• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: Europa-Park General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Depends on how much it costs and what else the space could be used for during the year. Chances are it'll be more cost-effective to let the sculptures melt and re-make them next winter than keep them in storage for eight months or so.

Keeping the ice sculptures there would mean they'd lose a quite high-capacity show venue, although with the general quality and annual repetition of the show with a slightly changed loose story line, it might have been nice to have the ice sculptures for the year! Especially in the hot weather, could have been rather pleasant. :p

I'll be honest, I'm surprised they commissioned the sculptures in the first places. It was clear there was a strong possibility the Winter event would be cancelled. And even if it wasn't the reduced numbers could of justified cutting a few of the seasonal attractions.

Respect to Europa for not taking this option (at the very least it helped support the business of the Ice Sculptors) but they must of understood there was a good chance it wouldn't open.

I'll be honest, I'm surprised they commissioned the sculptures in the first places. It was clear there was a strong possibility the Winter event would be cancelled. And even if it wasn't the reduced numbers could of justified cutting a few of the seasonal attractions.

Respect to Europa for not taking this option (at the very least it helped support the business of the Ice Sculptors) but they must of understood there was a good chance it wouldn't open.

Roland insists that politicans said to him there was "no chance of a lockdown" just a few weeks before the event was cancelled. I guess they had a lot of these things signed and sealed weeks/months beforehand, too.

:(

Roland insists that politicans said to him there was "no chance of a lockdown" just a few weeks before the event was cancelled. I guess they had a lot of these things signed and sealed weeks/months beforehand, too.

:(
Despite what Roland was told by the politicians I'm sure he did suspect a lockdown was still coming. Our poloticians kept saying the same but most people could see it was going to happen. I suspect that comment, even if made honestly, was a bit of a PR move.
However I completely agree with the contracts being signed. There's a hug project going on where I work that would never have been signed off on in the last year, but the contracts pre-date that.

Reactions: D4n
Despite what Roland was told by the politicians I'm sure he did suspect a lockdown was still coming. Our poloticians kept saying the same but most people could see it was going to happen. I suspect that comment, even if made honestly, was a bit of a PR move.
However I completely agree with the contracts being signed. There's a hug project going on where I work that would never have been signed off on in the last year, but the contracts pre-date that.

There was a hug project going on, but social distancing put paid to that idea.

In Northern Germany numbers are lower and Heide Park took the local government to court hence why they are now open before any other parks. Hansa Park's region due to low numbers have also given the go ahead now but not yet confirmed a reopening date.

In the state of Baden Württemberg projections place leisure reopening mid June. However the entire Europa Park resort, town of Rust and Ringsheim might be opening sooner as a "model region project". Taking the concept of requiring guests to be vaccinated or have a negative test result for entry and overnight stays - currently used in Denmark for leisure and gastro and in Heide Park (without hotels currently) - to the next level.
The success of the project could be key for other parks and future pandemic management (EP to the rescue!).

The park has started hiring again and is gearing up for a hopeful a 22nd May reopening to work out (and if it doesn't there likely won't be a long delay as numbers are declining)

By participating in the scientific project, the amusement park could reopen earlier than otherwise planned
Scientists from the University of Freiburg want to research under controlled conditions at Europa-Park in Rust how the upcoming reopening of an amusement park could affect the pandemic. To this end, Europa-Park has agreed on a joint model test with the State Ministry of Social Affairs, confirmed a spokeswoman for the park on Monday (May 10th, 2021) exclusively in South Baden on request from baden.fm.

When exactly the project can start and when the amusement park will be allowed to reopen to visitors has not yet been determined. But if the announced easing in the country's Corona regulation should come this week, it could theoretically work before Pentecost (weekend of 22nd and 23rd May). The basic prerequisite for this would be that the number of infections in the Ortenau continue to decrease and then remain stable.

The hoped-for findings from Europa-Park are important for the future handling of the pandemic

In the model project, the ministry has set itself the goal of collecting reliable data in various areas of public life on how well the infection situation can be brought under control with sophisticated hygiene concepts - and which opening steps are therefore justifiable from a scientific point of view.

