• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I think although the display as a whole was one of the best in a few years, I was disappointed in the missing parts in the fireworks. Celebrating the history of the park you can't miss out 2 key coasters that are operating. Galactica for one had no mention at all and WM had the smallest section ever. I know they focused on WM in 2018 but they should've still given it a proper section like the other coasters. Also, despite it being about the 'history' of the park, there was no mention of classic rides like corkscrew, black hole and flume

I think although the display as a whole was one of the best in a few years, I was disappointed in the missing parts in the fireworks. Celebrating the history of the park you can't miss out 2 key coasters that are operating. Galactica for one had no mention at all and WM had the smallest section ever. I know they focused on WM in 2018 but they should've still given it a proper section like the other coasters. Also, despite it being about the 'history' of the park, there was no mention of classic rides like corkscrew, black hole and flume
I agree - it was odd that no mention was given to Galactica and it was even more odd how Wickerman only got a 5 second segment. You’d think a ride themed so heavily with smoke and fire would make for the ideal choice for a segment in the show.

Whilst the display was awesome in terms of the actual fireworks and spectacle, it was a bit of a shame at the lack of a proper story and I felt they could have done a lot more to narrate us through the history of the park

Reading @Danny ’s highs and lows I think a lot is related to the staffing crisis across hospitality this year but linked to that the fact the park doesn’t want to pay a decent wage for those roles.

In entertainment areas where the people are likely better paid things have been great this year.
But in places which rely on large numbers of low paid staff such as food outlets and the hotels they have really suffered. It might not just be low staff number which are the issue, I think as in the other thread the mediocrity is deep-routed, but the staff issue has likely stopped the park improving these areas and increased reliance on food vans to deliver food capacity.

Can't imagine how much it cost to hire 3 fair rides for a year. Although I didn't do the retro rides I'm sad they're leaving will be weird to just see empty spaces again
I'd heard it was a 6 figure number for all 4, not including all the ground works for them.
Lets not forget that all that back path to Roller Disco was resurfaced and Rita's entire queue line fences were replaced, quite a significant investment in that area - whether that was all on the back of Roller Disco arriving or already planned I don't know.

I can't comment on the season as a whole as I only visited a handful of times (Mardi Gras once, Oktoberfest twice, Fireworks) but after having the whole of 2020 off it was wonderful to be back in the park riding coaasters and drinking beers with great friends!

Considering all that has happened in the past couple of years I reckon Towers will consider 2021 as a success. The park certainly appeared popular, and finally we have had a season full of events that make visiting the park so much more enjoyable.

Oktoberfest was a big highlight for me and I think they got it pretty much spot on. Hopefully management have seen that when you put on such events you can make a small fortune in sales of food, beverage and merchandise.

I know it was not a universally popular move but I feel that getting in the four temporary flat rides was a big hit, and it has surely allowed Alton Towers to show the bosses at Merlin that there is an appetite for flat rides on a permanent basis. I really enjoyed the Retrosquad branding/music, and Mixtape was actually really quite good!

The less said about ride availabilty, especially at the end of the season, the better. Sounds like The Smiler and Hex were out of their hands to a large extent, but problems with Thirteen for example really do not help matters. Having to close the ride with even a hint of moisture in the air is laughable.

Very much looking forward to 2022, I hope that they can build on a really solid 2021 season.

Like @Rob I only visited a handful of times but I wanted to give my opinions on the season as a whole.

Events - lots of them and they were all really well done.
opening times - mostly sorted now. Some days weren't spot on because of staffing issues.
Ride availability (reliability) - could have done with improvement. Some rides ended up being quite reliably like the Smiler but that didn't end well. Nemesis also ended up being more reliable towards the end of the season which was a bonus.
Operations - generally good apart from the staffing issue problem meaning that Galactica was sometimes on one station when it should have been on two without question.

Overall the park has done very well this season, its had everything from COVID restrictions to staffing issues and they've come out on top. They've sorted out lots of the big complaints from previous years and I really do think the future is looking up.

I dread to think how many meltdowns would be had if the park deleted the app over closed season, particularly the queue times element. Having the daily dose of "Closed" revoked would be just too much.

I dread to think how many meltdowns would be had if the park deleted the app over closed season, particularly the queue times element. Having the daily dose of "Closed" revoked would be just too much.
At least they keep it up to date! Fantasy Island's app hasn't been updated for years. :p

I walked through the haunted hollow on Saturday and noticed the fake Ivy screens blocking the view into the woodland area that used to house the woodland section of the flume. Some of the trees closest to the path but within the fenced off area were marked with spray paint numbers/lettering too. Have those screens always been there ? I was hoping to get a peek at some of the old flume structures that are still there :)

I walked through the haunted hollow on Saturday and noticed the fake Ivy screens blocking the view into the woodland area that used to house the woodland section of the flume. Some of the trees closest to the path but within the fenced off area were marked with spray paint numbers/lettering too. Have those screens always been there ? I was hoping to get a peek at some of the old flume structures that are still there :)

Maybe they could turn it into a budget scare maze for next year?

I saw a vlog in youtube where an enthusiast mentioned he was told that Towers were hoping to be open all year round by 2024. I'm not sure how reliable this is or if its even a possibility but I was wondering if you guys ever think it'll happen

I saw a vlog in youtube where an enthusiast mentioned he was told that Towers were hoping to be open all year round by 2024. I'm not sure how reliable this is or if its even a possibility but I was wondering if you guys ever think it'll happen
Opening all year round in some capacity wouldn't be a big shock. They already do christmas events and such like and they have done February half term events before. I think it's certainly possible for something the park might look at. Obviously all the rides couldn't run all year round however with the success of the garden and towers open days during partial lockdowns I don't see why they couldn't do something similar when the rides are closed.

Whether the rumour is true I have no idea but I somewhat doubt that they were told that. I do not however think it is out of the realms of possibility of something that could happen in the long term. It's not something I would be opposed to and in fact I think it would be a nice thing but I'm not sure how financially viable it may be to open during certain months.

They can barely keep the rides open and functional as it is with a 4+ month closed season. They’re going to have to massively step up their maintenance/tech services game to open year round.

They can barely keep the rides open and functional as it is with a 4+ month closed season. They’re going to have to massively step up their maintenance/tech services game to open year round.
A good point and something I forgot to mention however if they only intend on opening the gardens and towers ruins during winter, expect christmas event, they may be able to manage perfectly fine. It's an interesting rumour and something very interesting to think about in the long-term but I don't think the park could handle it in the short term.

A good point and something I forgot to mention however if they only intend on opening the gardens and towers ruins during winter, expect christmas event, they may be able to manage perfectly fine. It's an interesting rumour and something very interesting to think about in the long-term but I don't think the park could handle it in the short term.
Apparently the idea is that with there being no winter maintenance time, towers would allocate a month for certain rides where they will do maintenance

Apparently the idea is that with there being no winter maintenance time, towers would allocate a month for certain rides where they will do maintenance
Ahh that's what a lot of the American parks do. If Towers did that, they would need to publicize the closures well in advance.

That's somewhat unrealistic then. As much as they would have time to improve there maintenance team by 2024 they've also got the british weather to contend with. Certain rides will not be able to run in December, January and February as it's simply too cold. I'm not sure they'd be able to keep enough of the park open to make it viable during the cold months long term. It's a nice idea and it would be the only one of its sort in the UK but I'm just not sure, even by 2024, whether that's likely. If the park was stacked with Dark Rides and indoor shows they could get away with it but I'm just not sure they could at current ride levels.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.