• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

Latest images of the area:

ESgFro3WoAUwnXY
The quality of those fiberglass books is giving me Energylandia VIBES

image.php

Reactions: CGM
in all fairness why are these inflatable arches being used again? As they won’t light up in the day so will just look daft. I don’t get the picket fence behind it either, for the grand reveal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think these arches are only being used during the pre-season days to try and hide some of the building work and provide a bit of advertising for the new area before it opens.

They will be removed for the main season.

Last edited:
in all fairness why are these inflatable arches being used again? As they won’t light up in the day so will just look daft. I don’t get the picket fence behind it either, for the grand reveal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They'll just be used for the press evening and then they'll be removed. As for the picket fences, I can't see any so I can't help you on that one...

To be fair it does look quite similar to the concept art - so well done there. I don't think anyone should be overly critical with what is being done here - it is a low budget re-theme. Towers never promised anything more than they have delivered, and it does breath some fresh life into the area. I am looking forward to the new ride - likely I will ride it once then never again, but that is because it isn't an attraction aimed at me.

It is no SW - but that because it isn't one.

To be fair it does look quite similar to the concept art - so well done there. I don't think anyone should be overly critical with what is being done here - it is a low budget re-theme. Towers never promised anything more than they have delivered, and it does breath some fresh life into the area. I am looking forward to the new ride - likely I will ride it once then never again, but that is because it isn't an attraction aimed at me.

It is no SW - but that because it isn't one.

I mean... the concept art is a photo of the existing area with the colours edited on Photoshop, it's hardly difficult to pull off.

Paultons have shown what can be done on a relatively small budget so I don't think this had to look as dull as it does IMO.

I mean... the concept art is a photo of the existing area with the colours edited on Photoshop, it's hardly difficult to pull off.

Paultons have shown what can be done on a relatively small budget so I don't think this had to look as dull as it does IMO.

I don't really understand what you were looking for? It is a low-budget re theme (or up-cycling) of a near derelict area. It has a unique ride, for a specific demographic. The Paultons new area would be costing multiples of more investment, and contains off-the-shelf rides. It also will likely be their only major investment for years. Towers is likely already finalising their next SW which will be a completely bespoke project.

If you aren't happy with this investment - don't go. I know I would much rather of had a family-thrill ride or an intense flat but that doesn't fill the gap this ride is doing.

The area has been 'up cycled' since at least 2005. I'm surprised those buildings don't buckle under the wight of all the different types of paint that has been slapped on to 'Breathe new life.'

My main gripe is that this is such a wasted opportunity.

The IP is a really good one and they could of gone to town with it, taking their time creating a real brand new area with a proper headline attraction and this second hand track ride would have been a great filler attraction.

I don't see how anyone can criticise Paultons Park. Over the past 10 years that park has been transformed with multiple large investment projects and it doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

This new area at Towers is another case of polishing a turd to make it look good for an advert and then forgetting about it. Tactics that date right back to the aptly named Dung Heap.

I have mixed feelings on this after seeing the photos. I do think with the budget set for the attraction, it's not bad although there are some questionable decisions.

The new paintwork looks decent imo, it fits the theme well and it stands out. The piled up books as you enter feels lazy though. I think they should've added something specific to Walliams like a statue of a character from one of his stories.

Judging from what we've seen of the ride, I think that could be a decent family attraction, but we'll see.

The repaint is what it is and looks a bit naff (the Gangsta Granny building is OK.)

I think the biggest issue is the two existing rides in the area and too young for the demographic of the IP. Frog hoppers are really for the 3-6 age group not the 6-10. And the carousel is similar.

It’s a shame the budget couldn’t stretch to some new flat rides aimed at the correct demographic, I think I could have forgiven the shoddy paint work then.

I see a lot of people comparing TWODW to Tornado Springs at Paultons Park.

While Tornado Springs looks absolutely amazing, I won't deny, the thing to remember about comparing this to Tornado Springs is that Tornado Springs is almost definitely a major year for Paultons Park, whereas TWODW is a low year for Alton Towers. Tornado Springs, in terms of scale of investment, is probably more comparable to an SW year at Alton Towers than The World of David Walliams.

For what it is, I personally think that this area will be a nice fit for the family audience.

What about last year?

While I agree, it's a low budget year my argument is why do this IP in a low budget? They could have saved it up and built it over 2 years and done it properly. why does everything have to be done on the cheap and Knocked up over the closed season?

I don't think anyone would complain if there were construction fences up for 18 months while a real headline attraction/area was being constructed.

Now this just seems like a missed opportunity.

What about last year?

While I agree, it's a low budget year my argument is why do this IP in a low budget? They could have saved it up and built it over 2 years and done it properly. why does everything have to be done on the cheap and Knocked up over the closed season?

I don't think anyone would complain if there were construction fences up for 18 months while a real headline attraction/area was being constructed.

Now this just seems like a missed opportunity.

There is a lot of uncertainty around at the moment - Brexit, Merlin's ownership, the 'success' or the AT Dungeon etc. For all we know, the plans may have been more substantial and scaled back. From a business point-of-view, maybe it does make sense to dip the toe into the Walliams IP, and then move forward from there. There is a lot of scope for low-cost expansion in the area. There is (what we believe to be) a fully functioning 4D theatre which could be utilised. I'm sure it would be pretty easy to loosely theme low-cost off the shelf flats to the IP too. Who knows what the future is.

I appreciate this investment isn’t on the scale that some would like.

However for context, this area of the park was basically abandoned over the past few seasons. This season will see a shuttered attraction space and shop reopened and a refresh of the area. It is an improvement.

I sincerely hope it continues in 2021 with additional rides and attractions and a retheme of the Cuckoo Cars.

By way of a reminder, a few photos of the state of this place between 2016-2020.

6L8gW3D.jpg

Q4VZ3Tk.jpg

shgz3k4.jpg

g4cxOrL.jpg

I don't really understand what you were looking for? It is a low-budget re theme (or up-cycling) of a near derelict area. It has a unique ride, for a specific demographic. The Paultons new area would be costing multiples of more investment, and contains off-the-shelf rides. It also will likely be their only major investment for years. Towers is likely already finalising their next SW which will be a completely bespoke project.

If you aren't happy with this investment - don't go. I know I would much rather of had a family-thrill ride or an intense flat but that doesn't fill the gap this ride is doing.

My point is it still looks like a derelict area, just painted in a different colour.

On the subject of Tornado Springs it might be a major year from them, but that's a small family run park. Compared to Alton Towers which is part of a multi million pound company. A low investment year for Towers should be the same amount Paultons are spending on a high investment.

I'm sure the new ride will be done well but the area looks naff. It makes me laugh that it looks better in the photos AT86 posted than it does now.

To be fair though Monster Attack is the best dark ride in Europe so that bodes well for the new Walliams attraction.
To be fair I had so much fun on monster attack it is one of the most entertaining experiences I have had on a dark ride. It's so bad its hilarious. still recovering from the smoke

I don't think I will find Gangsta Granny will live up to that sadly.

I agree with @AT86; if there was an area of Alton Towers that I would have nominated to have work done to it before this season, it would easily have been Cloud Cuckoo Land. It was a nice little area in its heyday, and I actually really like the original concept of the theme, but I think a combination of CBeebies Land becoming the premier family area in the park and the financial struggles following the 2015 incident affecting the area lineup to a great degree put the final nails in the area's coffin and sealed its long term fate.

I personally think that The World of David Walliams and Gangsta Granny will be exactly the breath of life that the area needed; I think that for what it is, it looks like a promising effort, and I think it should be very successful!