While these findings are already available from schools, retailers and other places, there have not yet been any scientifically based figures for amusement parks, indoor swimming pools and most leisure activities. Europa-Park owner Roland Mack is convinced of the approach:
"We welcome the model project with a sophisticated hygiene concept. Europa-Park already showed last year that it is possible to operate the entire resort with hotels, restaurants and the Rulantica water park, taking into account the extensive hygiene rules. More than two million visitors were in the Europa-Park-Resort in 2020 without incidents or problems. We are aware of the great responsibility of this situation, but see the opening perspective with great confidence."

With a view to its visitors and also to the approximately 4,450 employees and over 8,000 employees at the cooperation partners, Mack hopes that the Europa-Park will open soon. He sees not only his company, but also the community of Rust and the entire region in need of a revitalization of the economy.

The plans of Health Minister Manne Lucha (GREEN) stipulate that the 7-day incidence in the Ortenau for the opening steps must be below the limit of 100 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants for five working days in a row. In the ministry's step-by-step plan, relaxation for amusement parks would actually only be provided again in step three. Before that, it would be about outdoor catering or smaller events.

Until it is the turn of the amusement parks, the infection numbers should actually remain stable below the value of 100 for another four weeks. By participating in the scientific model project, Europa-Park could take on a special role here and, from a legal point of view, open again before Pentecost.

So far, however, this is still a bit of speculation: the Ortenaukreis reported an incident value of 111.8 on Monday and is still in the process of the federal emergency brake. (the number is now under 100 so free of the federal emergency laws and going in the right direction).

All the details of the model project that has been decided upon are still being voted on. But there is a concrete prospect: The first adjustment of the nationwide Corona regulation is expected to take place this week, baden.fm has learned from government circles. Europa-Park has not yet given any further information.

Park has been in the starting blocks for months - many fans are longing for it

While preparations for a possible reopening of the theme park have been in full swing in the background in Rust, many fans have remained loyal to Europa-Park with letters and emails, reports Mack. He therefore feels confident that the Park Resort has a great future as a travel destination again after the corona pandemic.

Europa-Park had to completely stop operating its roller coasters, shows and restaurants since November. Most of the employees were recently on short-time work, but could be kept. Until April alone, the corona crisis caused sales losses of more than 100 million euros at the amusement park in southern Baden.
https://www.baden.fm/nachrichten/eu...-modellprojekt-bei-pandemie-forschung-741846/

https://www.rnd.de/reise/europa-par...rona-lockdown-A5EOI5TVVNAYTFS7BEEF7JJRJI.html

21st May it begins!

The largest amusement park in Germany is finally allowed to reopen: On Friday, May 21, visitors will again be welcomed to Europa-Park in Rust near Freiburg. You can ride roller coasters and wild water rides and use the numerous carousels. The Europa-Park boss Roland Mack announced this to the “Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung”.
Europa-Park dares to make a new start with 3000 visitors
Since Baden-Württemberg starts with a model project in the coming week, the opening became possible. Theme parks are actually only allowed to open in a few weeks and only when a stable incidence below 100 has been reached in the region. Europa-Park can now start a test in time for Whitsun. Initially, 3,000 visitors a day are likely to come, then 10,000. The first thing to do is to try out how the new mandatory test works and how it is implemented. 10,000 visitors would be a quarter of the normal capacity.

Colonial Food Station is no more.

One of the restaurants in Europa-Park will be renamed. The Colonial Food Station, located in the African themed area of Adventure Land, is now called Adventure Food Station. Last year there was still a lot of commotion about the catering location, because the German amusement park would glorify the controversial colonial past of European countries with it.

A Twitter message complaining about the Colonial Food Station and the adjacent boat trip Dschungel-Floßfahrt generated more than ten thousand likes last summer. "In 2020 there are apparently still people who do not understand that this theme is not entertaining or funny," was the message.

