2021: Europa-Park General Discussion

Discussion in 'EuropaStreet Discussion' started by Jambo, 5th Jan 2021.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    Depends on how much it costs and what else the space could be used for during the year. Chances are it'll be more cost-effective to let the sculptures melt and re-make them next winter than keep them in storage for eight months or so.

2. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    Keeping the ice sculptures there would mean they'd lose a quite high-capacity show venue, although with the general quality and annual repetition of the show with a slightly changed loose story line, it might have been nice to have the ice sculptures for the year! Especially in the hot weather, could have been rather pleasant. :p

3. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I'll be honest, I'm surprised they commissioned the sculptures in the first places. It was clear there was a strong possibility the Winter event would be cancelled. And even if it wasn't the reduced numbers could of justified cutting a few of the seasonal attractions.

Respect to Europa for not taking this option (at the very least it helped support the business of the Ice Sculptors) but they must of understood there was a good chance it wouldn't open.

4. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Roland insists that politicans said to him there was "no chance of a lockdown" just a few weeks before the event was cancelled. I guess they had a lot of these things signed and sealed weeks/months beforehand, too.

:(

Alsty likes this.
  5. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    Despite what Roland was told by the politicians I'm sure he did suspect a lockdown was still coming. Our poloticians kept saying the same but most people could see it was going to happen. I suspect that comment, even if made honestly, was a bit of a PR move.
    However I completely agree with the contracts being signed. There's a hug project going on where I work that would never have been signed off on in the last year, but the contracts pre-date that.

D4n likes this.
  6. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

There was a hug project going on, but social distancing put paid to that idea.

Islander, AT86 and D4n like this.
  7. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    This video is really sad :(

AstroDan and Matt N like this.
    Posted 6th Apr 2021
  8. CSLKenny

CSLKenny TowersStreet Member

In Northern Germany numbers are lower and Heide Park took the local government to court hence why they are now open before any other parks. Hansa Park's region due to low numbers have also given the go ahead now but not yet confirmed a reopening date.

In the state of Baden Württemberg projections place leisure reopening mid June. However the entire Europa Park resort, town of Rust and Ringsheim might be opening sooner as a "model region project". Taking the concept of requiring guests to be vaccinated or have a negative test result for entry and overnight stays - currently used in Denmark for leisure and gastro and in Heide Park (without hotels currently) - to the next level.
    The success of the project could be key for other parks and future pandemic management (EP to the rescue!).

The park has started hiring again and is gearing up for a hopeful a 22nd May reopening to work out (and if it doesn't there likely won't be a long delay as numbers are declining)

https://www.baden.fm/nachrichten/eu...-modellprojekt-bei-pandemie-forschung-741846/

Sam, AstroDan, Matt N and 4 others like this.
  9. CSLKenny

https://www.rnd.de/reise/europa-par...rona-lockdown-A5EOI5TVVNAYTFS7BEEF7JJRJI.html

21st May it begins!

Charlie Newbold, AT86, Alsty and 2 others like this.
  10. CSLKenny

Colonial Food Station is no more.

https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/167...-naam-van-Colonial-Food-Station-na-ophef.html

The viral Twitter post and discussion from last summer.
    https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/2020-europa-park-general-discussion.5343/page-12#post-302691

Its no secret that the park are aware Adventure Land doesn't fit and is insensitive. Retheme plans exist but were delayed by the Batavia Fire and then again by corona. Very intrigued to see when and how exactly they rework(replace?) the area. I still assume from the 2 new themed areas Michael Mack teased in September last year this will be 1 of them.

Last edited: 15th May 2021
  11. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Is it known whether Adventure Land is being replaced by the rumoured Croatia themed area with the duelling Mack coasters, or is that going elsewhere, with this being an entirely different project?

12. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I believe the Croatian area will be separate, Adventure Land is actually a relatively small area, It's a lake and a few odd shops/cafés on the perimeter.

Matt N likes this.
  13. CSLKenny

The coasters with Croatia will be behind Greece/Russia.

Matt N and Thameslink Rail like this.
  14. AstroDan

Favourite Ride:
    Last edited: 16th May 2021
    Burbs likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    For a park the size of Europa will 3,000 even let them break even? If not they'd be better off still closed.

16. CSLKenny

I'm unsure. There appears to be much confusion among newspapers now following that first article. For a start the newspaper quotes Roland as saying 21st May while actually it will be 22nd (while still not yet announced tickets can be bought from this date). The night of 21st the hotels are planned to accept guests again ahead of the opening day as far as I know. So I think they misunderstood this most likely.

As for 3,000 whether it again a misunderstanding or genuine I don't know. Another article claims the Friday would be 3,000 as a gradual breaking in and then the weekend onwards 10,000. Eventually coming up to 20,000 in the following weeks if things go well.

Numbers continue to drop in the region well below the required limit so confirmation from the park should be within the next day or two.

AstroDan likes this.
  17. CSLKenny

Now confirmed the park and hotels will reopen 21. May. Rulantica to follow at a later date.
    https://www.europapark.de/en/theme-park/info/current-information

Additionally, while the park froze the entrance fee of 55 euros for this year, it turns out during the school holidays/peak times (17.07. - 13.09 and 09.10 - 07.11.) it has now been increased to 60 euros.
    [​IMG]

As well as the already announced new Snorri film in the Traumzeit-Dome, there will be a new VR film on offer at Alpenexpress based on the park's Madame Freundenrich dark ride. "Freundenrich Dinosaur Race" will debut in June.
    rust-europapark-macht-am-freitag-wieder-auf

Matt N and AstroDan like this.
  18. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    60 euros is a lot.

I hope they bring back the Clubcard once covid restrictions ease.

AstroDan likes this.
  19. AstroDan

Favourite Ride:
    €60 is a lot indeed. I always fear that what happens is Disneyland Paris and then Phantasialand pop up their prices, and then EP follow suit.

20. venny

venny TowersStreet Member

It is a very high price and seems to follow the 10% annual increase we’ve been seeing for the last couple of years. It’s not that long ago that entry was hovering around €40.

The lack of multi-day tickets and Clubcards (whilst understandable in the circumstances) makes a trip quite the expense. Let’s hope Covid continues to recede and we see this reinstatement soon; the website does suggest they are looking at ways to reintroduce the programme.

AstroDan likes this.