• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
We don't actually know the reasons for closure do we?
...only rumours.
Unless the Towers have come forward to actually make a statement.
Which they won't. The reasons why the main rides are closed are technical issues so not something they would discuss publicly.

We all know ride parts can break due to wear and tear, and this is completely safe as the rides are designed for these failures to happen in a safe, controlled and detectable way. However the press and wider public could infer the component failures are somehow dangerous and that it was pure luck that nothing bad happened. This is not a discussion the park would want to instigate.

As in a permanent “closed” sign at the entrance to CRR’s queue line? Interesting.
Indeed;

Screenshot_20211105-160133.png

As has been said, that's because of the ongoing driver and staff shortage which is affecting virtually everywhere in Europe.

Spot on. I was in France last week & the supply-chain issues are obvious there, i.e. gaps on the supermarket shelves. Had planned to stop off in Majestic Wine in Calais on the way home to full the car boot with beer... but they no longer stock beer as they can't get the stock in (their wine selection was also considerably less than it used to be).

As this was France, we cannot blame Brexit as all the foreign HGV drivers can still work on mainland Europe. In the UK we have pandemic situation "enhanced" by Brexit as has been well documented in the news, the foreign HGV drivers went home. Ditto for many of the Eastern-European workers who filled many of the hospitality jobs over here.

It's not just France affected either - my Dad has just ordered a new car from BMW with a view to a March 1st delivery. In the past has ordered in early November & March 1st has never been an issue. Not any more, due to supply-chain issues with various semiconductor / electronic parts in Germany.

Given that Gerstlauer are a German company, I can quite easily believe the supply-chain issues.

If the Airgates had 4-6 people behind each, how could the pre show be the cause of the lower throughput being suggested?
Because they overfill the room meaning that they can't get everyone through the doors and they have to wait until everyone is out the pre show room before filling it again. They may aswell calculate the greatest but most efficient number so that they can get the group in the pre show all into the station without it spilling out into the room, preventing delays for the next pre show to start

From my experience back in September, the pre-show didn’t have a particularly big effect on the throughput itself, if any. I still timed the throughput at a solid 1,000pph on 3 trains.

The main difference I noticed was that it affected the way in which the queue moved. On my preshow-less rides in June, the queue seemed to move more frequently, but in smaller bursts, whereas with the pre-show in action in September, the queue moved less often, but you moved a fair bit further when it did move.

Because they overfill the room meaning that they can't get everyone through the doors and they have to wait until everyone is out the pre show room before filling it again. They may aswell calculate the greatest but most efficient number so that they can get the group in the pre show all into the station without it spilling out into the room, preventing delays for the next pre show to start
But if there's always enough people waiting at the Airgates to immediately board the next train as @Rick suggested there were at least 3 trains worth then it doesn't effect the throughput at all does it?

Not defending how horrible an experience the pre show can be with the cramming policy at the moment, but it's not effecting throughput at all as you suggested if there's always enough people in the station waiting to board the next vacant train? In fact, with people stacking up through the door from the show room into the station, it's quite the opposite isn't it?

Out of interest, what is the rough capacity of the pre-show room at the moment?

I only ask because I remember the capacity being cited as 48 in the planning application, but it feels like more, because it felt incredibly cramped when I was last there, and it also felt like there wasn’t enough queueing space after the pre-show for the amount of people; I had the pre-show door nearly shut on me twice.

The cramped feel of it, as well as the scrum leaving, is the only thing that I don’t especially enjoy about the pre-show; as much as I previously said about how I wouldn’t be distraught if it went, I’ll admit that I enjoyed the pre-show far more than I’d remembered on my last visit, and I even noticed new little details that I’d never noticed before!

The pre-show has always been a nightmare crowding wise since day 1 as far as I remember.

I wonder if it feels worse now, being crammed in a room with loads of other people, since we are all more used to being kept apart from others?

I wish the pre-show exit had a little more room for the audience to exit in to. The scrum does spoil it a little, and it’s always been a bit awkwardly done.

The bag room could do with being a bit further away too to prevent the haste getting the room filled in the first place.
A flow of a specific number of people (a bit like Hex) would work much better I think.

Even with the issues though, the pre-show is still brilliant and well worth it I think. It really doesn’t mess with throughout at all in my experience

Last edited:
I'd guess it would all depend on how many people the batching host crowd in there. There's a lot of people pushed into that tiny room so I'm never sure how many it is.

I'd guess it would all depend on how many people the batching host crowd in there. There's a lot of people pushed into that tiny room so I'm never sure how many it is.
Got to have been more than 40 or so crammed in when I was stuck in there a couple of weeks back. Would be interesting to know the actual max capacity though.

Sorry if this is a silly question but how do you work out throughputs @Matt N @Rick ? I'd like to try on my next visit :)
I use an app called Dispatch Timer; it’s available in the App Store, and all you do is simply press the “Dispatch” button each time a train passes a given point. It calculates the average dispatch interval based on however many readings you do.

I am more old school than Matt and use a stopwatch and calculator !
That method works too, and in fairness, I guess you could go more geeky and in-depth with that method if you wanted; for instance, I know Coaster Bot does that, and refines it further to eliminate outliers in dispatches (dispatches that are unusually long compared to the others, for instance, as this could have been caused by a guest issue or ride issue)!

re: WM preshow

Based on a ride capacity of about 1000, the preshow room would have to fit an average of 50 people if it ran every 3 minutes (20 times per hour). Given how long it takes to get everyone in and out of the room, I'd say it's running less often than that.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.