Now Europa-Park is intervening. On the website of the amusement park you can read that from now on the term Adventure Food Station will be used. It remains to be seen whether more changes will be implemented in Abenteuerland. Last year, the park promised that "deliberately exaggerated clichés" would be "rethought" in controversial old attractions.
https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/167...-naam-van-Colonial-Food-Station-na-ophef.html

The viral Twitter post and discussion from last summer.
https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/2020-europa-park-general-discussion.5343/page-12#post-302691

Its no secret that the park are aware Adventure Land doesn't fit and is insensitive. Retheme plans exist but were delayed by the Batavia Fire and then again by corona. Very intrigued to see when and how exactly they rework(replace?) the area. I still assume from the 2 new themed areas Michael Mack teased in September last year this will be 1 of them.

Last edited:
Is it known whether Adventure Land is being replaced by the rumoured Croatia themed area with the duelling Mack coasters, or is that going elsewhere, with this being an entirely different project?

Is it known whether Adventure Land is being replaced by the rumoured Croatia themed area with the duelling Mack coasters, or is that going elsewhere, with this being an entirely different project?
I believe the Croatian area will be separate, Adventure Land is actually a relatively small area, It's a lake and a few odd shops/cafés on the perimeter.

For a park the size of Europa will 3,000 even let them break even? If not they'd be better off still closed.

3,000 guests?

I mean... that would be like ATR hosting 1,000. Silver Star can host 1,800 an hour alone.

Is this for real?
I'm unsure. There appears to be much confusion among newspapers now following that first article. For a start the newspaper quotes Roland as saying 21st May while actually it will be 22nd (while still not yet announced tickets can be bought from this date). The night of 21st the hotels are planned to accept guests again ahead of the opening day as far as I know. So I think they misunderstood this most likely.

As for 3,000 whether it again a misunderstanding or genuine I don't know. Another article claims the Friday would be 3,000 as a gradual breaking in and then the weekend onwards 10,000. Eventually coming up to 20,000 in the following weeks if things go well.

Numbers continue to drop in the region well below the required limit so confirmation from the park should be within the next day or two.

Now confirmed the park and hotels will reopen 21. May. Rulantica to follow at a later date.
In close cooperation with the authorities of Ortenaukreis and the state of Baden-Württemberg, we have developed a comprehensive hygiene concept for the re-opening as a model project. Our comprehensive safety and hygiene measures were deemed exemplary by the authorities.

The University Hospital Freiburg advises Europa-Park in regard to the development of the hygiene concept as part of the model project.

We look forward to finally be able to welcome you again at Europa-Park, the themed hotels, the Camp Resort, the hotel gastronomy, as well as at YULLBE from 21. May 2021.

Tickets are available via the ticket shop and stays can be booked via our booking page. A comprehensive hygiene concept as well as numerous measures to reduce the risk of infection guarantee a safe leisure experience in the entire Europa-Park Theme Park and Resort.

The water world Rulantica remains closed until further notice. Unfortunately, events as well as the evening cinema are still suspended.

We look forward to finally be able to Experience. Time. Together. with you again from 21. May 2021.

Your Mack Family
https://www.europapark.de/en/theme-park/info/current-information

Additionally, while the park froze the entrance fee of 55 euros for this year, it turns out during the school holidays/peak times (17.07. - 13.09 and 09.10 - 07.11.) it has now been increased to 60 euros.
187269073_2469430749867381_4730367173279928308_n.jpg

As well as the already announced new Snorri film in the Traumzeit-Dome, there will be a new VR film on offer at Alpenexpress based on the park's Madame Freundenrich dark ride. "Freundenrich Dinosaur Race" will debut in June.
rust-europapark-macht-am-freitag-wieder-auf

€60 is a lot indeed. I always fear that what happens is Disneyland Paris and then Phantasialand pop up their prices, and then EP follow suit.

It is a very high price and seems to follow the 10% annual increase we’ve been seeing for the last couple of years. It’s not that long ago that entry was hovering around €40.

The lack of multi-day tickets and Clubcards (whilst understandable in the circumstances) makes a trip quite the expense. Let’s hope Covid continues to recede and we see this reinstatement soon; the website does suggest they are looking at ways to reintroduce the programme.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.