once or twice at the most.

It's not really 'designed' for people to ride it again and again as it's not what the average guest would do.
I never said they should get rid of it so don't know why people are acting like I did. I meant that I wish they'd let you through if you'd already seen it a few times in a day as seeing the same thing that many times is too much. The pre show goes from being fun to ok we get it

IMO it depends on how long the pre-show is, shorter than 2 minutes is fine but the first one on hex is just over 3 minutes plus there’s another one after.

In my opinion, the pre-show is a large part of what makes Wicker Man such a complete experience, and I hope they don’t have to do without it for too long, if at all!

Wicker Man's pre-show is great! I'd much rather watch it each time I ride than wait it out in the batching room. The theatrics are fantastic, and the fact it's short and punchy make it really enjoyable. Hex, on the other hand, I could only do once a day due to the long pre-show.

Exactly, Hex is a paced out story attraction that you're going to do once a trip. Wicker man is a themed coaster so the preshow got to be more short and punchy to set up the excitement, not so much telling a story because people just want to enjoy the coaster

They're both very good at what they do differently. But Wicker Man is still a ride without the preshow if they're forced to temporarily cut it due to the virus, while Hex is just a random madhouse without the scenes before it

I personally could do without either pre-shows. I rode Wicker Man twice in one day, the first pre-show was fine, the second I was right near the door, so I couldn't see anything except the rams head that was due to make an appearance. I would definitely like an option not to watch it, because once you've seen it once in a day, I feel like I don't need to watch it again. I think some pre-shows probably have more to them, I don't think Wicker Man is one of those. I also don't think you need it, Thi3teen has more potential for telling a story about the ride yet there is none. I think Wicker Man could just be a heavily themed ride.

Same with Hex, which I love, but I only go on it once a trip because of the overly long pre-show. It's a nice relaxing ride, I love looking at all the workings and the theming but I can't be bothered going through the pre-show more than once a day.

I understand they play a role in the queuing and getting the right number of riders through, just sometimes I'd rather be in a normal queue where I can see the end of the line as it were, rather than bunched together with a pile of people who then try and squidge paste people near the front to get on first.

This was the kind of retro merchandise I was hoping for from Alton Towers for their 40th season, not just the current logo slapped on bog standard t-shirts and mugs.

LEGP8gC.jpg

Yep. Really poor effort from Towers. It's almost like hardly any of their staff give a damn about things these days, even the better paid ones who should be putting more effort in. Looks like Thorpe have absolutely put them to shame here. So many possibilities for great items always missed by Towers.

I do wonder if towers would/will get any other 40th merch. I know Thorpe didn’t get their birthday merch right at start of the season. But I guess with the current lockdown if it was produced then it could be cut.

I do wonder if towers would/will get any other 40th merch. I know Thorpe didn’t get their birthday merch right at start of the season. But I guess with the current lockdown if it was produced then it could be cut.
I think there was more planned, especially with the events they were planning for it throughout this season. Most of the stuff they're selling is merch that they'd almost give away at the turnstiles on your way home or have in a pot by the tills everywhere - things like the magnet, pen and keyring. The shutdown happened before they could open to the public properly and while we have seen merch available on the O2 and Blue Light days in some vlogs, there could've been more they put out in the week leading up to the official opening in March that we know nothing about yet.

I've often thought that they should scrap the 40th and do 41st instead. All the branding could have 40 with the 0 crossed out and a 1 "written" over it. Doubt it would happen because of what they've already designed and had made but you never know!

I've often thought that they should scrap the 40th and do 41st instead. All the branding could have 40 with the 0 crossed out and a 1 "written" over it. Doubt it would happen because of what they've already designed and had made but you never know!

Disney are experts at stretching out their parks milestone anniversary celebrations for at least 18 months to 2 years. No reason really why Towers couldn’t extend the 40th celebrations into 2021 if they felt it was worthwhile for marketing/sales etc. Given the current circumstances I’m sure it wouldn’t really matter.

Thank you. That's literally what I meant but everyone took it the wrong way
I don't think so - everyone understood, but massively disagreed :p

Something I meant to add to the discussion as well... how many people outside enthusiast circles actually make a point of re-riding any ride multiple times a day? I know that whenever I've visited Thorpe or Towers with friends who have no deep interest in theme parks, there's never been any thoughts of re-riding.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.